Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help "How to" (R4 3DS card)

Thanks

Default Need help "How to" (R4 3DS card)

Not sure if this is the right section but I need help. I just purchased a R4 3DS card for my sons 2DS. Is there a step by step on how to download games onto the micro DS card and to get it to work on the gaming device? I have tried doing all types of searches and so far nothing has worked for me. I'm sure it is not hard I just can't figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    EP Points

A 3DS card is the same shape, and size as an SD card, right? Try putting a game onto the SD card and stick it into the 2DS.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Researcher View Post
    A 3DS card is the same shape, and size as an SD card, right? Try putting a game onto the SD card and stick it into the 2DS.
    Please ignore that post... just an epic fail to be of any help (a 3DS card is nothing like a SD card)

Do note that what you have is not a 3DS flash kit but a DS flash kit that can work on a 3DS (This is partial presumption because you have not given enough information, but if it has 3DS game funtions this can be a bit more complicated)

I hope the kit was firmware updated to work on whatever firmware you are currently using on the 2DS console

First thing is to go to the official site for your kit (address should be on the card sticker) grab the kernal file (it's system software for the kit) there should be instruction on the sate for your kit (once you have that installed onto the micro SD you are set for putting DS roms onto the card)

the only real thing you need to do is extract the DS roms before you copy them over there is also AP patching that is required for some games, thankfully not all though

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thank you for the help. Below is the card I bought.

I have downloaded the kernel onto the SD card.

My problem is the few sites that I have gone to download games from is stumping me. I am not sure if I am doing it right. I download the game and save it onto the SD card. When I check to see if it shows up on the 2DS nothing is there. What am I doing wrong? Is there some kind of tutorial?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Please ignore that post... just an epic fail to be of any help (a 3DS card is nothing like a SD card)

Do note that what you have is not a 3DS flash kit but a DS flash kit that can work on a 3DS (This is partial presumption because you have not given enough information, but if it has 3DS game funtions this can be a bit more complicated)

I hope the kit was firmware updated to work on whatever firmware you are currently using on the 2DS console

First thing is to go to the official site for your kit (address should be on the card sticker) grab the kernal file (it's system software for the kit) there should be instruction on the sate for your kit (once you have that installed onto the micro SD you are set for putting DS roms onto the card)

the only real thing you need to do is extract the DS roms before you copy them over there is also AP patching that is required for some games, thankfully not all though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-March-2016 at 22:02.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://www.r4isdhc.com/ is the official site (or that is what I could make out from the photo on the store you linked) store links however are not allowed here

Take it you got the official 3.7b kernal

You should just be able to extract the roms directly on the MicroSD

A game should be shown on the 2DS to represent the flash card (this is just with the kernal on the card) [If nothing is shown then it has not worked and it is possible that the firmware on the 2DS is too high for the card to work]

once you load the card a menu should show, even if the nds files are in the incorrect location then you should be able to look through the folders on the Micro SD from the menu

I don't have this card myself by the way I use a few kits but not the R4 clone series, the only R4 I ever owned was the original one that even back then was a clone of a M3 card from back in the day

I'm not even sure you have a real kit or just fake version that will not work with the official r4isdhc kernals
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-March-2016 at 22:38.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thank for all your help. I have since figured it out. I have found a couple of other sites, but the files are not .nds. Are they downloaded the same way?

http://www.r4isdhc.com/ is the official site (or that is what I could make out from the photo on the store you linked) store links however are not allowed here

Take it you got the official 3.7b kernal

You should just be able to extract the roms directly on the MicroSD

A game should be shown on the 2DS to represent the flash card (this is just with the kernal on the card) [If nothing is shown then it has not worked and it is possible that the firmware on the 2DS is too high for the card to work]

once you load the card a menu should show, even if the nds files are in the incorrect location then you should be able to look through the folders on the Micro SD from the menu

I don't have this card myself by the way I use a few kits but not the R4 clone series, the only R4 I ever owned was the original one that even back then was a clone of a M3 card from back in the day

I'm not even sure you have a real kit or just fake version that will not work with the official r4isdhc kernals

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What are they if they are not *.nds files

Nintendo DS games are always in *.nds format but may be compressed in another format (occasionally I have seen some renamed to ND5 or some such to try and make the upload last longer, you just rename those to nds though), simple answer would be to extract them, but without knowing what format they are I can't give you much more help

P.S. there are a lot of bad sites with files they claim to be one thing are something totally different or just a virus
    I am sure we have a full DS rom set anyway on the main site
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-March-2016 at 05:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay... didn't need to be rude about that.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't mind if you want to try and help but please try and stick to what you know it can be dangerous to offer help on something you do not know about and can result in none working hardware (aka brick the console) or damage other hardware

The comment was not aimed at you though as any sort of insult, but to the OP of this thread as a warning not to take that advice as forcing a 3DS or DS card into a SD port will do damage to both the port and the card.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

I have noticed some .rar, .zip and I think .7z files. It took me forever to figure out how to do .nds files. I hope I don't have to figure out these other files. Are there other sites that have just .nds files?

What are they if they are not *.nds files

Nintendo DS games are always in *.nds format but may be compressed in another format (occasionally I have seen some renamed to ND5 or some such to try and make the upload last longer, you just rename those to nds though), simple answer would be to extract them, but without knowing what format they are I can't give you much more help

P.S. there are a lot of bad sites with files they claim to be one thing are something totally different or just a virus
    I am sure we have a full DS rom set anyway on the main site

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by theguru14 View Post
    I have noticed some .rar, .zip and I think .7z files. It took me forever to figure out how to do .nds files. I hope I don't have to figure out these other files. Are there other sites that have just .nds files?

Rar, zip and 7z are all compressed file formats. Basically it reduces the size of a file to save space, you can easily extract the nds file by installing Winrar or 7-zip.

Thanks
    EP Points

The comment was not aimed at you though as any sort of insult.
    Even though

..just an epic fail to be of any help
    was written to seem that way.

Thanks

I have WinRAR. I have noticed that some of the files I have downloaded from this site are .rar and when I extract them it changes to .nds. Are there other sites you could give me to download games?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    Rar, zip and 7z are all compressed file formats. Basically it reduces the size of a file to save space, you can easily extract the nds file by installing Winrar or 7-zip.

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by theguru14 View Post
    I have WinRAR. I have noticed that some of the files I have downloaded from this site are .rar and when I extract them it changes to .nds. Are there other sites you could give me to download games?

I think no matter which sites you download DS games from, they'll more than likely all be zipped files.

EP has pretty much all you could want. It's not that hard to extract a file, you can even double click the rar file (a window opens) and drag the game to your sd card without actually extracting to your pc, it's a bit slower though.

Here's a link to EP's DS rom section.
    http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_D...-All-Titles/32

Here are large packs so you don't have to download each game separately.
    http://www.emuparadise.me/Complete_R...ting-With-N/37

Thanks

I think I am understanding it more and more now. So what I can gather from most of the sites that there are no newer games after around 2012 available to download. Thank you for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    I think no matter which sites you download DS games from, they'll more than likely all be zipped files.

EP has pretty much all you could want. It's not that hard to extract a file, you can even double click the rar file (a window opens) and drag the game to your sd card without actually extracting to your pc, it's a bit slower though.

Here's a link to EP's DS rom section.
    http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_D...-All-Titles/32

Here are large packs so you don't have to download each game separately.
    http://www.emuparadise.me/Complete_R...ting-With-N/37