Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Wii modder,need help please.

Thanks

Default Newbie Wii modder,need help please.

Hi,
    I am new to this wii modding thing and need some help and guidance please.
    I have been downloading games for my daughter's NDS now for years and I had no trouble figuring out how it worked with the R4 cards and ROMs etc so I got interested in possibly modding my wii when I found out we can do almost the same thing with a wii system.Unfortunately,before I found out that it could be done somewhat easily,I payed an outsider to do it.I payed upwards of $250 for a hard drive and about 10-15 wii games (roms).My wii has an SD card installed and has the homebrew channel and wii flow installed on it but since it isn't me that did these installs etc I cannot access the hard drive...everytime I plug it into my computer it asks me to format it,i'm affraid to do this because I don't want to lose all the wii games that are already on there...does anybody have an ideas or suggestions please?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

That's maybe a driver issue or something, there's no way to lockout an external hard drive so it does that. Try plugging it into a different PC? Or maybe different usb ports on your computer, if you have some on the front and back, back ones may work better?
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's probably formatted in WBFS. Google WBFS manager.
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 3rd-March-2016 at 16:20.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jazzmarazz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Now I did try to plug into all usb ports available on 2 different laptops with the same "format disk" error. And thanks to Jazzmarazz's post I downloaded the WBFS manager and low and behold my hard drive showed up and there were my games...now...how do I add new games onto there? Where do I get the games? I have some sites I used for my nds games but getting to the wii games is much more complicated. And one last thing...can I add any other types of games like n64,gamecube and will they load the same as the wii games once the hard drive is loaded to my wii? Thanks for your quick responses.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Alilep74 View Post
    how do I add new games onto there? Where do I get the games?
    The WBFS manager will transfer games to your hard drive, that's what such programs are for. There are probably guides explaining basic usage on whatever program you've gotten.
    You can find Wii games here, AFAIK we're one of the better sources on the net now that Wii games have gotten older. My uploads may seem slightly complicated on first try, but Jackhammer wrote a decent guide that's pinned in the Wii subforum:
    http://www.epforums.org/forumdisplay.php?147-Wii-Links
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Yes,thank you,I am trying to figure this jdownloader stuff and am having some difficulty,but i'll get it...eventually...

I downloaded a few N64 and Nintendo ROMS to try them out but now what do I do with them to get them onto my hard drive and working?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alilep74 View Post
    Yes,thank you,I am trying to figure this jdownloader stuff and am having some difficulty,but i'll get it...eventually...

I downloaded a few N64 and Nintendo ROMS to try them out but now what do I do with them to get them onto my hard drive and working?
    There should be an option to add games onto the hard drive. It's been a while since I last used it, but I'm sure it's on the main screen.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Its been awhile for me since I sold my Wii. However, I kept all of my non-Wii ROMs on my SD card. 4GBs goes a very long way.
    I speculate that you could very easily add a partition to your WBFS hardrive formatted in FAT for you to keep all of your non-Wii ROMs on. Careful how you partition the drive though; don't want to ruin the WBFS portion.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You need the HDD to be in a different format if you want to run GameCube games, WiiWare WiiVC (official Emulators) Homebrew software including Emulators ect from the HDD

WBFS is an old format that is not needed at all now

It would be best to back all the WBFS files back into iso files to another drive or other storage then format your drive
    Depending on how big the HDD is you may want to use partitions as you can only keep 500 Wii games on each partition (as far as the Wii goes though you can setup whatever loader to show games from all partitions) [I should hope for what you payed you got a good sized HDD 2TB up over at least]

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?83529 is a guide to running a few extra things from USB that normally you can't (includes how to format the drive), I think I also explained why SD card is not that great for doing this, but if I did not you are limited to space and SD runs a little slow and WiiVC/WiiWare will lag even from a fast SD card as that is more to do with the speed of the SD slot not the actual card
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-March-2016 at 05:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Actually I know that I got bamboozaled because all I have is a 500 GB hard drive and a total of 89 games...some bought at $5 the pop after the initial first purchase of the HD and first set of games. that's why I am so happy to have found this site and that some very kind people here helped me to get the programs I needed to finally be able to access the HD myself

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

500GB you should be ok with a single partition and get apx 250 Wii games on it plus extra stuff like emulators GC games other officially emulated games ect

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

OK...
    So...I deleted everything from my external HD and i'm doing a fresh start. Can anyone please help me step by step by private message while online with me to get my HD setup properly to softmod my nintendo wii? Some of the guides I read are good (for hard core hackers/gamers) but I am a newbie modder and have a little difficulty understanding some of the lingo (*embarrassed*) with the wonderful help of Ragnar I was able to understand the downloading and repairing ios etc so that is understood...but now I want a clean start with my wii and external HD with or without SD...can someone please guide me through the process with lots of patience please...

Forgot to mention that I am running windows 8.1 on my comp and was only able to format my 500GB external HD with NTSC or other option available was exFAT.
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 13th-March-2016 at 18:46. Reason: double post

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Download Wii Backup Manager.
    Plug your external HDD into your computer.
    Start Wii Backup Manager.
    Tools/format drives. (MAKE SURE TO SELECT THE CORRECT DRIVE)
    Select your HDD
    Under New File System select FAT 32
    Under cluster size select 32kb.

Your HDD is now ready for copying games to. You can use the same tool to transfer your games from PC to your external HDD.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackhammer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok done and done...now on to my wii mod...I want to play all kinds of nintendo games on my wii...how do I go about modding my wii to do that?

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

Assuming your Wii isn't already modded, download ModMii, run it and follow the instructions. It will download all the needed files, and generate a guide for you based on your answers to a few questions. You will need an SD card for your files.

There are numerous tutorials for ModMii on YouTube.