Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone gave me an Xbox 0_0 Now what?

Thanks

Default Someone gave me an Xbox 0_0 Now what?

So a few months ago, a family member gave me an Xbox, they told me it was modded and gave me a bunch of original games and some burned back-ups of them. Unfortunately the person has passed away Today I was thinking of them and decided to boot up the Xbox to remember them... the problem is I have no idea how Xbox backups work? All the backups they gave me are dirty and scratched beyond repair, so I want to start from scratch, I been reading online that you can FTP but I have limited bandwidth so downloading the files into my PC and then "redownloading" them by sending them to my Xbox using using FTP is not an option. And anyways since it came with burned dvds I am guessing its modded to play isos?

So does anyone have ideas? I have experience backuping up games on other consoles, but it usually just involves burning the iso image... is it the same deal with Xbox?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

FTP doesn't cost any data/bandwidth regarding your ISP.
    You transfer stuff to and from your Xbox and PC, you don't even need an internet connection for that.

You need either:
    1. a crossover cable.
    or
    2. and network switch (or even a router with a built in switch) and two cat5 cables.

It isn't advisable to use the DVD drive in your Xbox all the time, they wear out very easily.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    FTP doesn't cost any data/bandwidth regarding your ISP.
    You transfer stuff to and from your Xbox and PC, you don't even need an internet connection for that.

You need either:
    1. a crossover cable.
    or
    2. and network switch (or even a router with a built in switch) and two cat5 cables.

It isn't advisable to use the DVD drive in your Xbox all the time, they wear out very easily.
    Oh that is good to know! However doesn't the Xbox have a tiny HD? It says it has 5,0000 blocks free, which I am guessing is only 5 GB? And is a crossover cable like an Ethernet cable?

I would like to have the option to play burned DVDs if possible and will try to figure out the FTP stuff when I can afford a crossover cable (assuming its not an ethernet cable).

For example I downloaded this game as a test: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?88795

The instructions say to use Qwix, I first tried creating an iso using the "Local Folder" option and burning that iso, my xbox did not read it.

I then tried the "Convert Iso" and same results...

The Wii has something called The Homebrew channel from which you can run apps and backups from, is there a similar thing in Xbox that I am missing?

Just read a bunch of websites online about how to softmod, it says you need certain games which I do not have yet...
    So I just need to figure out how to burn properly for my hardmod for now...

Okay weird lol, I was getting desperate so I randomly decided to hold the power button, which made the ligth turn orange, and now loads my games! (im guessing its switches the system into the modchip), is there any way to set up FTP using this modchip? Just in case the lens die out.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 19th-February-2016 at 01:55. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

If the console has a modchip is highly likely you can upgrade the HDD quite easily. In fact there is at least one modchip that has a HDD format tool built into it.
    But for most modchips you will need a working DVD drive and something like Slayers install disc...this will allow you to format and setup a new larger HDD.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

If the console has a modchip is highly likely you can upgrade the HDD quite easily. In fact there is at least one modchip that has a HDD format tool built into it.
    But for most modchips you will need a working DVD drive and something like Slayers install disc...this will allow you to format and setup a new larger HDD.
    Thats awesome! I am guessing Xbox Hd are expensive tho?

I got a few questions now that I got this mod-chip going...

Can I play PAL games on it? (its NTSC), I know in Wii the mod bypasses area and forces games to local region.

If I burn an emulator and snes roms into dvd...will save my game save into the Xbox hardrive or will I be unable to save?

Thanks
    EP Points

If you have a modchip then most old type IDE drives will work. I've used Western Digital, Seagate and Maxtor drives myself and never encountered a drive that I couldn't use (I've swapped in quite a few over the years, but I think the largest was maybe 250 or 320GB ).
    Most people have been throwing away these old drives for years now so you should be able to get something for nothing if you ask around. You might even have an old PC yourself in the shed or whatever

Yeah you can play any region. I have PAL consoles...I use PAL, NTSC-U and even a few NTSC-J games.

You can setup emus on the HDD itself, yep saves and everything. No need to run emus from DVD discs.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Yeah you can play any region. I have PAL consoles...I use PAL, NTSC-U and even a few NTSC-J games.
    So do I just burn the games like I would any other and the Xbox will read then like they were my region?

Thanks
    EP Points

It should. I can't recall the last time I used any game discs besides retail ones (so same region as my console) for dumping though.

Like I said I would avoid using the DVD drive. If it dies completely then you'll have to do everything via FTP and upgrading the HDD won't be simple anymore.

If you have a modchip, burn Slayers install disc, remove the original HDD and put it somewhere safe, throw in any large IDE HDD you can get, boot using Slayers disc and use the interface to format/setup your new HDD.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The biggest IDE drive is APX 750GB that I have in my Xbox

You are not limited to that though, you can install much bigger drives but you would need a SATA to IDE convertor, that you can get small enough to fit inside the Xbox

Default drive is only 8GB, but no matter how big the drive is the Original Xbox Dash will report 5,0000 blocks free so that is not an accurate space left display

The xbox will not work with all drives though, partly depends on the mod chip, but normally the drive needs to be able to be locked to work correctly with the xbox

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com has a very nice list of drives you can/can't use including both SATA and IDE drives, I just went IDE to save any complications as not all SATA to IDE convertors work.

