Thread: XBMC and other issues

Thanks
    EP Points

Question XBMC and other issues

Hey
    I'd like to ask some questions about problems I am having:

1) I had XMBC installed and I installed UnleashX from a Hexen disk, now I can't seem to get back to the emulators (coinops etc.) on XBMC. I go to install XBMC and I get this warning (for example if I select the E drive):
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ********
    This installs XBMC to E:\Apps\XBMC\, and installs the XBMC Dash Shortcut.
    If you already have XBMC installed there, it will overwrite it, including your library and all of your XBMC settings. Continue?
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ********
    So does that mean it will delete the games library and such or what exactly?

2) I am having trouble with my component cable and read this as a solution that solved it for other people:
    Go to E:/ndts/default.xbe, choose nkpatcher, click first option, and reboot.
    The problem being that I don't have an 'ndts' folder, is there something I should install from the Hexen disk/elsewhere that will make that option selectable?

Thanks for a reply

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not sure why you would downgrade but whatever

XBMC and UnleashX use different paths (I would stick with XBMC though) if I remember you can change the default paths by editing an ini file (can't give exact details as I dropped that Dash a long time ago due to compat issues)

EDIT:- actually not sure unless you have the games on a different partition it may well delete the games especially if it actually formats the partition that you select

Nope it will not delete anything asides from the XBMC dash (that it does not delete but will write over it) but UnleashX is a downgrade to XBMC less options lower compat for games from HDD ect ect ect (XBMC has more built in game fixes)

nkpatcher is not what you want I take it you are using a PAL Xbox though that does not support HD res on it's own, if that is the case all you need to do is patch the console to run in NTSC mode (not the same as using XBMC to run in NTSC)

the reason you will not have the path for nkpatcher is because you will not have nkpatcher you would need to FTP that to your xbox or copy it via a DVD/CD-R maybe

What you realy want is Enigma Video Mode Switch it can be used to switch both ways to NTSC to PAL or PAL to NTSC

Do note that if you want to remove the mod or re-do your xbox mod via the original game exploits make sure the video mode is set back to pal otherwise the games will not boot once the mod is removed if the video is still set to NTSC

Also note that some games will only run in 480i still anyway unless you patch them, also a few games on 1.6 xbox versions will be scrambled in 480p though there may be ways round it, sure I made a thread on the subject a few years back, but I mostly use an older version of the xbox anyway so no longer an issue for me anyway

P.S. some games may not FTP over correctly due to limitations of the Xbox HDD file name system that is limited vs the DVD file naming system, I have made and uploaded fixes for as many games as I could though for this issue and 480i to 480p as well as other issues

P.P.S. very very few games run at 720p or 1080p mind, I have a list over at Google Docs
    The list has other info you may find usfull though some of the notes are still incomplete, mostly due to lack of time to complete the notes
    Last edited by Zorlon; 15th-November-2015 at 09:00.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

I'll be honest and say I installed UnleashX because I didn't know what I was doing, it was suggested I installed Ndure or something and was told the name next to it (i.e. the person who made it I guess?) and I didn't read it properly I guess so I ended up installing UnleashX, which probably sounds dumb to someone who knows what they ARE doing but that is what happened.

So my other question should be, how do I get my XBMC screen back on start up?
    Yeah I am using a PAL Xbox, and no the region change disk didn't help as that is what made the screen green to begin with, the picture in NTSC mode wouldn't display in proper colour.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Boot the original dash, don't know off the top of my head how you do that in unleash but there should be a basic option to do so and enable 480p 720p and 1080p (that is after you use the video mode changer)

I would find it strange if you TV does not support 480p and up but support component, unless you just have a bad component cable as most of the unofficial ones will have connection issues with intermittent loss of picture (not heard of green screen issues though) but the official component box works great with high grade component cable attached to it

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Installing_XBMC has a few tips

When I done it, I kind of used option 4 outlined there, that is risky but replaces the other dash totally, I can totally understand anyone not wanting to take a risk like that though

1 is the best all round option to do this a safe way or option 3 (option 2 is for mod chip users only)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-November-2015 at 05:13.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I don't really know what I've done and I wish I had just bought a damn new component cable to begin with instead of messing with this stuff, (oh and yeah I followed the instructions to the letter on option 1 and it hasn't changed a thing for some reason), I've been fiddling with it for 4 hours now and I'm just mentally done with this crap. I also tried installing XBMC from a Hexen disk and it has done nothing either.

Thanks for your help anyway and I do appreciate it, I'm just going to buy another pre-modded Xbox or try to find someone who can sort it out over the internet for me I think as this hassle isn't honestly worth it in exchange for my sanity.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

try launching the xbe files manually to find out what is actually booting the current dash

then replace that xbe with xbmc dash shortcut file from instructions 1 (you do need to make sure xbmc is in the correct path if it is in a different path you may need to make your own shortcut using option 3 instead)

make sure you are not tired when you do this so you don't make a silly mistake on the way

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I've found it and redone the .cfg file again and changed the path (which did look a bit wrong now that I look at it again) so it's definitely correct now.
    I've honestly done it correctly 3 times from start to end with all the steps in option 1, I didn't need to do the bit where it says to install XBMC obviously as it's already there so inside the text file there is the path to the .xbe file for XBMC. But nope still launching with Unleash X and wont start XBMC.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

you want to replace the main xbe of unleashX

or just do what I done and replace the entire install of unleashX with XBMC over the top of it (The risky option)

it's that or create a PC restore CD (don't jump on that without first knowing what to do though)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]