Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: EverDrive Packs Release Thread

Thanks
    EP Points

Discontinuation of the precompiled packs makes me a sad panda... but I understand.
    Thanks for all the hard work, it really is one of my favorite projects.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, I do appreciate the work of keeping them going for the time that you have - but I too am saddened that they will no longer be available. Finding good sets (and especially organizing them) was always a challenge before I found this... I'm just glad I have the current versions. Will need to archive them myself in case of card failures I suppose. It was great while it lasted! Thanks again smoke.

Thanks
    EP Points

I too am saddened by the discontinuation of precompiled packs, but good luck with your future endeavors. I understand the need to go "legit" though, it's probably a bit of a risk making and hosting the packs.

Thanks for the fun times!

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks

Has anyone explored the idea of putting multiple sets on a single card? It's not that card are too expensive at all. I just find myself with only larger cards and seems wasteful to only use a percentage of their capacity. The idea being that when moved from cart to cart, it would pick up what's needed for that cart itself.

Thanks
    EP Points

thanks smokemonster. dunno how this could possibly be better though, or what any of this open source stuff actually means? roms are illegal (not that i care), no matter how you frame them.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by tusecsy View Post
    thanks smokemonster. dunno how this could possibly be better though, or what any of this open source stuff actually means? roms are illegal (not that i care), no matter how you frame them.
    What he is doing is providing a program that organizes roms. So if you go out and get your own set of roms including hacks and homebrew and such it will check the unique hash every file has and then it will rename the files and move them into the folders like he has them set up now. As he isn't including any roms or copyrighted code with this program it is 100% legal and can be distributed and preserved for all of space and time.

Also roms are not illegal, having digital copies of things you don't own that are still protected by copyright laws is illegal.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 739 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_ View Post
    Also roms are not illegal, having digital copies of things you don't own that are still protected by copyright laws is illegal.
    Depends on where you are. Laws differ from country to country.
    Plenty of places it is illegal to make a copy or have a copy of anything still covered by copyright, owning a retail release is irrelevant.
    Even hacks are legally dubious as copyright material has been modified without permission of the owner.
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Depends on where you are. Laws differ from country to country.
    Plenty of places it is illegal to make a copy or have a copy of anything still covered by copyright, owning a retail release is irrelevant.
    Even hacks are legally dubious as copyright material has been modified without permission of the owner.
    Irrelevant. a) Because it is completely unenforceable without searching someone (unless they distribute them) and b) because no roms are included in the sorting program regardless of their legality in your area.

Thanks
    EP Points

Irrelevant. a) Because it is completely unenforceable without searching someone (unless they distribute them) and b) because no roms are included in the sorting program regardless of their legality in your area.
    Unenforceable doesn't mean legal. You can't claim something is legal when it actually isn't somewhere.

b) has nothing to do with what I said, I was commenting on your statement about roms not being illegal if you own the games. I wasn't referring to the sorting prog at all.
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Unenforceable doesn't mean legal. You can't claim something is legal when it actually isn't somewhere.

b) has nothing to do with what I said, I was commenting on your statement about roms not being illegal if you own the games. I wasn't referring to the sorting prog at all.
    That's stupid as B was the entire point of what we're talking about. Please stop derailing the thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

That's stupid as B was the entire point of what we're talking about. Please stop derailing the thread.
    Oh grow up. You made an erroneous statement and I simply wanted to make sure people weren't confused.
    Noobs ask about roms being legal from time to time and what you posted is misleading.
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh grow up. You made an erroneous statement and I simply wanted to make sure people weren't confused.
    Noobs ask about roms being legal from time to time and what you posted is misleading.
    Okay, if you insist on derailing the thread allow me to correct your statement:

In almost every area owning legal backups is allowed, however in some small corners of the world or possibly random states inside the U.S. owning backups of content you've purchased may be illegal.

While that pertains to owning any roms period you are probably looking to download a pack of them which includes content you don't personally own and that is illegal. But that doesn't matter at all because to find the content your local law enforcement would need to be searching your data and odds are LJN isn't coming after you for your copy of the Karate Kid you downloaded because how would they even know. Law enforcement doesn't just come after you for theft if the owner of the content doesn't report a theft. Also, how many licenses do you think have changed in 40 years and how much content is no longer licensed at all? And even if by some miracle some publisher found out you had their content and was able to get law enforcement to come after you for it, how much do you think they would get? They can't prove any damages to their bottom line because everything provided here is no longer sold but lets assume the maximum penalty of 15 grand per rom owned by that publisher(in my residence). How much money do you think the bad press would cost them in sales? A lot more than whatever they could get out of you. And that is why if you don't distribute roms not only will no one ever have any proof you have them but also no one will ever come after you for owning them.

So regardless of if owning backups and content the copyright has expired/defaulted on is legal (and you're probably not interested in just owning backups anyways) it simply doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Wolf_; 23rd-November-2017 at 10:40.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay, if you insist on derailing the thread allow me to correct your statement:

In almost every area owning legal backups is allowed, however in some small corners of the world or possibly random states inside the U.S. owning backups of content you've purchased may be illegal.

While that pertains to owning any roms period you are probably looking to download a pack of them which includes content you don't personally own and that is illegal. But that doesn't matter at all because to find the content your local law enforcement would need to be searching your data and odds are LJN isn't coming after you for your copy of the Karate Kid you downloaded because how would they even know. Law enforcement doesn't just come after you for theft if the owner of the content doesn't report a theft. Also, how many licenses do you think have changed in 40 years and how much content is no longer licensed at all? And even if by some miracle some publisher found out you had their content and was able to get law enforcement to come after you for it, how much do you think they would get? They can't prove any damages to their bottom line because everything provided here is no longer sold but lets assume the maximum penalty of 15 grand per rom owned by that publisher(in my residence). How much money do you think the bad press would cost them in sales? A lot more than whatever they could get out of you. And that is why if you don't distribute roms not only will no one ever have any proof you have them but also no one will ever come after you for owning them.

So regardless of if owning backups and content the copyright has expired/defaulted on is legal (and you're probably not interested in just owning backups anyways) it simply doesn't matter.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. The bit there about modchips is funny, there are legitimate businesses here that mod consoles and sell modchips, flashers etc (it mentions that in the US modchips and modding consoles are illegal). Roms and copied game discs are still illegal here though, it's the same as making a copy of a movie or audio disc that you "don't want to get scratched" or whatever.
    Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Every day that passes I'm worried that Nintendo/Sega/Atari/NEC/etc anyone drops a bomb here and these packs are gone for good. Has anyone, specially SmokeMonster, did any homework to procect the project and himself in case of alarm?