Thread: Problem with CHIMP

Thanks

Default Problem with CHIMP

Hello, try to change an softmoded xbox HD using Chimp but chimp always freeze during the boot. Saw 2 lines with a green [OK], then the word "starting" in green on the screen and then nothing move. I tried 2.4 2.6 2.618....carefully respect the howto, but nothing work .... hardware version is 1.0, I have a xbox controler, put all the files at the good place but still freezing, any idea ?

Jackhammer is offline Administrator
    Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,268 Times in 270 Posts
    EP Points

It can also depend on the dash you use. I had problems with XBMC, but UnleashX worked perfect, you can load it as an app if it's not your main dash. You mention your controller, it has to be an genuine Microsoft controller or it wont work.

Here's the copy of CHIMP I used, ftp to the correct folders or it wont work.

It should look like this:

E:/Apps/Xromwell
    E:/Chimp
    E:/linuxboot.cfg

If you don't place the files as shown, it wont work.

Have a look in this thread for a tut on how to use CHIMP.
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...-original-xbox
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Hi Jackhammer
    Many thanks for your answer, I will try this morning (French time). Sorry for my english pehaps not so good, my controler is a genuine microsoft, not sure about my dash, I used Softmode Installer Delux 1.5 (SID 1.5) to softmod my xbox with and Spinter Cell exploit, work perfectly but I think I have EvolX. Let's try your version. I will tell you the result. Again Thanks for you help.

Quote Originally Posted by miltof View Post
    Hi Jackhammer
    Many thanks for your answer, I will try this morning (French time). Sorry for my english pehaps not so good, my controler is a genuine microsoft, not sure about my dash, I used Softmode Installer Delux 1.5 (SID 1.5) to softmod my xbox with and Spinter Cell exploit, work perfectly but I think I have EvolX. Let's try your version. I will tell you the result. Again Thanks for you help.
    Not better even if I used your provided version, put exacly the file where it need to be and follow the video. still stuck at the stage (FatX (E) in the Xbox Linux Xromwell menu then chose Chimp (or Chimp480 or chimp720) and ....
    Screenshot - 25122015 - 11:08:18.jpg

I am lost, no idea about what can I check to go forward.
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 25th-December-2015 at 11:34. Reason: Double post

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

How long does it hang for? Sometimes it can take a bit to load.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jackhammer View Post
    How long does it hang for? Sometimes it can take a bit to load.
    HI, waited 10 minutes at least. Confirm that my dash is UnleashX.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by miltof View Post
    HI, waited 10 minutes at least. Confirm that my dash is UnleashX.

It shouldn't take that long, usually a minute or less. I'm not sure what to suggest, maybe someone else will chime in with a solution.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackhammer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It shouldn't take that long, usually a minute or less. I'm not sure what to suggest, maybe someone else will chime in with a solution.
    Anyway, Jack thanks a lot for your try. I will make short video to show all and perhaps someone will be able to detect detect my error. I have a second Xbox sofmoded long time ago with big HD made with old method (xboxhdm on a PC) but I not have any more old pc and dvd burner to do that The stange thing is that if I tried to use Chimp on this xbox it does ecactly the same issue. So pretty sure that it is something with my way of doing the job. One question, is it possible to run Chimp without swap from the DVD to the new big HD, just to verify ?

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

A few things I thought of:

Try a different TV, try a different TV cable. If using component try AV. You might have a 1.6 ver Xbox, ver 2.6.18.11 is supposed to work with all Xbox models. There's a dload in this thread, scroll down to post 5.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...til-Chimp-v2-4

Read this on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Youtube
    OK if the Chimp Files are showing in UPPERCASE on your Xbox E drive then rename them to lowercase
    Another thread I found that says to ftp your chimp directory to APPS (didn't work for me).

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/vi...hp?f=13&t=1936

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackhammer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A few things I thought of:

Try a different TV, try a different TV cable. If using component try AV. You might have a 1.6 ver Xbox, ver 2.6.18.11 is supposed to work with all Xbox models. There's a dload in this thread, scroll down to post 5.

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...til-Chimp-v2-4

Read this on Youtube.

Another thread I found that says to ftp your chimp directory to APPS (didn't work for me).

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/vi...hp?f=13&t=1936
    Hi, changed TV cable, use AV (Yellow, red,white). Tried V2.4, 2.6, 2.6811, verified uppercase but no pb, alway the same story the same picture i posted, alway freeze exactly at this stage, boot prossess seams to find well the linux and init.rd file (green [OK] means I suppose all is ok) then word "Starting" (also in green) at the bottom of the screen and then freeze. I tried to delete E:/cache and x,y,z drive but same story. My Xbox seams to be a 1.0 because of the serial numer finishing by 21303 confirmed in the softmod installer deluxe menu showing : xbox v1.0 (0a). I will try to change TV but not very confident in this.

Stroke The Goat
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    Thanks
    EP Points

Found another possible solution. This is supposed to be a last option if you can't get CHIMP working from HDD.

Here were the steps I took:
    1. Download the LUD iso and burn to DVD-R http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbox...o.zip/download
    2. Prepare target hdd for hot swap by providing it an external power source (used a USB/IDE kit for this part) and setting the mode to slave.
    3. Boot up the LUD disc.
    4. In the gentoox linux loader, select Chimp.
    5. Wait for booting initrd [ok] message and then immedicately performed hot swap of IDE cable from DVD drive to target hdd. Default setting in the config file allows for only 10 secs. If you see "Starting Chimp" before you are done, then you are too late and will need to start from Step 3 again.
    6. Verify both drives were detected using option 1 (Scan).
    7. Select option to clone master to slave.
    8. Wait for completion of cloning process.
    9. Back on the menu, select Lock Slave drive and lock the drive from the motherboard.
    10. Back on the menu, select shutdown.
    11. Move IDE cable back to DVD drive.
    12. Set target hdd to Master mode.
    13. Connect original hdd IDE connector to target hdd.
    14. Disconnect power cable from original hdd and plug into target hdd. (Note: I didn't do this initially and was still using the USB kit power source. This resulted in Error 07 upon boot up. When I switch to using the original hdd power cable, the target hdd came up normally).
    15. Boot up Xbox again with LUD disc. Select Chimp.
    16. Select option to format master drive extended partitions. I am using a 500 gb drive so I selected the option to put everything after 137 gb to the G drive.
    17. After partitioning is finished, shutdown again and remove LUD disc.
    18. Boot up again. The xbox should now boot up normally as before as it had with the original hdd.

Edit: What type of HDD are you trying to upgrade to, IDE or SATA?
    Last edited by Jackhammer; 26th-December-2015 at 18:47.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Also note that not all IDE or SATA drives work in the xbox due to locking so a few drives do not have the lock system that the xbox requires

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/ has a nice list
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-January-2016 at 05:16.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR