Thread: Popstarter Guide - PS1 Games on your PS2 USB HDD or Internal HDD

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Popstarter Guide - PS1 Games on your PS2 USB HDD or Internal HDD

You will need either FMCB Softmod or a Modchip, so that you can use ulanuchelf to run the .elf files for the PS1 Games you will be adding to this guide, I've included the "Popstarter" apps this guide references in a pack:

PRE-SETUP (If using the official package)
    1. Delete .KELF files (for HDDOSD only)
    2. Delete .PAK files (combines POPS.ELF and IOPRP252.ELF files)
    3. Add "BIOS.BIN" to the "Virtual Memory Card or VMC" of your game. (if not using the standard bios in "POPS.ELF") (you can also add CHEATS.TXT to games "VMC" folder for specific cheats)
    4. "Compatibility Mode Patches" go into the "Virtual Memory Card or VMC" of your game (see the folder's readme, or skip to second post)
    5. "In Game Reset or IGR" files, one goes in the root of your "__POPS" partition or "POPS" folder for USB, for all games. Or each game is done manually using the "Virtual Memory Card or VMC" of your game (see the folder's readme or just use the preloaded default in the program of "L1 + L2 + Select + Start")

USB or Hard Drive Setup
    4. Format USB Stick or USB Hard Drive to 32bit, if using Internal Harddrive use "WinHIIP_V1.7.6" to format, then add your PS1 games from USB or FTP using UNLAUNCHELF (Winhiip only installs ps2 games)

POPSTARTER SETUP USB HDD (13WIP5, or 13WIP6beta12)

USB DEVICE (USB Stick or USB Hard Drive) (USB Loads slower than hdd)
    POPS/POPS.PAK (required only for USB)
    POPS/PFS_WRAP.BIN (not needed for 13WIP6beta11,current or future releases)
    POPS/IOPRP252.IMG
    POPS/POPS.ELF
    POPS/Wild Arms.VCD (.CUE/.BIN to .VCD using toolbox or cue2pops go in "POPS" Folder, all games)
    XX.Wild Arms.ELF (Root of USB Device, POPSTARTER.ELF renamed, all games, lower case ".elf", "XX." is added before each game name, you select this file to start the game)

Internal Hard Drive (you must create the partitions that you don't have, named exactly)
    __common/POPS/IOPRP252.IMG
    __common/POPS/POPS.ELF
    __common/POPS/CHEATS.TXT ($SMOOTH, for auto smooth graphic filter)
    __.POPS/Wild Arms.VCD (all your .CUE/.BIN converted games go in this partition) (Max Size 131 Gigs, or create more partitions ... "POPS1", "POPS2" upto 10)
    +OPL/Wild Arms.ELF (all your .ELF, POPSTARTER.ELF renamed files go in this partition, allows "Open PS2 Loader" to show your games on a list) (goto Hddmanager, and make sure this partition is, 128mb to 256 or large enough for all your POPSLOADER FOR VCD.ELF renamed files, and game images if any you add) (allow OPL to run once to create this partition, then resize it using hddmanager, see below)

Adding Game Entries to OPL so it reads your PS1.ELF files

Add the game to your "conf_elm" file or create it (located in your "OPL" save folder, found in memory card, created for you in the package, using windows notepad or a text editor), and just add another entry, renaming "Wild Arms=pfs0:Wild Arms.ELF" ... to the name of your game .ELF file, repeat as necessary ... that is the location of the partition you created from ulaunchelf on your Internal Harddrive. The +OPL partition will be created automatically after running "Open PS2 Loader", enable Harddrive to Auto and ELM to AUTO, then create the "APPS" folder in the +OPL partition that was created to add your POPSTARTER.ELF renamed files. Don't forget to save your settings in OPL before you exit, HDD and ELF to "Auto", Pressing "START" after setting the options shows the menu for HDD and ELF (direction pad "right").

Updated Popstarter Package 12/02/2015 (English Translated "In Game Reset" Screen) (POPS.ELF files fixed now - Tested)
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Recommend using 13WIP6beta12 on an Internal Hdd for the Following Reason

These Features and Hotkeys were added
    Press Select+L1+R2 to enable the smooth texture mapping
    Press Select+L2+R1 to disable the smooth texture mapping

(to do this automatically create a "CHEATS.TXT" file and add "$SMOOTH" to it without the quotes, add the "CHEATS.TXT" file to your "Virtual Memory Card" for that game (its save folder)

Grab a .CUE/.BIN image of your game you want to use, and drag the .cue sheet on "CUE2POPS" in the "cue2pops/toolbox" folder. I will test a few games later, but you can google for some results. Pick which version you want to use, there both setup for you to use the "PS One" Bios. Both releases the stable one and the current one use the same compatibility fix files and In Game Reset files. I just wrote this guide but I will test more later ... grab the official package for some other stuff, which if your new to this would make things too complicated and troublesome.

