Thread: Hi! I'm new to RetroArch, and Emuparadise and I have a few questions to ask if ya'll don't mind?

Thanks

Default Hi! I'm new to RetroArch, and Emuparadise and I have a few questions to ask if ya'll don't mind?

Ok so far I've had no problems with most of the emulators on RetroArch, but as soon as I came across the psx emulator I encounter problems. The mednafen_psx_libretro.dll will not load any of the psx games I download at all, and I know you suppose to use the cue/bin psx files to load them. Whenever I try to load them it says:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program:C:/Users/My Name/Desktop/RetroArch/retroarch.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
    unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

And I search around and got two different answers, one someone said I needed the scph5500/5501/5502.bin bios and two I needed to disable the bios. I don't know which one is correct, but I found some bios on here. But they don't have scph5501 just scph5500 and scph5502, and I hear you could use scph7003 in place of scph5501. And which folder would I put the bios downloads in on RetroArch to get them to work, the system folder or what and will I have to change the directory on RetroArch? Before I try any of this can someone give me accurate directions on how I can get the mednafen_psx_libretro.dll to work on RetroArch, I would highly appreciate it so much thanks?
    Last edited by Flopping29; 28th-March-2016 at 21:16.

Thanks
    EP Points

Put the bios files in the "system" folder and the should work there.

Here is a link to a tutorial video I made for someone who asked me to show them how to set Retroarch for PC Engine CD. I figured I would do the Sega CD and PSX in the video at the same time. Just in case your bios are not correct I have a link to a mega download with the correct bios for all 3 of those systems in the video description.

https://youtu.be/jXSrVEU7cWc
    Last edited by lordmonkus; 29th-March-2016 at 00:00.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You most likely need the bios pack

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/in...Emulator_Files

Top link, any other issues feel free to ask me as I am the resident Retroarch guy.

Edit: You must set the bios directory in Retreoarch settings, put the bios files in the Retroarch system folder and direct retroarch to that folder and hit exit to save your changes in case it crashes.
    Last edited by Warrior; 29th-March-2016 at 01:52.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lordmonkus View Post
    Put the bios files in the "system" folder and the should work there.

Here is a link to a tutorial video I made for someone who asked me to show them how to set Retroarch for PC Engine CD. I figured I would do the Sega CD and PSX in the video at the same time. Just in case your bios are not correct I have a link to a mega download with the correct bios for all 3 of those systems in the video description.

https://youtu.be/jXSrVEU7cWc
    I appreciate this so very much man thanks , everything is working fine now except some of the games be slowing down on some parts in the game like gameplay and cutscenes anime etc. And some games will lag slow down period unless I have the charger pluged in, if I unplug the charger it will slow down the entire time and i have it on high performance too. Is there any way I can fix this in the RetroArch setting, or something because it's annoying thanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    You most likely need the bios pack

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/in...Emulator_Files

Top link, any other issues feel free to ask me as I am the resident Retroarch guy.

Edit: You must set the bios directory in Retreoarch settings, put the bios files in the Retroarch system folder and direct retroarch to that folder and hit exit to save your changes in case it crashes.
    I appreciate this so very much man thanks , everything is working fine now except some of the games be slowing down on some parts in the game like gameplay and cutscenes anime etc. And some games will lag slow down period unless I have the charger pluged in, if I unplug the charger it will slow down the entire time and i have it on high performance too. Is there any way I can fix this in the RetroArch setting, or something because it's annoying thanks?

Also I will keep that in mind, your the go to guy for RetroArch

Ya'll both helped me out alot, I appreciate it so very much thank you guys
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 30th-March-2016 at 17:12. Reason: treble post

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Can you tell me the details of your PC?

If you have any special graphics settings in your GPU that may cause issues with Retroarch.

Its best to set it to let the program decide.

Edit: In Retroarch go to Settings>Video>Threaded Video>Set to ON.

While in there turn Force-disable SRGB FBO on as well then you can use shaders without the colors going bonkers.
    Last edited by Warrior; 30th-March-2016 at 17:07.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Can you tell me the details of your PC?

If you have any special graphics settings in your GPU that may cause issues with Retroarch.

Its best to set it to let the program decide.

Edit: In Retroarch go to Settings>Video>Threaded Video>Set to ON.

While in there turn Force-disable SRGB FBO on as well then you can use shaders without the colors going bonkers.
    Here you go it's a Laptop...

