Thread: Softmodding an original box help please

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by padz007uk View Post
    Right I done the xboxhdm CD it failed when I selected 1 it went to a black screen. an when I select 2 it boots but says kernal panic and stops, so this morning ended up ordering an eeprom reader/writer on eBay for 8pounds :) think I might try a new hdd if that's possible with this bit of kit

I've found the old CD I had which I've used to rescue a few error 16 Xbox consoles.

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Password: http://www.epforums.org/

Had a quick google for a guide since it has been that long since I used this, this might help.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...rough-xboxhdm/

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...f-hotswapping/
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 24th-March-2016 at 21:31.

Thanks

Mate that's awesome thank you bud, I'm going to have ago in a few hours as the little lady has the telly during the day lol cheers again for that your a star

All sorted now cheers guys I used the eeprom reader an unlocked the hdd's, installed evox dash on both
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-March-2016 at 07:41.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Cool that is a great start

Recommend XBMC as your Dash though, it has many game fixes implemented directly into the dash that Evox is completely missing and is a more user friendly environment for games from HDD and in general (though strongly recommend you go for a large drive for running anything from HDD 100GB at least that should allow for a few large games to be installed though I would go bigger than that, I have something like 700GB of storage)

If you do start running from HDD a few games do still require fixing to do so, or you can always run a certain CD/DVD drive emulator directly on the Xbox

Fixes can be found in our Xbox uploads (Most I made myself ) if you look at the master list and scroll down they are tagged to make it easier to find them

P.S. you use that eeprom to create a new HDD, I would also keep the old HDD as a backup in case anything does happen as well as the epprom, kept in a couple of locations like USB a CD and maybe even in an attachment to an email to yourself

Why HDD and not CD/DVD well the drive in the Xbox is often the first thing to go on it, usually it is just that the drive eventually stops you from ejecting that is the common one but the laser itself will also go quicker from reading burned media

If you are on a PAL console you may want to patch the dash to NTSC that will also stop PAL regional Original from booting though otherwise from HDD the games are not locked to any region another advantage is if you use HD component cables for video Patching to NTSC unlocks 480p, 720p and 1080i, though few games actually support the latter 720p and 1080i, it also help a few NTSC games run perfect that otherwise do have issues (Patching games on the fly with the dash does to run in NTSC mode not fix those games though that is w2hy the Dash patch needs to be done, but those games are few between so no rush to patch the dash at the moment and don't seem to have problems with PAL games on a NTSC dash even those that do not support 480p/i can still run fine with the dash setting PAL mode on the fly, the issue seems to only be one way)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-March-2016 at 08:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Awesome thanks for the help mate, I am going to mess with one and keep trying different dashes as evox is messy n I like the maximus arcade sort of style but the only one that's close is coinops I think, ones got a broke. Disk drive already so that's my test unit for now seems it also has Vaseline and toothpaste as CPU heat paste lol it actually works tho so don't knock it till you tried it

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can try as much as you like just install whatever you like as an app including dashboards

My main one as you may of guessed is XBMC but I also use Avalaunch more for FTPing with as it is faster than any other standard dash with the use of qwix PC side ftp software (for disc images rather than individual files so perfect for transferring xbox games over), I also tried coinops as well (installed as an app) though found it too limited for my use but that was just a personal preference and stick to individual emulators mostly

The video is my xbox though it is an older version of the dash I use as it has been updated since I recorded that and it is very much skinned to look like one of the older xbox 360 dash's but it is an original xbox (it only shows the dash booting really the video is aimed at showing something else off and on an account I no longer use anyway)

Kodi if you have heard of it or used was based on XBMC

Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-April-2016 at 04:08.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Awesome mate I did have xbmc that came on the disk with my eep reader but it wasn't a complete file like most of the stuff (tools)that came on the disk lol I don't spose you would have a set of working emulators I could pinch I downloaded so many and they are either messed up or just don't work at all lol and to upgrade my hdd do I need a drive that locks still or now its softmodded can I chuck any old one in. Cheers for helping the novice zorlon bud your a star

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hint some emulators need the roms to be extracted (This is true for some of the Retroarch cores for the Xbox) most can play zipped roms just fine though

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?62260 I done a little guide on where to find em mostly

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Cheers bud got it working but the ps1 emulator wasn't as smooth as I was told it was going to be lol I played around with the settings an it only got worse from there standard xbox games either on disk or the hdd play fine though, so now I need a hdd upgrade not got hdd yet but soon as I do I'm all over it

An do you lot mod any other consoles?
    I have to say my favorite one so far out of the xbox,ps1,ps2,ds,wii its the wii with a gamecube controller an wiiflow 500gb hdd all old classics nes,snes,genesis,,gameboys,n64 wii games and gamecube games its shit hot just wondering what you guys prefer out of the modded ones you have played. I'm a zelda fan have been since the first game boy came out so probably why I chose the wii

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PSX emulation on Xbox works great but not with all games and some need major tweaking also

It may of just been the game/games you tried that had been a problem

Emulation is something I left behind as the Wii is a better console for it to be honest, don't get me wrong the Xbox is good with what it has, but very little work goes into xbox now

Wii is the best to mod console, personally it is softmodded and use USB Loader GX

I have though

GBA x4 (Did have flash kits ) (still use those with GC games)
    DS Lite (Flash Kit)
    3DS & 3DSXL (Flash Kit)
    N64 (Flash Kit)
    Wii (Soft mod)
    Saturn (Flashed Memory Cart aka Pseudo)
    Dreamcast (No mod needed) the console kicks ass I still go back it more often than any other console
    PSX (Back port cart/swop trick = this collects dust)
    PSone (Mod chip)
    PS2 (Soft mod)
    PS3 (Retail)
    PS4 (Retail)
    PSP (Soft mod)
    PS Vita (Retail)
    Xbox (Soft mod)
    Xbox 360 (Retail)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-April-2016 at 08:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

^^ really?
    come now, that's not true at all.
    (e m u x t r a s)
    granted, it's not like it even emulated an amiga well (imo) but that doesn't alter the fact stuff is still worked on and relzed.
    (@ op. look for SPPV's babylon2 archive out there, it's the one-stop ALL in one solution to juicing ANY working xbox.
    yeah, i'm late, just pitching out options...

Thanks

Jesus just a few then lol an didn't realise you could get flash carts for all those consoles thought was for ds only lol I'm well behind might have to look into some in a second an I'm going to get a bigger hdd today see if I can upgrade from this 10gb crap its pathetic

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by padz007uk View Post
    might have to look into some in a second
    You can find most of the console flash cards here:
    https://shop.retrogate.com/

They're expensive. If you have friends it's useful to do a group purchase for that bulk discount.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here