Thread: Star Wars The Force Unleashed PSP

Thanks

Default Star Wars The Force Unleashed PSP

Every single time I try to start the game's story mode, it will freeze for a few seconds and then crash!! I think something is wrong with either my psp or the iso itself... Its really annoying.... Can someone please help me?

Thanks
    EP Points

Prometheus Patched games can work on all the newer firmwares, even the Custom Firmware for the PSP VITA can detect and use Prometheus Patches, putting together a compatibility list http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...m33-and-above*, I guess I can test it out and add it to the list, should be there in a few hours.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Are patches needed if you're using 6.60/6.61 CFW

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That would be a nope

So the question is what is the firmware on the PSP that is having issues with this game

version 5.xx of the PSP firmware is seriously outdated and cfw versions that low are missing features of newer revisions, there is no reason at all why anyone would want to stay on that low of a firmware
    Last edited by Zorlon; 10th-October-2015 at 07:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    version 5.xx of the PSP firmware is seriously outdated and cfw versions that low are missing features of newer revisions, there is no reason at all why anyone would want to stay on that low of a firmware
    Lower Firmwares are less risky, if you have damaged blocks in your psp's NAND (Flash Memory). I wish I could say this wasn't true, however. My Phat PSP (like many and a few slims), have trouble with the more recent version 6 firmwares, like slower responding gui at the menu screens and hiccups. I upgraded a few times to version 6 cfw, and downgraded (back to 3.90, then to 5.00 m33-6). In the process I found I had a few bad blocks in my "Nand (Flash Memory)", so I was really risking a brick.

5.00 cfw, can play all the newer games 6.60 cfw, can play as long as they are supported by the Prometheus Patches. So far thats about every game I tested so far. There's probably a few that aren't.

You will need cfw at least at or above 6.37, to play PSN PLAYSTATION GAMES, which adds nothing new and you can play perfectly with eboot backups on lower firmwares. All the newer firmware supports Prometheus Patched Games, including the Newer PSP Vita Firmwares (they used to check for the backed up eboot.old file, now they just use the prometheus patched files).
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 10th-October-2015 at 17:17.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by psalmsamuel View Post
    Lower Firmwares are less risky, if you have damaged blocks in your psp's NAND (Flash Memory). I wish I could say this wasn't true, however. My Phat PSP (like many and a few slims), have trouble with the more recent version 6 firmwares, like slower responding gui at the menu screens and hiccups. I upgraded a few times to version 6 cfw, and downgraded (back to 3.90, then to 5.00 m33-6). In the process I found I had a few bad blocks in my "Nand (Flash Memory)", so I was really risking a brick.

5.00 cfw, can play all the newer games 6.60 cfw, can play as long as they are supported by the Prometheus Patches. So far thats about every game I tested so far. There's probably a few that aren't.

You will need cfw at least at or above 6.37, to play PSN PLAYSTATION GAMES, which adds nothing new and you can play perfectly with eboot backups on lower firmwares. All the newer firmware supports Prometheus Patched Games, including the Newer PSP Vita Firmwares (they used to check for the backed up eboot.old file, now they just use the prometheus patched files).
    Time to get another PSP. I got mine for nothing, it had never really been used and was already on 6.60 OFW.
    Put 6.60 PRO-C fix3 CFW on it and haven't had any issues.

Spoiler warning:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

From the knowledge I gained from various hackers you can't really brick the 1000-2000 if you have a magic memory stick and a pandora battery, if you do you just use those and good as new.

Since I'm still new to it myself I'm not sure exactly but it seems to be true.

I was on 5.50 CFW and it ran like a cow that had a few gallons of prune juice aka not well at all.

I put it on 6.60 CFW and it runs like a champ.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

You can't really brick if you don't use perm CFW.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    From the knowledge I gained from various hackers you can't really brick the 1000-2000 if you have a magic memory stick and a pandora battery, if you do you just use those and good as new.

Since I'm still new to it myself I'm not sure exactly but it seems to be true.

I was on 5.50 CFW and it ran like a cow that had a few gallons of prune juice aka not well at all.