PAL vs NTSC

In general your xbox should play most NTSC games just fine (providing your display can handle NTSC) as is but some will have strange results on a PAL machine the way round this is to use a custom Dash preferably something as good as XBMC that has a lot of game fixes anyway and patch the dash to NTSC then only a single NTSC game will not work, being a sports game american football I think it was (something I did not have any real interest in fortunately, the reason that one did not was because that single game check the dash region that it would of passed as well as the DVD region that obviously failed)

Also patching the dash to NTSC also enables component cables to work at 720p & 1080i though not many games supported those displays, just a handful

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah about the locking...I can't remember if Slayers deals with all that or if the modchips I've had don't care as such.

Anyway, with a modchip it's just a matter of testing a drive to see if it works. As I already said I've never encountered a HDD I couldn't use myself

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    The biggest IDE drive is APX 750GB that I have in my Xbox

You are not limited to that though, you can install much bigger drives but you would need a SATA to IDE convertor, that you can get small enough to fit inside the Xbox

Default drive is only 8GB, but no matter how big the drive is the Original Xbox Dash will report 5,0000 blocks free so that is not an accurate space left display

The xbox will not work with all drives though, partly depends on the mod chip, but normally the drive needs to be able to be locked to work correctly with the xbox

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com has a very nice list of drives you can/can't use including both SATA and IDE drives, I just went IDE to save any complications as not all SATA to IDE convertors work.
    Yeah about the locking...I can't remember if Slayers deals with all that or if the modchips I've had don't care as such.

Anyway, with a modchip it's just a matter of testing a drive to see if it works. As I already said I've never encountered a HDD I couldn't use myself
    Nice! pretty sure I got an IDE drive in my storage, I knew it would come in handy someday XD

By the way, I noticed some games make the Xbox really loud while some dont. this is my first time messing around with an Xbox so idk if this is normal.... the Xbox is a monster in size compared to my ps2 slim so it kinda makes sense it would be 5 times louder (I checked and the system is not hot), just want to make sure its normal before its proceed, I read that even people who have the games on their hardrive have reported these loud noises as well. The noices go from silent to the sound of an airplane, and yes I am using the same DVDs for all my games.
    Last edited by GM Otomon; 19th-February-2016 at 17:31.

Thanks

I actually figured out how to FTP!!! I used this guide in case anyone ever has this problem:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...-guide-so-far/

The only problem thus far... whne I load the emulators, instead of showing the emulator in the middle of the screen, it shows them on the top left and off screen... so all I see is -oms and ystem below that on that top left... no idea why! I am loading the emulators by using Avlaunchers File Manager instead of the Emulator option, since they do not show up there, am I supossed to put em on a specific folder? I also noticed gaves wont save

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Emulators have there own screen options once run you can move where the display is and stretch it ect ect

Saving should work as normal but you need to make sure you exit the emulator correctly and do not just turn the machine off

P.S. I would only use AVAlaunch as an app not a dash but if you are stuck on the default sized HDD then stick with that for now as things like XBMC can take up a bit more space

What video cable are you using and what emulators have you tried so far (if it is a multi emulator mention that as you may be using those incorrectly)

Depending on your TV set/TV cables depends on how it may be displayed but most the emulators I have used have good video options so any issues can be fixed with display 50hz 60hz moving the screen position stretching it ect ect even filter options though for now leave filter options alone those are all accessed from the programs when they are running normally
    Last edited by Zorlon; 21st-February-2016 at 05:43.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Emulators have there own screen options once run you can move where the display is and stretch it ect ect

Saving should work as normal but you need to make sure you exit the emulator correctly and do not just turn the machine off

P.S. I would only use AVAlaunch as an app not a dash but if you are stuck on the default sized HDD then stick with that for now as things like XBMC can take up a bit more space

What video cable are you using and what emulators have you tried so far (if it is a multi emulator mention that as you may be using those incorrectly)

Depending on your TV set/TV cables depends on how it may be displayed but most the emulators I have used have good video options so any issues can be fixed with display 50hz 60hz moving the screen position stretching it ect ect even filter options though for now leave filter options alone those are all accessed from the programs when they are running normally
    Thanks I managed to figure out how to save, you just need to have the right folders set up, which none of the emulators tell you to do... the instructions are always just dump everything on your E drive lol so now I can play games and save Although FCE Nintendo emulator wont do regular saves but only save states, the emulator is set to default to automatically load latest save state, so Im guessing it was done on purpose.

Anyways I pretty much achieved what I wanted to do. I am just curious why everytime I boot the Xbox, it tells me "Your F drive is running low on memory" I havent put any files on that partition.. in fact on Avalaunch File manager, its just shows as an Error 0_0 Also... I installed Avalaunch without "unistalling" EvoX, any idea how to go about doing this? I am guessing it is taking up space, do I just delete files on C drive or what?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Never delete C drive contents

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]