1. Added Opl Build 886 with no logo and no hdd template (template design looks messy), with invisibility Icons (same as fmcb 1.8 included)
    2. Added Ulaunchelf - "ule_wip7", replaced "About ULE" with "HddManager" (ule_khn_20150602, replaced "About ULE" with "JpgViewer"
    3. Added GSM to change video mode if TV does not display correctly or at all
    4. (Add Seven Hard Coded "IGR - In Game Reset"skins to POPS + picture preview, just select which POPS.ELF you want to use) (POPS.ELF in "Popstarter" folders, has Original Translated Skin)
    5. Exit "Popstarter" using "In Game Reset" option, and holding the "CIRCLE" button when you confirm exit, to go back to "Open PS2 Loader" (the entry was modified in the "FREEMCB.CNF" configuration file for the FMCB 1.8 installation, but you can do this manually using FMCB Configurator in a later version of FMCB)
    6. Hopefully everything is correct here, so I can just remain on post 2 our compatibility list (the current build of OPL 886 is included in the FMCB pack and the archive, and the current version of ulaunchelf wip7. The only thing I haven't done is a proper setup test, thats where post 2 comes in below
    7. In Game Reset Command is "L1 + R1 + Select + Start" by default (adding a "TROJAN" file in the VMC can change this behavior)
    8. The names of your .ELF popstarter game files should be in all CAPS, OPL appears to be sensitive to this
    9. To Do - Give GSM option to boot to OPL directly, instead of going through Ulaunchelf, "boot.elf"
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 6th-December-2015 at 03:27.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Thanks
    EP Points

Compatibility List + Hard Coded "POPSTARTER.ELF" Files (Fixed Display cutting out, by using GSM's "SDTV" Mode of "NTSC" (480i) on my hdtv, 1080i gives BSOD "Black Screen of Death")

Mode 9 Disabled (Automatic PAL)

This option is required for a 500 gig ... 2.5 Sata Internal Hard Drive I'm using with a Network Card [I](IDE Sata Adapter + 2 Inch Male to Female IDE Cable) or else Popstarter will not go past black screen (I used the IDE Sata Adapter that is Red in Color, it has a jumper you must set to position "9" in order to detect your harddrive, I cut the case about 2 inches in so the IDE CABLE can hang down and the Harddrive can rest in the ps2 unit, the ps2 is lifted up on two small pieces of old marble coaster you can just use wood or something so it does not rest on the IDE CABLE). The harddrive I'm using I pulled from a PS4, as I upgraded the harddrive on a "Uncharted Bundle Package". ... (Skip Level 1 Functions fixed BSOD when Mode 9 was Enabled, just disabling Mode 9 fixes the BSOD without using Skip Level 1 Functions) (some games ignore the $SMOOTH command in the CHEATS.TXT, not caused by Mode 6)

Various Mode Hard Codes - Mode 4on 6on 9off for all (Default) + MultiDisk (some retesting)

