Thread: Getting Crash Team Racing PAL to run without paradox patch

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Getting Crash Team Racing PAL to run without paradox patch

Hi! I'm using RetroArch 1.3.2 on my Arch Linux system. Practically, it is a RetroArchLinux (Ha. Ha. Ha.)

I'm using mednafen 0.9.38.6 core (Installed directly from RetroArch's Online Updater) to emulate PSX games.

My problems obviously come with dreaded CTR. I've downloaded toxic's redump verified .bin/.cue directly from this thread, but as soon as I'm about to start a race, the game hangs on the Loading... writing on the chequered flag.

I understand it is for copy protection introduced in the last two Crash Bandicoot games for the PlayStation, so I downloaded Warrior's collection of .ppf patches from this thread. There are three patches for CTR EURO PAL: BS, KAL (Kalisto) and PDX (Paradox).

PDX works succesfully, but alterates the game with a fishy and loud splash before the game, to act as a PAL/NTSC selector. I really dislike that, as it makes the game look phony. I'd like to have an unadulterated vanilla game working, as if I ut my original CD into my PlayStation.

However, the first two do not work. I'm particularly interested in the first, as it is said to introduce no alteration (welcome screen), while the second should do like PDX.

I'm applying the patch with Icarus/Paradox applyppf 3.0, which does the work just fine, as proven by the fact PDX works. However, while KAL gives me a black screen just before the splash should appear, after the PS logo, BS seems to have no effect, as the game runs untouched until I get into my first race, the chequered flags appears, the Loading... writings goes on and off a few times and then, after it has finished loading, just before the race starts, it hangs.

So, I wanted to ask you why BS (and KAL) does not work, and if any of you had any luck with it. Then, is it possible to modify a ppf patch, to remove PDX's video selection screen?

As last detail, as proven by the fact the game boots, I'm using a correct scph5502.bin bios, with md5=32736f17079d0b2b7024407c39bd3050 and dumped by Shadow, got from here

The Dude minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

You can't use a 1:1 copy and the relevant sbi file?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    You can't use a 1:1 copy and the relevant sbi file?
    You. Are. My. Hero.

I sweated and swore for two entire days (I mean almost every wake hour of each) and discovered new worlds about emulation (I just found out about RetroArch and mednafen and I'm frankly blown away).

I didn't know about ppf as well before finding out on my own yesterday, but I didn't find out anything about sbi. You completely solved my problem.

I report that putting the corresponding sbi file (a full collection can be taken here, while single files of specific games are available here) in the same folder as the game, with the same filename makes LibCrypt games like CTR work correctly using RetroArch 1.3.2 with mednafen 0.9.38.6 core when running the .cue file.

You made my day, thanks a ton!

The Dude minds.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I'm not an emulation guy so I wasn't sure if mednafen could use the sbi option tbh epsxe can though iirc.

Spoiler warning:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well I'm not an emulation guy so I wasn't sure if mednafen could use the sbi option tbh epsxe can though iirc.
    Mednafen PSX is the most accurate PSX emulator so..........yeah.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Apparently it can't accurately emulate a proper stealth modchip though

Spoiler warning:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Apparently it can't accurately emulate a proper stealth modchip though
    it bypasses PSX disc protection so no idea on any issues since it just works.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.