I put it on 6.60 CFW and it runs like a champ.
    If you leave your PSP, doesn't matter what model it is, OFF for a few weeks or months, without powering it on. You will likely have sluggish responding button inputs, the only way to fix this is to leave it plugged up and powered off for about 12 to 24 hours, or plugged up and powered off with the battery in. The internal components needs a re-energizing.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    You can't really brick if you don't use perm CFW.
    Would I Recommend upgrading to 6.60 Pro CFW FIX 3? HELL NO!

Every time you turn off your console (by holding the switch like 10 seconds) you will have to run the FastRecovery utility to activate the CFW again.
    But If you have a PSP 1000/2000 it’s possible to make the CFW permanent using CIPL_Flasher, if your model is not supported it will tell you so.

1. You have to keep flashing your firmware if you do a "Hard Reset" (Holding Power Button to shut down).
    2. If you accidentally "Permanent Flash", your PSP, your stuck with the Firmware (no more upgrading and no more downgrading)

You don't have to worry about these problems on 5.00 m33-6 and you can play all the games, by Prometheus Patching/eboot decryption the Newer Games, with no problems.

If if asking me would I upgrade, the answer is no, unfortunately I have PSP-TV with the latest 3.55 Firmware, and it appears to be locked out of playing backs because the "fail email fail" hack, whatever its call has been patched. Not much worth playing on PSP-TV so its no big loss (all the people that have bad things to say about this new firmware, well, they are no where to be found, get it!)
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 11th-October-2015 at 23:15.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

Thanks
    EP Points

Fast recovery only takes a few seconds. Big deal
    You can't accidentally "Permanent Flash" your PSP if CIPL flasher isn't there at all.

Emus work (and overclocking), PSOne Classics work using PRO-C fix3 without it being perm.

Why would you want to upgrade and downgrade multiple times

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Perm flashed Custom firmware can still be upgraded/downgraded ect

Constantly switching firmware in itself should not cause issues with the nand but nand space in general can have bad sectors even when the device that has the nand is brand new, but that is normal and normally not an issue as nand even with bad sectors should still have plenty of space excluding the sectors that are bad and still run just perfect

I can't see the OP coming back to this thread now, a shame I would of loved to of actually helped get the game working as it is not hard to do or anything

The more that is posted about this the more rubbish I see

I hardly pull out my PSP but it runs perfectly fine every time, no sluggish responses, it just works

Maybe you have just got a lot of bad luck but most the points made are just wrong

If hanging back on 5.xx Prome is what you want to do or feel you need to do because your system is damaged or has too much of the nand damaged that is realy unusual, go for it but taking that up to be something good for every PSP user is not so good as your issues are not common ones, New PSP's can't even use firmware that low anyway

If you must know I use a 2k model (it's the first slim) I also used to own a bulky PSP 1k model neither have had or did have the issues you describe

The op has not even mentioned the firmware or even the model as of yet and jumping in saying the user should drop to such a low firmware could brick the PSP if it is forced to drop that low and as far as I know there is no Pandora type solutions for newer versions of the PSP to fall back on
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-October-2015 at 07:50.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Perm flashed Custom firmware can still be upgraded/downgraded ect

Constantly switching firmware in itself should not cause issues with the nand but nand space in general can have bad sectors even when the device that has the nand is brand new, but that is normal and normally not an issue as nand even with bad sectors should still have plenty of space excluding the sectors that are bad and still run just perfect
    Common Reasons for a Bricked PSP (Off the top of my head)

1. Updating/Downgrading CFW Firmware (sluggish responses or hiccups is indication of possible brick, after upgrading)
    2. Switching Themes (5.00 m33-6, or the version 5 can use .ctf themes, very stable)
    3. Possibly using some versions of the Newer Firmware, that require you to Re-Flash after a "Hard Reset"

Numbers 1 and 2, me and many others have plenty of experience with, for the PSP Fat, and Slim, 5.00 CFW is the most stable from experience. Fortunately something like "ISOTOOL", which makes the games compatible on lower firmware is a huge blessing. The last few versions of Isotool, and the last version 1981, fixes a bunch of games the previous versions did not.

Some software or emulators can crash randomly on a PSP requiring the user to use a "Hard Reset", and if everything doesn't go as planned, then you have a nice brick (maybe thanks to some versions of new firmware, requiring an addition Re-Flash if "Hard Reset" is used). Unfortunately, just like you've stated, all versions of the PSP console cannot benefit from the "Pandora Brick Recovery Methods", when dealing with firmware. For various reasons, all the newer firmware including the firmware for the PSP VITA supports Prometheus Patched Games, possibly for the simple reason of compatibility.

