Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your very first computer

Thanks

I had an Apple IIe for my first computer. Don't laugh, please. My mum threw it away .

I have a Hewlett Packard now... and for some reason I also have an Acorn A5000 sitting underneath it . Heh, it has Risc OS, take that Windows!

Thanks
    EP Points

Jimmy, you shouldn't buy branded PC's, they generally cause the maximum problems, (thats why the companies have good tech support ;). Anyways, Sarcast recently got a PII 200Mhz :D

Thanks

My first was a -

P1 166mhz
    32mb RAM
    3.7 GB
    20X cd drive (or sommat)

Made by siemens nixdorf (or sommat)

dgamer4000 Guest

Originally posted by Tovi
    There was 3d long before the N64, I can assure you that.
    i know, games like doom and wolfenstein. but they actually use a 2d engine. the monsters in doom r just flat graphics. but they change to another graphic when u view them at a certain angle or attack. Besides... how could i have been able to play 3d games without a 3d accelerator???

Thanks
    EP Points

They used Software rendering. 3D accelerators are hardware devices responsible for rendering 3D (and speeding up the process).

Thanks

Originally posted by dgamer4000

i know, games like doom and wolfenstein. but they actually use a 2d engine. the monsters in doom r just flat graphics. but they change to another graphic when u view them at a certain angle or attack. Besides... how could i have been able to play 3d games without a 3d accelerator???
    I'm fully aware that doom and wolfenstein aren't really 3D. Actually, if you're gonna compare consoles, wasn't the Playstation released first? I can't remember actually.

But there's one thing for sure, "Spectre VR" couldn't have been created any earlier than 10 years ago, because it still worked on my old Macintosh laptop. I don't know the specs, but I do know it's old because it's monochrome. I loved that game actually. And even though the main character had about 10 polygons, the game was in 3D.

And as we speak, I'm looking at a cd cover from 1992, that is pre-rendered 3D.
    Last edited by Tovi; 22nd-September-2002 at 16:02.

Thanks
    EP Points

The playstation used software rendering for rendering 3d. It didn't have a hardware accelerator, but the Nintendo64 and Dreamcast did have hardware 3d. That was the main reason behind the crisp graphics on the N64 and DC.

Thanks

I'm just playing FF9 and the GFX are amazing. Oh wait or is it just in the FMV. Yeah PSX has better FMV than N64. But N64 has uh Zelda?

Thanks

Originally posted by MasJ
    The playstation used software rendering for rendering 3d. It didn't have a hardware accelerator, but the Nintendo64 and Dreamcast did have hardware 3d. That was the main reason behind the crisp graphics on the N64 and DC.
    Um, my point was: If the PSX was released before the N64 (Software rendering or not) than that means there were 3D graphics before the N64.

Thanks

THe snes could do weak 3D also I think. or not? ANd sonic 3D Blast? That was 3D right?

Thanks
    EP Points

There was software 3d back in the 80s also. People used to use Supercomputers to render it. But hardware 3d acceleration which came from the actual hardware material doing the calculations and not doing it through software only came through the n64, dc, and pc.

Oh yes, the PSX 3D looks decent on the television because the developers were clever and utilized the scanlined effects of TV's to make them look better, thats the reason why you see such a pixelated look (in software) on your monitor, because monitors don't have scanlined displays...
    Also, FMV's would look the same, whether played on the PSX, the PC, the N64 or the DC, or even a VCD player..

Thanks

My first computer... I had an bit of a dillema,because I received two...

-Macintosh Performa 400
    10 Mb Ram
    512k video memory
    16 mhz Motorola x68000 processor (or something)
    80mb hdd
    System 6

-IBM Personal System 2
    Dont know the processor...Intel, perhaps an 386?
    8 MB Ram
    120 Mb hdd
    Integrated Graphics...(?)
    Win 3.11

But my first real computer stands at my side, the original Pentium @ 75 mHz, 16 mb ram, s3 Virge Video card, 600 mb hdd, win 95... I loved it.
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks
    EP Points

Macs were the best back then . Even today they're good for video editing due to their FPU strength. Infact, I think Steve Jobs got a grammy!

Thanks

my Atari ST ownz you
    Intel is up, AMD eats shit