Thread: need help with raspberry pi2

Thanks

Default need help with raspberry pi2

Hello everyone I needed help with my raspberry pi2. I am very new to this and just purchased a pi 2, usb famicom controllers ,16gb Samsung class 10 micro sd card and usb keyboard and mouse. so I wrote the image on the sd card everything boots up, freeware games work, controllers work etc... but when It comes down to loading my roms they do not work. this is what I am doing. I pick the rom sets that I like lets say Atari 2600, sega mastersystem, sega 32x, nes, snes. I download the roms sets. I use 7zip manager and unzip the files and save them. Then I go to cyberduck and use ssh file transfer tool, Home>pi>retropie>roms I click and drag the corresponding folders and drag them into the folders. I reboot>sudo reboot the pi boots up into emulation station but the games don't appear out of the ones mentioned only Atari and sega 32x images appear, click on the icon and there is 1 file , I clik on it and it reboots to the prompt screen. is there something I am missing? I followed everything but I cant get this pie going. I really would like to revive some memories so any help is much appreciated. as soon as I figure this out I will begin a cabinet build. I know im new here but ive searched hi and low watched vids searched this and other sights and I cant get any answers. So I am down and out that its not as advertised but im all ears ready to take it in like a sponge. Step by step would be fantastic!

Thanks
    Thezapper

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I wish I had a Pi 2 so I could really help out but I have yet to get one , I can point you in the right direction though.

Are you just using it for emulation?

If so I suggest you use Lakka - http://www.lakka.tv/

It is the official distro for Retroarch/Libretro, I have yet to use Lakka personally since I just use Retroarch standalone.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

google "RetroPie" the best choice in game emulation on the Raspberry Pi

Thanks

Retropie will only show games that are in the rom folders if they are the correct file type for that system. For the Atari 2600 they need to be .bin, .rom or .26 - the info on each system can be found here - this is the Atari 2600 page - https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie...iki/atari-2600

The roms I have in my Retropie image under Atari 2600 are .bin files - and they all display fine.

You don't need to use cyberduck to transfer files - your Raspberry Pi should show up on your network under the name RetroPie and you can browse it and see the roms folder. There you can drag and drop roms into the various system folders. I'm guessing something is going wrong with the Cyberduck transfer.

I suppose also it could be possible that the romsets you are trying to transfer are broken - though this is very unlikley for you to have multiple broken romsets. Try downloading the Atari 2600 romset from this site and try as it's where I got my working one from.
    Last edited by ashmck73; 24th-December-2015 at 14:00.