The more that is posted about this the more rubbish I see

I hardly pull out my PSP but it runs perfectly fine every time, no sluggish responses, it just works

Maybe you have just got a lot of bad luck but most the points made are just wrong

If hanging back on 5.xx Prome is what you want to do or feel you need to do because your system is damaged or has too much of the nand damaged that is realy unusual, go for it but taking that up to be something good for every PSP user is not so good as your issues are not common ones, New PSP's can't even use firmware that low anyway

If you must know I use a 2k model (it's the first slim) I also used to own a bulky PSP 1k model neither have had or did have the issues you describe

The op has not even mentioned the firmware or even the model as of yet and jumping in saying the user should drop to such a low firmware could brick the PSP if it is forced to drop that low and as far as I know there is no Pandora type solutions for newer versions of the PSP to fall back on
    Most recently the PSP Firmware for VITA, 3.50 had caused sluggish controls/freezes, in many games and possible in the interface. That was fixed with the following firmware update from sony. Not all users were affected, only certain users. The same happens for a number of FAT or SLIM psp's when going past the CFW 5x.xx versions. Not all, its been a while since I've experimented with the 6x.xx version of firmwares for my psp.

Off the top of my head I believe, firmware 6.20, cfw or ofw, came close to bricking my psp. You need at least firmware 6.37 to run the PSN PS1 games, possibly indicating the PS1 emulator may of had issues with earlier versions of the 6x.xx firmware, just a guess. After sticking with 5x.xx firmware for a while, never felt the need to upgrade.

For the Psp Go and the Psp 3000, I don't have enough experience to recommend a minimum stable firmware if not the newest firmware (since they offer nothing over the psp fat or slim, fail the need to see a purchase for a higher priced item of the same make). But if someone has a recommendation, maybe its not the latest firmware?

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Temporary link to some decrypted and version patched eboot files, it will expire in 48 hours (all the games are usa except the ones indicated as europe, or with translation version numbers following the name), waiting to get a few more games to finish the compatibility list i started mostly for rpgs. the OP can just nab that if he doesn't want to update or disclose his firmware version, and attempt to get Star Wars game working.
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 12th-October-2015 at 17:05.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

6.60 is all you need and contains all the previous updates including bug fixes implemented and is considered stable and has been the last PSP firmware for some time with no new updates created for almost 4 years since

6.61 was released as an exploit stop but there is cfw for that also asides from that though it's no different to 6.60. was just released this year I think it was, kinda old news now though

no games require 6.61

CFW on 6.00 is very much hassle free as far as installation goes no real tricks needed

any OFW or CFW can brick up if the battery runs out during install and you are advised to keep the console on charge while updating with a good amount of charge on the battery to start with this can also cause more unrecoverable sectors in the nand (get too many and there will not be enough space to install newer versions of the official firmware, it will appear to install but will have issues [That is a user fault not the firmware or the hardware unless the hardware had issues to start with i.e. had too many bad sectors to begin with]), this does include 5.50 and under, also best not to mess with the nand files directly especially if you don't own a 1k or 2k that can be recovered via a pandora/battery tool or hacked battery or other battery convert to restore the system to an older firmware or even directly to another CFW if setup correctly

Both of my PSP's never had issues they are not special releases or anything the only thing that might make them different is both are white (no different to the black version) but both had been acquired close to the release of them, I waited a little longer for the slim though, but both are the common released hardware versions so no revised versions on my end as I know there are a few that have slightly different hardware in the 2k range mostly.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-October-2015 at 19:03.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

6.60 is all you need and contains all the previous updates including bug fixes implemented and is considered stable and has been the last PSP firmware for some time with no new updates created for almost 4 years since

6.61 was released as an exploit stop but there is cfw for that also asides from that though it's no different to 6.60. was just released this year I think it was, kinda old news now though

no games require 6.61

CFW on 6.00 is very much hassle free as far as installation goes no real tricks needed
    I just recently began to use "Isotool" again. The last time I used the program it was at version 1.75, about 3 to 4 years ago, now its at version 1.981. It now supports just about the whole PSP library for old and outdated firmware, just like the new stuff. So you can understand the excitement, not just for me but for many users. The Prometheus Patches work on all the PSP consoles that support psp games via cfw, so thats an amazing feat in itself.