How do I let the program decide, and I don't know how to use the shaders what do they do? I just got this Laptop last month, and I haven't mess with the graphics settings on the GPU at all. But I'm about to try these things on RetroArch you told me about thanks, also does Retroarch have a default button to default everything on it?
    Last edited by Flopping29; 1st-April-2016 at 11:40.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm thinking that Product ID number in the photo could be something you want to edit out.

And that 2 GHz processor might be an issue, too.

A couple things to try:

On the bottom right, right click the battery icon, which should take you to the Power Options Control Panel. Here you will see that there are different settings for Plugged/Unplugged. This is why you notice a performance drop on High Performance (saving power when unplugged). So just to make it clear, you can change settings here to increase the performance while unplugged but you will drain your battery faster. To alleviate that, in Power Options, click Change plan settings to the right of High performance, click Change advanced power settings, scroll down to Processor power management, lower the Minimum processor state a bit, and click Apply. This means your CPU isn't always running at top power, which can save power when games are minimized/not running.

If you don't have Catalyst Control Center you can download it from AMD.com under Drivers+Support. Once this is installed and open, find the Gaming tab on the left and click it, then click 3D Application Settings. Set everything you can to Use Application Settings, set Texture Filtering Quality to Performance, and other settings on the topmost setting. Then click Apply at the bottom. This should let your games/emulators choose most of the settings they will use and make things a bit less demanding on your CPU. Like Warrior said, "It's best to let the program decide."

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Go to your graphics GUI in the control panel and see if its set to something other than default.

I believe there is a way to default it but to everyone that is a big no no because of the setting up you have to do, easiest way to default is to just make a new updated directory and start over from scratch.

Thanks

The Mednafen PSX core never seemed very GPU hungry to me and CPU-wise, it runs fine even on my antique (Core 2 Duo E8400). It's my go to solution for playing PS 1 games. If you're getting slowdown on newer, better hardware, something's wrong.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by mjkrow View Post
    The Mednafen PSX core never seemed very GPU hungry to me and CPU-wise, it runs fine even on my antique (Core 2 Duo E8400). It's my go to solution for playing PS 1 games. If you're getting slowdown on newer, better hardware, something's wrong.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Mednafen is entirely CPU dependent like MAME but the GPU settings will effect Retroarchs and any other emu of the sorts performance and cause it to be wonky.

Its best to have the GPU settings on default or a known setting that does not cause trouble with emus and PC games.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    I'm thinking that Product ID number in the photo could be something you want to edit out.

And that 2 GHz processor might be an issue, too.

A couple things to try:

On the bottom right, right click the battery icon, which should take you to the Power Options Control Panel. Here you will see that there are different settings for Plugged/Unplugged. This is why you notice a performance drop on High Performance (saving power when unplugged). So just to make it clear, you can change settings here to increase the performance while unplugged but you will drain your battery faster. To alleviate that, in Power Options, click Change plan settings to the right of High performance, click Change advanced power settings, scroll down to Processor power management, lower the Minimum processor state a bit, and click Apply. This means your CPU isn't always running at top power, which can save power when games are minimized/not running.

If you don't have Catalyst Control Center you can download it from AMD.com under Drivers+Support. Once this is installed and open, find the Gaming tab on the left and click it, then click 3D Application Settings. Set everything you can to Use Application Settings, set Texture Filtering Quality to Performance, and other settings on the topmost setting. Then click Apply at the bottom. This should let your games/emulators choose most of the settings they will use and make things a bit less demanding on your CPU. Like Warrior said, "It's best to let the program decide."
    How do I lower the minimum processor state a bit, under it I see "On battery (%):" and under it "Plugged in:", I don't see a bar to lower it or anything. What should I change the on the on battery and plugged in percent to thanks?

And thanks everyone for ya'll help
    Last edited by Flopping29; 2nd-June-2016 at 03:25.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Flopping29 View Post
    How do I lower the minimum processor state a bit, under it I see "On battery (%):" and under it "Plugged in:", I don't see a bar to lower it or anything. What should I change the on the on battery and plugged in percent to thanks?

And thanks everyone for ya'll help
    The lower you set the Minimum Processor State, the more performance issues you will have. Plugged in should stay at 100% if you want stable gameplay. On Battery, try 60 or 80 and see if you get performance hiccups. As I said before, setting this and Maximum Processor State lower will save battery but decrease performance. Set it at 100% for best performance if you know you can recharge soon. From what I can tell this changes how much power your processor gets which will effectively make it run at less than 2GHz.

It's not a bar, click the + next to it and you will see a line under it that looks like

Setting: 100%

Click the blue number and it will turn into a box where you can change the number as desired.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 2nd-June-2016 at 06:54.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.