Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ECM vs ISO ePSXe

Thanks

Did that and I get that error message. Strangely (and this happened when I first tried to open the nightly package but not after and never with the stable) my Avast! started an external scan when I tried to open the stable package with the nightly exe. I wonder if the scan is causing a problem? I checked the files in the stable and nightly and they're the same. However the stable package is substantially bigger in size and its extraction takes a noticeably longer time.

UPDATE: I copied the stable exe to the nightly and it worked. Will see how the rest goes. Thanks for the idea.

"you must put the bios files in the Retroarch system folder then in Retroarch go to settings>directorys>bios directory>set to the retroarch system folder then hit escape to close and save your settings in case it crashes, when RA crashes you lose any unsaved settings"

I don't see a retroarch system folder. I got to settings -> directory and arrive at system/BIOS dir with locations underneath some of which are from the retroarch folder such as Downloads Dir but I see no system folder. My Retroarch folder is on my desktop if that matters.

(Sorry for the double post deadlegion.)

Update: I was able to navigate all the way to the system folder, downloaded then loaded the psx core and was able to look at the game. My picture seems to be either 4:3 or actually smaller with larger black borders so maybe you can tell me how to set the screen correctly. If I want to play a PSP or other console game all I need to do is download the console core? My BIOS library is set for all consoles?

Thanks so much. Really appreciate your help.

Update: Fixed the screen ratio, looking to figure other stuff. Thanks again.

Update: Have to say that while the translation is better with RetroArch (spells, battle transitions, status menus emulate properly) the ePSXe is much better looking, at least with the LoD. At first blush then, I'd choose to play PSX games on the ePSXe due to the better graphic quality.
    Last edited by NVF; 4th-November-2015 at 19:37. Reason: merged posts

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

In Retroarch, get into your game and then press F1. Go to the bottom of the menu that comes up and you should see a line about Filters. It's not the same as the HD options in ePSXe, but the filters will allow you to change the look of your game. Once you have filters that you want to try set up, go to the top of the menu and select Apply Filters. It may take some time to get it looking how you want. But this is Retroarch so once you get it right it's easy to save the filters and not need to play with them again.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Mednafen accurately emulates the PSX so its not going to have inaccurate graphics rendering, you will have to wait for the PCSX ReARMed core to be ported to PC since it currently only runs on ARM hardware.

Do as skullpoker said and use Shaders, it will make the games look much nicer and there is MANY to choose from.

Try some shader presets to see just what they can do, I personally use SABR v3.0 or xBR for pixel smoothing and CRT shaders to give it that old CRT look when it seems proper for a certain game.

There is a whole lotta fun to be had.
    Last edited by Warrior; 4th-November-2015 at 21:48.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Okay, I 'll play with the settings and see. Tried a PPSSPP game and it failed. Got an error that I found discussed on libretro that didn't cause a problem for the poster but it crashed my game. What I wanted to know is if my PC has trouble running a PSP game on the PPSSPP emulator (my PC is old and weak) will it have similar trouble on RetroArch. If RetroArch's basically a shell of sorts for many emulators than I'd expect to have trouble with games that I do on other emulators.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by NVF View Post
    Okay, I 'll play with the settings and see. Tried a PPSSPP game and it failed. Got an error that I found discussed on libretro that didn't cause a problem for the poster but it crashed my game. What I wanted to know is if my PC has trouble running a PSP game on the PPSSPP emulator (my PC is old and weak) will it have similar trouble on RetroArch. If RetroArch's basically a shell of sorts for many emulators than I'd expect to have trouble with games that I do on other emulators.

Thanks for the input.
    PPSSPP does not run so well through retroarch, I recommend using that vanilla - http://buildbot.orphis.net/ you can grab the latest nightly there.

How old is your PC?

PPSSPP runs decently even on my junky hardware which is kinda surprising.

Remember some games run well and some not well at all in PPSSPP but what it can run is amazing, excellent quality and optimization for low end hardware.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

My PC is about 6 years old I think. Very low end, integrated graphics card. Tried to play PeaceWalker through PPSSPP itself and it was stutter city.
    Last edited by NVF; 5th-November-2015 at 00:51.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My PC is about 6 years old I think. Very low end, integrated graphics card. Tried to play PeaceWalker through PPSSPP itself and it was stutter city.
    Intel chipset?

My PCs are just as old yet they can run peace walker.

Even my junky laptop can run peace walker decently and its intel integrated horsedung.

Are all PSP games choppy?

We talking real stuttering as in sound is breaking apart or is it just being auto frame skipped?

Thanks

AMD Sempron. Just tried Peacewalker again and it crashed in the intro. Sound is definitely choppy and the vid seems okay but probably on the slow/underwater side like when your process can't really keep up, but the video test would be game play. Haven't tried any other PSPs but will later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ya you should see how it runs with other games, since your PC seems underpowered turn on frameskip to 2 and check the auto frameskip box, that should ease it a bit.

Thanks

Core Crisis seems to play very well. Good sound and video, smooth gameplay. Those settings helped a little for PeaceWalker but the game crashes (PPSSPP does not) at the same spot each load. PPSSPP does crash when I try to put it into fullscreen. I can enlarge the window to fit my screen however.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Core Crisis seems to play very well. Good sound and video, smooth gameplay. Those settings helped a little for PeaceWalker but the game crashes (PPSSPP does not) at the same spot each load. PPSSPP does crash when I try to put it into fullscreen. I can enlarge the window to fit my screen however.
    is PPSSPP set to directx or opengl?

Thanks

I downloaded PPSSPP version 1.0 and Peace Walker works well. Fullscreen also works. While I suppose I can master the strange Peace Walker control scheme with time I'm not sure I want to devote the time to it and the button controlled camera seems like a minor disaster.

Tried direct3D9 and the game crashed in the same spot.

EDIT: Tried direct3D9 with the most recent version of PPSSPP to be clear.
    Last edited by NVF; 5th-November-2015 at 22:21.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I downloaded PPSSPP version 1.0 and Peace Walker works well. Fullscreen also works. While I suppose I can master the strange Peace Walker control scheme with time I'm not sure I want to devote the time to it and the button controlled camera seems like a minor disaster.

Tried direct3D9 and the game crashed in the same spot.

EDIT: Tried direct3D9 with the most recent version of PPSSPP to be clear.
    Were you using the latest build?

You can set the Dpad to 2 places on the controller FYI, put the Dpad on both the Dpad and the right stick, does wonders.

Thanks

Thanks for the D-pad tip. Will see if I can manage it. The version not working for Peace Walker is 1.1.1.213 which I think is the latest version/build.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Thanks for the D-pad tip. Will see if I can manage it. The version not working for Peace Walker is 1.1.1.213 which I think is the latest version/build.
    Oh, il need to test it.

Sometimes a game will break with any code changes, if PW is broke thats not good.

If it is I will report it.

Edit: it is indeed borked, looking into it now.
    Last edited by Warrior; 6th-November-2015 at 03:14.