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Azure Dreams - Default (minor audio stutter when leaving houses)
    Beyond the Beyond - Default (severe audio stutter when changing maps (towns or dungeons))
    Breath of Fire 3 - Default (looks great)
    Breath of Fire 4 - Default (looks great)
    Chrono Cross Multidisk Image - Default (Size 977mb)
    Diablo - Default
    Dino Crisis 2 - Default
    Disruptor - Default (Looks Great)
    Dodonpachi Taikenban - Default
    Eternal Eyes - Default (severe audio stutter when leaving houses)
    Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3.0.8 - Default (minor water sound in background, missing tutorial texts)
    Gaia Seed - Default
    Intelligent Qube - Default (Looks Good)
    Intelligent Qube Final - Default (Looks Good)
    Grandia Multidisk Image (Redux 3.0 Patched) - Default (Size 1.23 Gigs) (BSOD if Mode 2 Patched used after
    "New Game" screen)
    Koudelka Multidisk Image - Default (Size 1.45 Gigs) (random brief, small sound hiccup on enemy attacks, not always) (Looks Good)
    Langrisser IV 1.3 English - Default (Buzzing Sound on Scenario Screens - Everything else works great)
    Legend of Legaia - Mode 2-4-6-9off some drawing errors on map, plays great
    Lunar 1 Multidisk Image - Default (1.09 Gb) (Freezes on startup video half way through, press start to skip, ingame videos seem to work fine)
    Master of Monsters - Default (sound skipping at battle scenes)
    Parasite Eve MultiDisk Image - Default (Size 865mb)
    Raystorm - Default (minor slowdown when a lot happens on screen) (Looks Good)
    Saga Frontier 1 - Do not Enable Mode 6 or Screen won't show, needs CD checks ("Libcrypt Disabled Mode 4 and 9 off" in Link Above)
    Saga Frontier 2 - Default (Looks Good)
    Saiyuki Journey West - Default
    Silhouette Mirage - Default (Looks Good)
    Star Ocean MultiDisk Image - Default (Size 1.19 Gigs) (minor audio studder when opening menu or when battle loads)
    Strikers 1945 - Default
    Tales of Destiny - Default
    Terra Driver - Default (Looks Great)
    Time Bokan - Default (Looks Good)
    Einhander - Default (works with default POPS.ELF bios, not require "PSP 660 PS1 Bios") (Looks Good)
    Wild Arms - Default (Looks Good)

Other Games I tested previously with the Original POPS-00001 (So they should still works Great)
    Steel Reign
    Marvel Super Heroes
    Armored Core 1
    Armored Core 2
    Dino Crisis 1
    Armored Core 3 NTSC
    Thunder Force 5 NTSC
    Gundam Battle Assault 2
    Revolution X

Not Working (Maybe retest a few known, not working ones)
    Abe's Odyssey - Severe Graphic Glitches
    Doom - Severe Slowdown, Choppy Sound
    Doom 2 Final Doom - Severe Slowdown, Choppy Sound
    Castlevania SOTN - BSOD after name entry screen, default + no mode 6 tried
    Final Fantasy 7 - BSOD after pressing Start on title screen ... Default + Libcrypt +multiple modes (not a multibin image)
    Final Fantasy 9 MultiDisk Image - Failed to transfer after about 1300 MB of about 2600MB, (transfer rate dropped to low, transfer method USB HDD to Internal HDD using ulaunchelf)
    Hoshigami - Default (Cursor on Map remains glued to Character)
    Parasite Eve 2 MultiDisk Image - Freezes on Square Logo ... Default + Libcrypt +multiple modes
    Ogre Battle - Default (Lots of Missing Music)
    Rhapsody - BSOD - Default + Mode 6 Disabled
    Tales of Phantasia Eng1.1.1 - BSOD with one Subtitle after naming character screen

Create "RomList" (List of All Games in a .txt file inside a folder)
    ECHO on

dir /b "%cd%" > romlist.txt

PAUSE

Create File from "RomList" (Creates Renamed "POPSTARTER.ELF" files for games listed in text file "Romlist.txt")
    ECHO on

for /f "tokens=*" %%l in (romlist.txt) do @type POPSTARTER.ELF>> "%%l.ELF"

PAUSE

Green portion gets copied into a batch file, you place it in the folder and double click thats all. First one make Romlist, second one makes POPSTARTER.ELF files renamed for the games listed in the Romlist. Those two batch files are very handy when dealing with the Mame Emulator when you have to create .ini files or other, for hundreds of games. In which case, the batch files are the best way to go, rather than using a program. Transferring about 60 something games from usb hdd to internal harddrive thats a few hours, but it only took a few seconds to make POPSTARTER.ELF files for them all.

(Retesting - Few Hours - Days)

(There's some good ones that play great and look good, some of them look really fuzzy ... I dedicated 137 gigs for the roms, but looks like the good ones will fit with just 10 gigs or less)
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 8th-December-2015 at 00:05.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psalmsamuel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quick POPS-00001 Emulator Guide (Fixed Display cutting out, by using GSM's "SDTV" Mode of "NTSC" on my hdtv)

(POPS-00001 will support a maximum of 137 Gigs on your Hard Drive, so make sure you add the PS1 Games on there first, so the position does not exceed this range, then you will be fine)

You Will Need The Following For this Guide!

