Thread: [PS1] Temperamental Backups

Thanks

Angry [PS1] Temperamental Backups

Greetings fellow Retro Gamers.

I was wondering whether you could help me with an issue I've been facing with my - modded - PS1 for a while.

To be more specific, I've burned - following each step of Zorlon's guides (hail Zorlon) - a couple of .bin files on brand new Sony CD's with the lowest possible writing speed of my laptop (1x -> 10x), using ImgBurn.

The resulting backups however, tend to be a bit "temperamental". In other words, the games run ONLY after I've played for a while one of my old backups (10-15 minutes will do the trick).

If I try to launch a new backup right away, the PS prompts me to the "Insert PS Format Disk" screen or the "Memory Card / Audio CD" menu, while the disk stops spinning and restarts after the above screens.

Since all of my old backups run smoothly, I've eliminated the possibility of a laser issue. In addition to that, I've already burned a couple of ISO files with an old (2001) Toshiba Satellite, which supports 4X writing speed, in order eliminate writing speed as an issue as well. The resulting backups tend to follow the aforementioned pattern all the same.

I would like to know if anyone has faced the same issue and if there might be a solution to this problem.

Thanks in advance

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Same on my end (though using a different laptop)

Best to use the highest grade CD's you can (Brand tends not play part in this) and older CD-R's tend not to age well if they are not written to

You can also try setting a higher burn speed (Not the highest [12x 14x ect ect]) and see if the optimal burning speed for quality is above the lowest the hardware is capped at

TAO should not be used DAO/SAO should be used (Track/Disc/Session At once) TAO tends to cause reading issues

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you Zorlon for your useful post I'll persist on the matter and if the results are good I'll get back to you!