Thread: NullDC Naomi Edition Crashes When Loading Roms

Thanks
    EP Points

Question NullDC Naomi Edition Crashes When Loading Roms

I have properly configured the emulator (I think...) And I am trying to load up Monkey Ball for some epic Monkey in a Ball Action!

Unfortunately, my monkeyba.bin didn't work (it caused NullDC to crash), so I assumed it needed a .lst file.

I looked up LST ROM on the Emuparadise site, and it appeared to have everything I needed. Unfortunately for Ai Ai and pals, they will not get their balls rolling just yet, as the .lst version of Monkey Ball crashed too!

I don't think it is an issue with my Naomi bios, as running Null DC without loading a game brings up the Naomi screen, followed by the error that appears when no game is loaded "the game file is not acceptable" or something like that.

It's when I try to load a game that the emulator immediately displays a "Null DC Has Stopped Working" error. It doesn't even get as far as the Naomi screen.

And don't gimme any of that "try makaron its better lulz" BS... I tried Makaron, and it gave me a direct3d error. At least Null DC can load the Naomi screen properly without a game. Makaroni and Cheese can't even get that far, even without a game loaded.

I am attempting to run Null DC on a Windows 7 64 bit machine with Intel HD Graphics 3000 (and before you assume anything, Dreamcast games can run just fine in Null DC Standard Edition on my machine with little to no slowdown, provided I use the right version of Null DC Standard and the proper plugin.) It's trying to get the Naomi NullDC to work that is the issue.

I am not an emulation guru; I just wanna play some freakin' Monkey Ball!

Can anyone help me?

Thank you for your time and patience!

- VirtuaroidPilot
    Last edited by VirtuaroidPilot; 15th-January-2016 at 23:02.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

NullDC Naomi is an old outdated emulator unfortunately

Naomi emulation in general is not that good though

Demul or MAME (latest revisions) is your best bet though

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I may need a bit more help. I'm trying to get monkeyba.zip working in Mame 0141b 64 bit, and it keeps saying it is missing files. The Naomi bios found on Emuparadise doesn't work on the latest MAME, but it does work with this version. Mame does not recognize the version of Monkey Ball as a machine on the naomi page of Emuparadise (monkey_ball.zip) but it does find monkeyba.zip. The problem is, the Naomi Bios works, but only on 0141b 64 bit, and monkeyba doesn't load at all because of missing files. Am I supposed to load monkeba AFTER running the Naomi Bios? If so, how do I do that? If not, HELP!!!

I googled an answer and could find nothing. A bit of guidance goes a long way, so please, guide the way, friend!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

gds-0008.chd is missing it should be a folder that same name as the zip inside the Roms folder

look up the game in our MAME roms section select it and the CHD is linked under Download CHD, just under the download link for the zip for the game

p.s. that seems like an old version we are up 0.170 of MAME now

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I will try that, and if it works, I'll edit this post as *SOLVED*. Thank you for your assistance! I appreciate the help!

It didn't work. I put monkeyba.zip into the roms folder, and in the roms folder I put the chd into a folder called "monkeyba". It still reports missing files.

I checked the page for the rom, and it says that in order to play the game, I need naomigd.zip. (I was using naomi.zip)

I downloaded naomigd and put it into the monkeyba folder. Didn't work.

I put it in the roms folder where the rom was... Didn't work.

I created a folder within the monkeyba folder (named the new folder "monkeyba") and put it in that folder. Still didn't work.

I may need a bit more assistance...
    Last edited by deadlegion; 31st-January-2016 at 03:28. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

I have a converted to NullDC Monkey Ball rom, but I don't remember how I done it, and it works on NullDC Naomi 1.0.4, but since the plugins I have there for the controls seems to only have support for Digital joystick inputs, there is no Analog inputs = You can't move on Monkey Ball.

So the only option would be DEMUL, which runs fine for me (maybe due to that it doesn't have much stuff in the screen).