Thread: Emulator that can use GB game color palettes?

Thanks

Default Emulator that can use GB game color palettes?

I'm playing Game Boy games on a real Game Boy Advance SP, where some of them get color. Adventure Island or Castlevania Legends, for example. And it's not just the four-color palette that you can select during bootup when the Game Boy animation appears, they seem to be completely independent colors (pink, green, black and white at the same time in Adventure Island, for example).

These are Game Boy games, however, not GBC. When I try the same games in an emulator, I only get the plain old green or monochrome palette.

Are there emulators that enable those extra colors?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

The GB emu I have on my PSP does that simulated colours thing, so I assume it should be possible via a PC emu. Can't remember the emu atm.

Spoiler warning:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To get the look you desire use Gambatte - http://sourceforge.net/projects/gamb...gambatte/r571/

It is the best emulator for Gameboy/Gameboy Color.

load a game > Settings > DMG Pallete > Choose the desired pallete for the look you want.

Gambatte is also in Retroarch if you wish to run it through there with all kinds of sweet modifications to the overall visuals.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    load a game > Settings > DMG Pallete > Choose the desired pallete for the look you want.
    Ah hah! DMG! That was the keyword I needed Thanks, I will try Gambatte and research a bit more about how DMG works. It's interesting that Nintendo seems to have included palette information in their GB games from as early as Super Mario Land!

Edit: It seems the palettes are actually stored in the Game Boy Color, Advance or Game Boy Player, not in the ROM itself and applying an algorithm to the game's title to construct the right palette! Fascinating!
    Last edited by psy-q; 2nd-November-2015 at 08:29.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I finally found the correct method in Retroarch to have it as if you are looking at the original gameboy LCD screen, use the McGreen shader and its perfect, even makes other games seem like they are on gameboy.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Retroarch is not for the GBA

Goomba if I remember is though http://www.webpersona.com/goomba/

That has some nice border and palette options built into it, but mostly stuck with pre-sets

There are also some nice palette tools that can apply directly to roms but it does not work with all games, done one myself years ago with Metroid II

The tool was GB Colorizer, that will change the rom into a gbc rom and allow palette changes directly, this worked very well last time I played with it

P.S. Castlevania has GBC and SGB versions look in the Komani collections for some of those I know there is only 3 GB Caslevania games 2 are in the collections the other one has direct GBC or SGB release anyway, always worth looking to see if x game had a GBC or SGB release or even part of some collection maybe as GBA or as GBC/SGB

EDIT
    It's Konami Collection Vol.1 and 4 for the GBC that has a Castlevania game included in color, Castlevania Legends is a Super Gameboy game anyway, those collections hold 4 games each

The Super GameBoy was the first colour GameBoy handheld not the GameBoy Color, the GameBoy Color has much better colours though as Goomba emulates both GBC and SGB all SGB games will have colour in them however original GB games don't unless you hack them to have them or use a custom palette via emulation

Any emulator that you can select between SGB GBC and GB emulation will also use a basic 4 grade mono palette
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-November-2015 at 08:23.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Retroarch is not for the GBA
    Ya I know, was just saying it for the "look" of the original Gameboy.

You won't be getting that on a GBA without some sort of flashcard and emulator or some crazy GBA modifying.

A nifty android based handheld would do the trick too like the JXD .

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Then this thread is in the wrong section should be in everything emulation under nintendo for emulation on a PC

Used GBA flash carts for a long time myself though

Though I no longer have one all my kits went missing (Stolen along with the console ) something I have been meaning to buy again for a long time, just the ones I loved are no longer available to buy, that and the new ones are not all that cheap, still cheaper than buying a ton of original carts though as always.

GB emulation works on most devices I have an old GPX2 that handle GB/SGB/GBC just fine (It's a pure homebrew handheld console, though don't pull that out now) PSP is ok for this also and simple enough to mod, just need a good amount of space 3DS DS GBA can all do the same via flash kits, not that I recommend a GBA for emulation, but it does handle other handheld before it's time very well so GameGear Atari Lynk ect run very well via a GBA flash kit via the appropriate emulator of choice, otherwise the screen is a little small/low res for SNES/Genesis ect (same applies to DS, and so far there is no emulkators that I know of that take advantage of the 3DS they are still in DS mode) but the GBA has a few well done ports anyway

The games mentioned are in fact Super GameBoy games not your standard GameBoy games at all and do contain colour paletts

It's not some GBA SP magic or GameBoy Player wizardry though those games just have the palettes in them
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-November-2015 at 08:41.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    There are also some nice palette tools that can apply directly to roms but it does not work with all games, done one myself years ago with Metroid II

The tool was GB Colorizer, that will change the rom into a gbc rom and allow palette changes directly, this worked very well last time I played with it
    Does that exist built into an emu though? I'm sure I tried out some GB roms (maybe they were SGB idk) on my PSP and there was a colour option for GB games

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

GB Colorizer hard hacks the roms no emulator has that build into it but some emulators you can customize colours just not as much as GB Colorizer can that is not stick on 4 colors but can have as much as GBC games

Super games have colours coded into them already and does not have options for the colours same with gameboy color games

GB games have 4 shades so emulators can colour each shade normally through colour options, it also looks at layers so you can change a certain layers 4 shades, clever but not perfect

The thing Warrior was talking about though I have a feeling does a bit more (might be thinking of another emulator though mind) anyway you can actually change each 8x8 sprites 4 colours that basically can add more than the 4 colours per screen like GB colorizer can, but that can be a fiddle to do, and is more of a soft mod to the rom so it is not actually altered

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]