Trying firmware is like trying on a new shoe, you will eventually select the one that gives you more of what you want, and less of what you don't want. This is exceedingly true for the original Fat and Slim psp's since, the cfw has changed the kinds of formats it uses for various updates for emulators and themes and such. 5.00 cfw versus 6.60 cfw, would probably be more appealing depending on the content you are looking for, or at, newer is not always better. Unfortunately, we can't always drag around the previous authors to get them to update their material everytime a new firmware update happens that changes all the formats and usable files, and file types, etc.

Both of my PSP's never had issues they are not special releases or anything the only thing that might make them different is both are white (no different to the black version) but both had been acquired close to the release of them, I waited a little longer for the slim though, but both are the common released hardware versions so no revised versions on my end as I know there are a few that have slightly different hardware in the 2k range mostly.
    Like choosing a white psp over a black psp, because you like the color white more. It is most like a matter of the people having experience with 5.00 cfw, simply deciding that this is what they want, and then deciding not to want less, in exchange for something more recent.

I completely Agree
    Last edited by psalmsamuel; 14th-October-2015 at 03:34.
    PS2 Tool Kit
    Download Links:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

FW takes effect of all sorts of things including how much you can store on the PSP memstick or PSone classics video options and controller options, as well as yes tweaks with PSP games, one of the reasons I jumped from 5.50 prome myself the cfw can add other features like UMD iso mounting and playing without the use of a UMD (includes media umd images aswell as games) or PSone classics without the hassle of setting up pops versions and setting up newer versions of pops including older versions if needed though most work just fine on 6.x that adds the nice video and controller customizations lacking in the older versions instead of just full and full wide you also get free scale either keeping aspect or not and for the controls you can change all the keys not just the triggers yeah an no patching needed mostly, there are still a few games with copy protection though

I don't honestly care but you are pushing something for the sake of it, like you like it or you have bad sectors (Users fault issue), rather than for any real reasons, the bricking that is spread through the internet is related to bad flashes because of power failure during install, even though there is clear warnings before flashing/updating and still a user issue not a firmware issue, as for your common issues I have not seen or heard of most of them, let alone be able to say ah that is so common I have read that many times.

End of the day the chances are, the outlined issue will have more to do with the storage device than the FW or the iso anyway, unless the iso is compressed in cso format then a simple de-compress back to iso might do the trick on it's own for slower memsticks that is still a storage device issue really as that is related to how fast the data is read

Myself I have apx 60GB of storage on my PSP via 2x 32GB micro SD's (both class (10) and speed tested to make sure) in a converter that is not only stores a lot but is also fast and a much cheaper option to Official Memstick pro duo's (As fast as the port can read cards, I can't see it exceeding newer official Sony Memstick pro's but the cards are actually faster anyway and faster than any Memstick Pro's I have used but there are newer ones now to what I have used in the past) [I also have a couple of 64GB cards but changed my mind I used those with a couple of other consoles one being my 3DS XL] (I don't have the limits per firmware version to hand myself but there is a list online that will tell you how much the limits are per firmware version, I just can't find it at the moment)

250GB I believe is the current max storage size you can use on the latest OFW (that is still bigger than 2x 128GB SD's as they are never that actual size more like 128000 bytes (may not have enough 0's but that is actually less than 128GB)) and the previous version as the latest does not really do anything extra that is without any extra CFW hacking anyway that allows more though not sure if there are any SD's that would go up as high as that anyway but there are mods to use a HDD if you thought that was a good idea for a portable device (anything up to 2TB, possibly higher though or even unlimited just limited to what is actually available)

Why 6.60...

6.60 is the first "universal" firmware version for all PSP models; PSP-1000, PSP-2000, PSP-3000, PSP-N1000 and PSP-E1000 series asides from it having all the previous features and does work fine on all those models providing they are in working order and flashing is not messed up by user errors that to be honest is really hard to do unless following instructions is an issue, like make sure PSP is charged and plugged in (I always make sure I have at least half a charge on any hand held console before firmware updating and make sure it is plugged in)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 14th-October-2015 at 08:25.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]