Thread: Lost in the MAMEUIFX64 sauce!!!

Thanks

Default Lost in the MAMEUIFX64 sauce!!!

I want to build a mame cabinet for my military heritage room / break room. I figured i would start with the actual comp and software and get it up and running first. I downloaded MAMEUIFX64 and have downloaded mame rom sets 0.161 and all the updates up to 0.170. I cant seem to understand what do next. I have followed the youtube video on downloading and putting everything in the rom folder but when i open MAMEUIFX64 and audit i still get only 3 green games to work. all the others are showing a grey chip. I feel completely lost and unsure of how to procede. Thanks for all the time and help.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hopefully you still have the rom sets and all the update files

To update correctly you need to be using clrmamepro

Start by getting the dat file for the target version use the, copy the older set to the roms folder and scan it fully with clrmamepro (make sure roms are only checked and not any other types of files as the reports will confuse you), after the longish process is complete it will show a report of what you have and don't have

Next use the rebuild option and point to the update rom set folder as the input folder and the output folder being the roms folder of MAME, get that to delete roms as it goes

Scan again and it should be a full roms set (this process will of sped up as it will only look for newly added files instead of doing a full scan that only needs to be done the first time)

if you just put the older rom set in the roms folder then overwrote the rom with the updates it will only end up have less roms available fully than previously because the updated rom zip files only contain updated chips that may only be one or two chips not the full set of chips for game x

Also note that rom sets do not contain chd's (they are dumps of other media that are not rom chips like CD-Rom, HDD ect ect) or samples that are used for sounds in some of the older games (though not required to play lack of samples would not stop a game from running), P.S. clrmamepro takes into account the chd's, roms & samples (though I would take samples off the scan list anyway to start with and chd's if you don't have any yet, just so the end reports are not confusing)

Another note is that not all the games Mame supports are actually playable

Resources...

http://www.progettosnaps.net/dats/ dat files for clrmamepro (scroll down a bit for the MAME rom dats, the other dats are for MESS & MESS+MAME rom sets and MAME resources like flyers ect)
    http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/ clrmamepro the actual program

If you need further help with clrmamepro let me know as the info I provided was from the top of my head so may not be that accurate so there is a lot of assumption that you will be able to figure it out yourself mostly with just a bit of basic info, but I can go into exacts when I have a bit more time
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-February-2016 at 08:35.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I do not understand how to use clrmamepro and the directions listed above. if anyone can help, I am driving myself crazy trying to figure this stuff out, I have downloaded these roms from EMUparadise:
    MAME_0.161_Roms.tar ( Rom Set )
    MAME0.161-0.162 all the way to MAME0.169-0.170.rar (Updates to the set, I believe)
    MAME_Dats_170.rar ( I got this for the above directions from Zorlon)

Agian i am still getting grey chips within the mameuifx64 and the only roms that work are Pong Pong revision and Double Pong ( which is ironic since

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you want it really easy I can tell you were to go for all arcade rom related stuff.

Its the official "unofficial" source, you can just grab the latest sets and not have to mess with any rom managers.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    If you want it really easy I can tell you were to go for all arcade rom related stuff.

Its the official "unofficial" source, you can just grab the latest sets and not have to mess with any rom managers.
    Warrior, let me know man!!! I'm new to the emu game but am building a cab and the hunt for a good working set is driving me nuts as well. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

I went to that location and downloaded the Mame 0.170 Roms and i still get no green chips other than pong double pong and breakout. I then used CLRMAMEpro and rebuilt those roms (or so i thought) for over 10+ hours and still nothing. The only think i have gotten is 3 seperate emulators to work, nestopia, zsnes, and pj64 which all work well and i downloaded a couple of roms for each from emuparadise. Other than that i am still haveing no luck. I guess it saving me money since i wont built the wood cabinet untill i can get mame to work.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If ClrMamepro rebuilt the set and reported nothing missing then you have a full set the issue then is not the rom files but possibly the location or the roms or some other issue

Try a different port of MAME

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

1st you have to download the 1.61 complete rom pack and the all the update packs then u have copy the roms from the update packs to the 1.61 pack IN ORDER. Once you are finished with that cut and paste all the roms from your newly updated 1.61 pack to the ''roms'' folder located in the mame program itself. finally u just start mame up and audit all your roms.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you just copy update pack over you will loose some files because updated roms only contain what was updated, so say game x had roms 1 2 3 4 inside x.zip and rom 3 was updated the update packs version of x.zip would only contain rom 3 so if you copy that over game x would then be missing 1 2 4 from x.zip

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]