Thread: Discussion of 70's and 80's Arcade Games and Asteroids not working in RetroPie

Thanks

Default Discussion of 70's and 80's Arcade Games and Asteroids not working in RetroPie

Hello all,

I'm new to Emulation and I am looking for a little help.

I am putting together a Multicade type machine that will play the games from late 70's and 80's. So far I have set up a Pi B board with RetroPie and it works great with games like Dk, DkJr. Defender, Asteroids Deluxe, Galaga and a few others.

I was hoping to get help finding a Rom for Asteroids the original version. this is actually the reason that I started this project was to relive my days and a self proclaimed Asteroids champion.

The Second thing I was going to ask help with is to create or find a list of 70's and 80's arcade games, I remember many of them but some conversation would be nice.

I'll start the list.

Centipede
    Battle Zone
    PacMan
    Tron

what was that one where you would jump a motorcycle over busses?

oh and then you can't forget Defender

I spent many a quarter in arcades back then. So hoping to create this list of games and then find the roms that will work on the retropi any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Gyruss is one that some people don't remember, but I spent a lot of time playing it in arcades.

Edit:
    Some others I played...
    Rygar.
    Bubble Bobble.

That motorcycle game you can't remember, was it Stunt Cycle?

Last edited by deadlegion; 27th-December-2015 at 03:42.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I remember playing Gyruss, it's kind of a circular Galaga if I remember correctly. that would be a good game to put in my machine as well and probably would not be too intense for the pi processor.

thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

Gyruss has nice tunes.
    See my edit above about other stuff.

Edit:
    Another shooter I just remembered: Bosconian.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 27th-December-2015 at 03:57.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

That's it!! that's the cycle game I was talking about. Wow I spent a lot of money on that one.

thanks again for your response. now I remember the handle bars. I'll have to find this game and figure out how to fix up a throttle.

I had to look Bosconian up, I don't remember this one. looks interesting. what was the control for this one?

joystick and buttons?
    Last edited by deadlegion; 27th-December-2015 at 04:11. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Pole Position was mentioned in the hang out thread, I dunno how I could have forgotten about that

Quote Originally Posted by Papadeath View Post
    I had to look Bosconian up, I don't remember this one. looks interesting. what was the control for this one?

joystick and buttons?
    Yeah I think so, I hardly ever played it tbh (might've only seen it a couple of times at the local showgrounds when the circus etc was there).
    But I'm wondering if that was the game I once saw with an alt control scheme that was all buttons only (no stick at all)
    Last edited by deadlegion; 27th-December-2015 at 04:10.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Pole position is another good one but will need a steering wheel. Not sure I'm ready to tackle the steering wheel yet. the more I think about it if this first cabinet builds and plays well I might build another with different control features. For instance a machine that has a spinner and buttons and another that has a track ball and buttons and maybe another with a steering wheel, foot peddles and shifter all loaded with game specific to the control features of that machine.

kind of jumping ahead so I'll concentrate on the first machine which has a primary purpose of playing asteroids so the button configuration will be closer to what is required for asteroids, just the five buttons for play, one for start and one for reset.

This brings me back to the reason for this post which is I am looking for a Asteroids rom that will work with the RetroPie format. Any thoughts? I have tried all of the roms I could find on the internet and the closest thing I could get to work was a (Ver 4) that starts to load and then displays that 2 files are missing 035145.02 and 035144.02 I have done a search for these files as well as I thought they might be missing music or chd files that I have read about but no luck.

I know I am a little green to this so any help would be appreciated.

Problem Solved, found a romset that works just fine on the RetroPie. thanks.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 28th-December-2015 at 04:11. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Papadeath View Post
    Problem Solved, found a romset that works just fine on the RetroPie. thanks.
    Good to hear

Spoiler warning: