Thread: NDS problem.

Thanks

Default NDS problem.

Hi everyone,

I have a little problem when i'm trying to play ome of the ROMs on the NDS.
    I have downloaded some ROMs from the site and put the ROMs on a SD card in the R4SDHC card.
    The game plays in the beginning just fine but after a few minutes the game freezes.
    Firmware what's on it is the latest i could find (version 1.32) so no problems with that.

But my question is if there mabye is a solution for thisproblem?

Hope someone can help me!

Greetz

KevStyle

Thanks
    EP Points

Which R4SDHC card exactly do you have ?
    As far as I know, there are R4i SDHC RTS card, R4i SDHC RTS Lite and R4i SDHC Dual Core.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Maybe the games you're having trouble with need to be patched for that card you have? I would think they wouldn't work at all if that was the case though...but I'm not sure

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

this is the exact same R4 card i use: r4-ds-sd-card-2-gb-memorycard_1.jpg

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You need the best Micro SD card you can get for that kit

Slower cards = freeze ups and lag

If it does support SDHC then you want class (10)

If I remember correctly made in Japan Kingston 1GB & 2GB Micro SD's are much higher Quality and faster than Made in Taiwan Kingston 1GB & 2GD Micro SD's (The Kingston made in Japan ones are the best to go for if the kit does not support HC cards most others had issues due to being slower cards)

Also note that some games do require patching to work on those kits

Original R4 kits and clones use wood kernal (it's not firmware even though some sites do call it firmware, it would be firmware if it was flashed to a chip, but it's kernal because it runs from local storage being a Micro SD)

http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/fl...les/r4-series/ has version 1.62 of the wood R4 kernal

http://www.trendy.co.jp/sd/en/p_formatter.html is another tool worthy of note and use that to do a qwick format of your Micro SD card

Also when you copy games over to it do that one at a time to avoid mixed up sector issues because if you have more than one copy to operation running the files mix the sectors up so you have for example 2 files, file one in sectors 1,2 & 5 and file 2 in sectors 3,4 & 6 that would result in harder reading

http://www.ds-scene.net/?s=viewtopic&nid=11056 Lastly there is DS-Scene Rom Tool that can be used to patch the games that require it aswell as tons of other things
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-April-2016 at 09:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    You need the best Micro SD card you can get for that kit

Slower cards = freeze ups and lag

If it does support SDHC then you want class (10)

If I remember correctly made in Japan Kingston 1GB & 2GB Micro SD's are much higher Quality and faster than Made in Taiwan Kingston 1GB & 2GD Micro SD's (The Kingston made in Japan ones are the best to go for if the kit does not support HC cards most others had issues due to being slower cards)

Also note that some games do require patching to work on those kits

Original R4 kits and clones use wood kernal (it's not firmware even though some sites do call it firmware, it would be firmware if it was flashed to a chip, but it's kernal because it runs from local storage being a Micro SD)

http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/fl...les/r4-series/ has version 1.62 of the wood R4 kernal

http://www.trendy.co.jp/sd/en/p_formatter.html is another tool worthy of note and use that to do a qwick format of your Micro SD card

Also when you copy games over to it do that one at a time to avoid mixed up sector issues because if you have more than one copy to operation running the files mix the sectors up so you have for example 2 files, file one in sectors 1,2 & 5 and file 2 in sectors 3,4 & 6 that would result in harder reading

http://www.ds-scene.net/?s=viewtopic&nid=11056 Lastly there is DS-Scene Rom Tool that can be used to patch the games that require it aswell as tons of other things

i have put in a SD card made in japan 4GB on a firmware 1.32 version it works still a couple of minutes and then freezes again.
    but the 1.62 R4 version does not work on my DS.. screen stands only in loading and nothing more.. i have tryed differend versions still nothing.

Thanks
    EP Points

I suspect the Revolution card can't use wood, but I'm not sure. I have an R4 Upgrade Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS) and it doesn't use wood.
    I'm using a Sandisk SDHC 8GB class 4 with no issues, but some games have to be patched iirc.

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The original R4 can use wood just fine though this R4 could be fake

The original R4 could not use 4GB cards anyway that I remember (Not sure there was a 4GB card though back then anyway) I think the biggest was 2GB and pre class marked up cards

The original R4 was also discontinued years ago and not so sure the Original R4 you can get now is even the same kit or just a clone / fake to start with

I owned an R4 back in the day (back when it was one of the best kits along with the M3 Simply that the R4 was basically a clone of)

Then a M3 Real with GBA expansion (Ideal for the original DS supports both DS and GBA, no emulation as it used both Slot 1 and Slot 2 but was one of the more costly kits)

Acecard 2i came next but as I was on a 3DS by that time and was blocked on 3DS so became pointless but was one of the few cards that did not require patches to bypass protection (lost track of updates so that may not be still true for all DS games)

Supercard DSTWO (No patches required for DS software, also has emulated GBA though still like the GBA expansion method best but I can't do that on a 3DS)

I also have a 3DS kit but that has no use for a DS/DS Lite owner

Prior to DS flash kits I also used to use a GBA kit plus a PassMe device to play DS backups via the GBA card, not ideal but it worked

Kinda sounds like you got junk but try reformatting the Micro SD using the software I linked to you before and copy the kernal over once that is done copy a single game over and try the game again, before giving in to going for a different kit

copy one game at a time to ensure no sectors mixes happen, this helps it last and read better

If the time comes you might want to consider something better than R4 (any variation, they really are not the best, can't argue that they don't work though either, pre patching games can be a chore though) it may cost a little more but in the long run it is worth it.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-April-2016 at 15:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

The card should be ok, it just isn't a real R4. It looks to be pretty much the same as what I have but mine doesn't have any mention of DSi on it. Largest SDHC card I've tried on mine is 8GB but I know 4GB works as well (and only class 4 cards).
    Whatever game you're trying to use that doesn't work probably needs to be patched.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

my decision is to buy a good card so i don't have any problems with it.

thnx for all the help and information.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A wise decision

Hope everything goes well this time round.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Do you R4 card work now?

Thanks

with a new card and the good firmware on it, there are no problems now.. im playing all the games i want so problem solved

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I will close this old thread

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]