Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Wii modder,need help please.

Thanks

connect your wii to the web assuming it isn't already homebrewed. update your system to 4.3U/J/E and google Letterbomb. Then have an SD card handy and download the full package they offer. once you get homebrew up and running look up USB Loader GX on 4.3 U there are several videos to show you how to install the custom wads you need to get your wii running isos in no time.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No need to update anything (This is something that is advised against) and best not to use online guides to install hacks/mod the wii

ModMii is all you need to have everything updated and hacked correctly and generates a guide aimed at the method used via ModMii (includes letter bomb and other methods, just downloads everything needed for you)

It is much safer to use ModMii as it will download everything you need for you and all hacks are done correctly for your system and it even generates a guide for using the files prepared for you, but online guides can and often do have things missing and or out of date leaving you with compat issues afterwards or in the worst case a bricked Wii console either due to the guide having null/void information (Out of date) or even just miss read information for those guides that can still be used going through a manual guide
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-March-2016 at 08:26.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

look back at the thread I linked to get you started on the road to running wads from HDD

P.S. ModMii is still worth a run (you can use that as an update option for your drivers ios files) just to make sure you get everything up to date (keep the usbloader dol to one side as the loader provided with ModMii may be out of date as they only use stable releases but the ones with all the features you want are later releases not all are classed as stable yet)

all that will be left is running GC software and homebrew emulators that can also be ran from the same HDD, will go into that later

For GC there are a few options supported by most USB Loaders (I use USB Loader GX myself) first make sure you are using the latest build of whatever loader you like to use (Note: the latest version tends not be the latest build and may be missing extra features) to use those you do need the extra loader files stored in the location the usb loader looks for them

Homebrew can be accessed via the homebrew channel or Wad shortcuts (You can make short cuts yourself or download them) most usb loaders also let you access a version of the homebrew channel directly but I like Wad shortcuts myself, but that is just preference and is not a requirement.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-March-2016 at 16:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Are you still having issues?

What is left for you to get running?

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ok I did a clean reformat of both my hard drive and my sd card. Did a new softmod using ModMii and the guide it created for me. I did a nand dump from my wii and have both the nand.bin and key.bin and elf files securely stored in my C: Homebrew is setup and everything is installed and up to date. I even have 2 iso files downloaded and installed onto my hard drive using backup manager...now the only thing is that wii flow and usb loader gx are acting wonky and won't run the iso's from my HD...I don't know what to do next. Can you please help me? I know I am almost there...there is probably just something I missed or did wrong. Thanks so much for your time.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The drive format has to be exactly correct windows itself can not do this (Fat32 with 32kb cluster size)

Make sure the drive is in the port on the most outer edge so it is read correctly (Fast enough)

Some games may need extra settings to work correctly

How exactly are the loaders being wonky are they at least showing the games? or is there load issues of the games, if so is there anything showing at all or is there some other issue

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,269 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

For USB loader GX, make sure the folder containing your boot.dol is in the apps folder either on your SD card, or on your USB stick or HDD. You can install a forwarder channel on your main menu and set the path to your dol file in the options.

If the boot.dol is in the correct folder on your sd card, try running it from the Homebrew channel menu, if that works, it's just a matter of configuring a forwarder channel as I've already mentioned.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Can't claim to of used WiiFlow so not even sure what it is supposed to look like

Either way it looks like it has gotten so far but has failed to fully load

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ok this is getting confusing now...there is an apps folder within pretty much everything I have installed...do I need the boot.dol file of each specific program to be in the apps folder of that program or to copy it to the apps folder on my SD card main menu?

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Alilep74 View Post
    Ok this is getting confusing now...there is an apps folder within pretty much everything I have installed...do I need the boot.dol file of each specific program to be in the apps folder of that program or to copy it to the apps folder on my SD card main menu?

Just copy your entire usb loader gx folder containing the boot.dol, icon.png and meta.xml to the root of your apps folder.

Thanks

Ok,got both forwarding files for my loaders...now what do I do with them? Where do I put the .wad files?

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Alilep74 View Post
    Ok,got both forwarding files for my loaders...now what do I do with them? Where do I put the .wad files?

Try running one of the loaders from your Homebrew channel. If it works, place your wad files in a folder called wads on your sd card, use a tool such as wad manager (normally placed in the apps folder) to install wads.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

once a wad is installed you no longer need the wad file (only worth keeping as a backup)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Ok so I finally got my wii up and running and installed a boat load of games Thanks to the great patience and kindness of Ragnar,Zorlon and Jackhammer for seeing me through this...you guys are awesome!!!
    Now...just another quick little thing to finish things up...I know I already have usb loader gx installed and running but I used to have wiiflow and I really liked the way it worked and looked...but no matter what I do once installed it stays at the default theme and has no other options for themes and I used to have/use Carbonix...I installed the latest version v4.2.1 should I downgrade to a lower version?

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

I've never tried WiiFlow, but it looks like all the files need to be in the apps folder. You'll probably have to download different themes to change the look/layout of WiiFlow.

Found a few different version here.

https://code.google.com/archive/p/wi...wnloads?page=1

Here are some themes.

https://sites.google.com/site/wiiflowiki4/themes
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 20th-March-2016 at 14:33.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackhammer For This Useful Post: