Thread: PS2 Iso's are too big for DVD5

Thanks

Default PS2 Iso's are too big for DVD5

Hello there

Because some games don't work with OPL or P2ESDL trough usb with an external hdd, I burn those which are not working on a dvd5.
    But here comes the problem.. The Iso's from emuparadise are too big for my dvd's.

For example Ghost in the shell SAC (USA) is 4.66 GB big (Europe edition is 4.607 GB).
    And Yakuza (USA) is 4.39 GB.
    Dvd5 have a total capacity of 4.38 GB, so those games won't fit.

Why are those rips this big? And what can I do to burn them on dvd5?

Using a dvd9 is not an option cause they are not original dvd9 games(and they are very expensive). I did also read of tools to shrink those Isos, but is that really necessary? Shouldn't there be the original 1:1 rip on emuparadise?

Thanks,
    El Papà

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The PS2 images on Emuparadise are redump unaltered images.

http://redump.org/disc/12990/ GITS is a DVD5 it will fit, if it does not work its a FreeMcboot issue.

http://redump.org/disc/8179/ Yakuza will fit as well.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you for the answer.

I was so confused because a dvd5 has 4.38 GiB = 4.7 GB storage.

But thanks to you I realised!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by El_Papa View Post
    Thank you for the answer.

I was so confused because a dvd5 has 4.38 GiB = 4.7 GB storage.

But thanks to you I realised!
    Welcome

Some games will appear to be bigger than they actually are, look at a good chunk of PSX game images, they are over 700 MB in size yet they are not really that big.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,301 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Welcome

Some games will appear to be bigger than they actually are, look at a good chunk of PSX game images, they are over 700 MB in size yet they are not really that big.
    That's true, but his confusion is coming from the irregular definition of the size of a DVD's and GB's, both from weird DVD manufactures and possibly terrible OS's *cough*mac*cough*. A DVD is ~4700000000 bytes. So a lazy estimate is that is 4.7GB, when really it's 4700000000 ÷ 1024(=KB) ÷ 1024(=MB) ÷ 1024(=GB) = ~4.38GB.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    That's true, but his confusion is coming from the irregular definition of the size of a DVD's and GB's, both from weird DVD manufactures and possibly terrible OS's *cough*mac*cough*. A DVD is ~4700000000 bytes. So a lazy estimate is that is 4.7GB, when really it's 4700000000 ÷ 1024(=KB) ÷ 1024(=MB) ÷ 1024(=GB) = ~4.38GB.
    Ah, I was just using the PSX CDs as a example.

I get you regarding the size structure.

I own quite a few VNs that were mastered on macs, can tell when you check with a sector view.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,301 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Ah, I was just using the PSX CDs as a example.
    Fun fact. Every PSX game will actually fit on the old standard 650MB CD size.
    I do wonder if using 700MB CDs adds extra strain on a PlayStation. But you can't really find 650MB CDRs around anymore, so who cares.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

A laser will start at the inner rings of data anyway and in the header I was sure it outlines what files are there and where they start and end (including CDDA tracks), so the laser should not read outside that

Though the order a CD laser reads seems odd

It is something like...

(This might not be exact as this is off the top of my head)

Disc size and if there are CDDA tracks (before reading what the tracks contain)
    Read/list CDDA tracks
    LBA info (aka file list/start end of each file pos.)
    then it will start to read data (boot process)

This is why CD swap/swop tricks work because CD's are read in steps rather than all at once

Neh the laser should be fine reading 700MB vs 650MB CD-R's
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-January-2016 at 13:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR