Thread: Languages of games

Thanks

Default Languages of games

Hi,

I'm new to this, so sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, or one that's been asked before (had a look through some of the forums but couldn't see it).

How do I know what languages are available in each game? Some of them I can see have language codes next to them (eg. en, fr, de) but some of them don't. In the ones that don't that state "Europe" for example, which languages will it have?

Are these always accurate, and do they just match the cartridges or discs that were originally released in different countries?

Thanks!

LIR
    Last edited by loveitretro; 27th-January-2016 at 20:03.

Thanks
    EP Points

Redump.org is careful to list language content on whatever discs they catalogue, so for some systems there's a pretty good record. I'm not sure they've caught up to PS3 generation yet though. Would like to see that info if it's started.
    The official game companies themselves don't seem to know what languages actually end up in a game from any particular region, for example a Bravely Default 3DS box here says Eng & Fren, yet it will play in full Jap (and others) while a Nintendo America phone rep says it definitely does NOT contain Jap! Most disc games now have more langs than are listed on their boxes, manuals, or even in-game options menu.

Sometimes an uploader will say when the language files have been altered, but they usually don't know the full original contents. Generally people have no need for any unofficial language content, and it takes too long to find out what's in there.
    'Europe' and 'US' will have Eng at least (usually more). 'Multi-5' will probably have Eng Fre Spa Ger It.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Breather For This Useful Post:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Usually the Redump and No-Intro projects will have all possible languages in the rom/image title but sometimes mistakes are made and fixed.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

For Xbox 360/PS3 if you have a look on Play-Asia sometimes there will be language info. I've only really used it for Asian releases (NTSC-J but not Japan, some will have English menu/interface and sub options with Japanese audio).

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

In general if a game is just stated as Europe or US it only has the english language in it, but mistakes can be made.

Box art providing it is not a custom job will also reveal what languages a game contains, mind you I have also seen original box art say stuff that is not true (mostly because there was planned features but got axed before final release but the art was box was never updated to reflect that)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-January-2016 at 04:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    In general if a game is just stated as Europe or US it only has the english language in it, but mistakes can be made.
    Box art providing it is not a custom job will also reveal what languages a game contains, mind you I have also seen original box art say stuff that is not true (mostly because there was planned features but got axed before final release but the art was box was never updated to reflect that)
    That's not what I'm seeing with US PS3/X360. Sure if the box/manual says it's there, it's there (I've only seen one mistake), but change the system language and I'd say way over 90% of the time there's at least one more subs/menu language they didn't tell you about.
    More almost random examples that are sitting right here:
    Mass Effect Trilogy PS3 [US], box says "Game in English and French", no mention of the Jap and Span.
    Yaiba box text is Eng/Fre, nothing anywhere about the Spa/Ger/Jap text and Jap voiceover.
    Assassin's Creed series all have full Spanish, thank the Creator, AC1's English was mostly painful. Maybe they improved...

Not important, kinda strange though to hide good content.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies!

One that I'm not sure about is the NES games. Tried looking on No-Intro for this, and they're all listed, but the PAL ones just say "Europe" for example. Isn't there a PAL-A and a PAL-B usually? There just seems to be one "Europe" file for most. Is this because the PAL-A and PAL-B roms are exactly the same, with just different region locking, so they will have the same languages?

Thanks!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PAL A and PAL B ect ect is the signal of the console depending on the region it was acquired from that has nothing to do with the software itself

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Usually European ROMs will have several languages on them by default and will be listed in the ROM title.
    When there's nothing there might be a specific country listed or it will be in English.

I'll recaptcha Google for their idiotic policies.