1. "disc" folder with "disc0" file inside
    2. "Execute.ELF Batch Renamer"
    3. "PSX Image Auto Patcher"

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Step 1: Create A Partition on Hard Drive and Set the Size of the Partition using UlaunchELF (see attachment in First Post)

13 Characters Max. "PP.WILDARMS01" (for Game "Wild Arms"), partition is sized to 768mb because that is closest to the game's size

Step 2: Create "EXECUTE.ELF" with the name of your game's partition in the file "Game_Partition_Name".

You will simply paste "PP.WILDARMS01" in the text file "Game_Partition_Name", then run the .bat file thats all.

Step 3: Converting your .CUE/.BIN Playstation 1 Image

Inside the folder called "PSX Image Auto Patcher", you will drag and drop your .CUE file on the "POPS-00001" program, it will create a .VCD file. Now you will double click "VCD to MYDUMP.BIN Renamer Double click.bat", and your finished you should have a "MYDUMP.BIN" file.

Step 4: Add Your Files to the Game Partition "PP.WILDARMS01" You Created

1. "disc0" folder with "disc0" file inside
    2. "EXECUTE.ELF" file with the name of your games partition "PP.WILDARMS00" you entered into the text file
    3. MYDUMP.BIN file you created using "Step 3"

Compatibility Results (I have several Backed Up, I didn't list the test results for and Several I already Tested all NTSC, 1 Jap, no PAL, not sure if PAL even works or you may have to change the "License" information manually)
    Results! ... The HDTV (JVC 32 inch) or the "Component Splitter", I'm using is causing an incompatibility issue and giving me the "Unsupported Mode" Warning on the TV. FIXED ("Unsupported" Errors from TV) - GSM 0.37 set to "480i" (The TV trying to force 480p after detecting 480i)

Saga Frontier - Works Great (Have to adjust the Screen from GSM, but everything is perfectly ok)

(Retesting current "POPSTARTER" in Second Post) (Some Major Improvements Made there)
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 27th-November-2015 at 01:04.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to psalmsamuel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Good day, I was wondering if it is possible to play Tomb Raider 1 and 2 with sound, thank you

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by romeu46 View Post
    Good day, I was wondering if it is possible to play Tomb Raider 1 and 2 with sound, thank you
    Official Compatibility Lists Tomb Raider as working with sound (?) ... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...s8E/edit#gid=0 ... assume its using Mode 4-6 with Libcrypt Disabled. Unfortunately, I don't own a Legal Copy of that game so I won't be able to include it on my compatibility list. ... since that is an official list, its unlikely any of the results conducted in this private-not-for-profit-research, will deviate from those existing results. http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/...el/stateID.jpg ... I've included my State ID, you can do something very illegal, with that information or submit an inquiry to the authorities. (our nightly walk today, will be postponed until Tuesday next week or perhaps opportunistically, as we come closer to the holiday season, and closer to remediation of the public threat that has taken the form of certain kind (s) of people in society ... rest assured, there is a solution that only a certain individual can produce, based on the level of force).

(still no luck with the larger transfer of FF9 about 2.6 gigs, looks like I'll have to try ftp from ulaunchelf instead or other ... managed to find a legal copy of Tomb Raider, I'll indicate it on the list no problem if I manage to find a dump with .ape file so I can convert and play with that, anyway, so far some multidisk images do work I'll have to update the second post later on today, cheers.)
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 5th-December-2015 at 18:35.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to psalmsamuel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay thank you for your attention

Thanks

If you succeed, you let me know tried various ways more unsuccessfully i tried copy the files but they are protected but if you get appreciate
    Last edited by romeu46; 5th-December-2015 at 23:12.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by romeu46 View Post
    If you succeed, you let me know tried various ways more unsuccessfully i tried copy the files but they are protected but if you get appreciate
    Finished all my testing, truth is I'm only interested in a few games. Namely, Intelligent Qube 1 and 2, Saga Frontier 1 and 2, Revolution X, Koudelka and Grandia 3.0 Redux, Disruptor and Terra Driver ... thats all. Thats about 7 gigs, so I have to reformat my ps2 HDD, because the other games aren't worth it, they don't look as good as the PS1 Emulator for the PSP or PSP Vita. The rest I don't care about, so the additional hours of testing I just gave up on. Good News is Tomb Raider for PS1 is available on PSN if you have a PSP or PSP Vita, etc. You can play it that way, I do remember it had sound issues with the PCSXBOX emulator for Xbox 1. Good Luck.
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 8th-December-2015 at 00:59.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psalmsamuel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Okay, I thought had a way to play Tomb Raider 1 or 2 with sound, thank you