Thread: Will this laptop run ps2 emulator or is it good for gaming.

Thanks

Default Will this laptop run ps2 emulator or is it good for gaming.

http://m.sears.com/dell-refurbished-...SPM10236666518

I'm trying to find a decent laptop for gaming and I read a lot of talk about needing a good RAM and at least 2. Whatever GHz and I found this. So tell me will this run ps2 or even gamecube?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My desktop is getting a bit old. It has AMD A8-3870 APU@ 3GHz. Based on that, I would say you won't get good performance out of PS2 Emulation. Also New Super Mario Bros. Wii doesn't run well on Dolphin so you probably won't get great speeds on Gamecube either. So you're probably looking at PS1/Nintendo 64, tops. PC game-wise, I would say you might be able to play some 2015 games smoothly.

The AMD A8-3870 with a GeForce 460 would run some PS2 games well, and would run most parts of New SMB Wii smoothly. Without the Vid card, not so much.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

Erm it has integrated graphics so not sure that it will emulate ps2 games that well....its difficult to tell cos even if you have a good spec machine the way a PC provissions resources is different to a console which is more proficient at doing its job with way less spec cpu ram and gpu.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks

they should .and Alienware is a good gaming laptop,but should run fine on yours theirs other PS 1,2 emulators you just have to find the right one and theirs mame which plays I think any game...

Thanks
    EP Points

Meh I think you could run a fair number of PS2 games at full speed with that. Depends on the game sometimes.

You're only stopper really is the gpu. Not that it wouldn't do the job for most things but I have killed/overheated integrated gpu's by pushing things when it comes to games/graphics so be careful.

Also make sure when gaming that you're just gaming. Turn off any and all background garbage, stay off the internet etc. for a teeny boost.

Thanks

Need to replace my gaming laptop, and am looking for something in the say $1000 price range. Have been reading reviews and the ASUS ROG seems to be a very good option in the price range. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Best thing to do is look at the pcsx2 website and look at the spec recommendations

I am sure it will run PS2 games fine mostly (if pcsx2 is setup correctly for that hardware) but it will still have issues with some of the higher demanding games and games not yet supported by pcsx2 (the latter can't be helped by hardware you will just have to wait and see if the compat is boosted by pcsx2 updates) most of the demanding games though should run ok but can think of a couple that even this will struggle with

Spec wise the machine isn't too bad especially for a laptop, but at the end of the day it is a laptop so when higher specs are needed you would need to get a whole new machine but a desktop can just be updated with new hardware (New CPU new graphics card ect something that is not an option for a laptop)

Note that the CPU boosting option will make the machine run hotter forcing the fan to run faster and louder and make it more prone to overheating and freezing the machine up or even burn it out eventually it will also us the battery up quicker
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-March-2016 at 08:40.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ginoa03 View Post
    Need to replace my gaming laptop, and am looking for something in the say $1000 price range. Have been reading reviews and the ASUS ROG seems to be a very good option in the price range. Suggestions are welcome.
    I'd go with a Alienware it's built for gaming...

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by demareplub View Post
    I'd go with a Alienware it's built for gaming...
    It's just a brand (one that you pay for (It's actually Dell)) and not the only ones that have machines build for gaming, the laptop linked is also built for gaming

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

it's the best I know of Asus is like a subsidiary so foe plus cheap I wached the prices go up middle class like I go with the best regardless of what they say you said a good gaming laptop I simply responded alienware..

Thanks
    EP Points

Dell isn't really a good pick for gaming. Try Cyberpower or Asus. You should get a gaming pc or just a desktop because most low-tier gaming laptops are usually $600.