Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to run PSX on PSP, but corrupted data.

Thanks

Is there anyway to actually do native widescreen? Not just stretched?
    Last edited by Laserdust; 3rd-October-2015 at 13:51.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PSX does not have native widescreen so no

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    PSX does not have native widescreen so no
    Well looking at other emulators out there many do officer "native" widescreen so to speak. Not stretched, actual widescreen. Guess not here though.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdust View Post
    Well looking at other emulators out there many do officer "native" widescreen so to speak. Not stretched, actual widescreen. Guess not here though.
    Native is if its in the game options and does it "natively"

But since PSX was in the era before widescreen TVs you need to use a emulation hack.

Some games can pull it off like a 3D fighter while others like Resident Evil can not because of 3D objects and 2D backgrounds, give it a try to see how wonky it gets.

it only really works for fully 3D games.

Edit: here is two screenshots showing widescreen hacking - https://imgur.com/a/Bi5Rq
    Last edited by Warrior; 3rd-October-2015 at 17:01.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    Native is if its in the game options and does it "natively"

But since PSX was in the era before widescreen TVs you need to use a emulation hack.

Some games can pull it off like a 3D fighter while others like Resident Evil can not because of 3D objects and 2D backgrounds, give it a try to see how wonky it gets.

it only really works for fully 3D games.

Edit: here is two screenshots showing widescreen hacking - https://imgur.com/a/Bi5Rq
    Aware, just wondering if it's possible for PSPs "classic" emulator thingy. Or through POPS.

Also, side note, ePSXe and the plugins I used at least seemed to do RE2 widescreen just fine :l. Like, seriously, the background was still aligned with the character and all. Maybe that's just my memory messing with me but there was a reason why I so badly wanted to get ePSXe working, that being a big deal. Maybe it was just simply stretched, but I don't remember the characters being that.

Nonetheless, yes, I'm aware native isn't the right word but it's more of a "you get my point" thing .
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-October-2015 at 03:59. Reason: offensive language

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Aware, just wondering if it's possible for PSPs "classic" emulator thingy. Or through POPS.

Also, side note, ePSXe and the plugins I used at least seemed to do RE2 widescreen just fine :l. Like, seriously, the background was still aligned with the character and all. Maybe that's just my memory messing with me but there was a reason why I so badly wanted to get ePSXe working, that being a big deal. Maybe it was just simply stretched, but I don't remember the characters being that.

Nonetheless, yes, I'm aware native isn't the right word but it's more of a "you get my point" thing .
    I'm gonna try to describe this in detail as best I can.

Games like resident Evil use pictures as backgrounds and 3D models for characters/enemies/storage boxes/etc.

When you use the widescreen hack on them the background stretches since its not designed for widescreen and the 3D objects are aligned for widescreen so you get unaligned background and 3D objects.

You will walk into invisible walls, walk through corners, storage boxes will have the lid floating over halfway to the left/right in the air, etc.

if its stretched it will look OK, just everything will be slightly pudgy.

Also I understood you, I was just bein a lil snippy.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-October-2015 at 04:00. Reason: as above (only the quote was edited)
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Simple answer is still no

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    I'm gonna try to describe this in detail as best I can.

Games like resident Evil use pictures as backgrounds and 3D models for characters/enemies/storage boxes/etc.

When you use the widescreen hack on them the background stretches since its not designed for widescreen and the 3D objects are aligned for widescreen so you get unaligned background and 3D objects.

You will walk into invisible walls, walk through corners, storage boxes will have the lid floating over halfway to the left/right in the air, etc.

if its stretched it will look OK, just everything will be slightly pudgy.

Also I understood you, I was just bein a lil snippy.
    Alright, cool . Yeah I'm aware about that whole 2D vs 3D thing but ah well.

Thanks

Simple answer is still no
    Simple answer is still y u gotta b so ruuuude.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Simple answer is still y u gotta b so ruuuude.
    That is just a general response , no rudeness in that statement muchacho.

Did you get any progress on your issues?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What Warrior said.

No ill intent in the slightest

The best you can do though is overscan (cut off parts of the image) and move the screen around a bit without skewing the image (without changing it from 4:3 to 16:9) you may be able to get some games playable full widescreen, others will still have black left and right borders it depends on the game and where information/game play area is shown and what you can live without.

PSone Classics and PSX2PSP converts both use the exact same emulator known as POPs though and no 3D or 2D widescreen hacks are used not on the emulator end anyway, the best screen adjustments are via the later versions of POPs though older versions only have 3 options full 4:3 full 16:9 (but image gets skewed) and original that is slightly smaller than full 4:3 so slight black borders at the top and bottom as well as the sides
    Last edited by Zorlon; 4th-October-2015 at 16:39.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

What Warrior said.

No ill intent in the slightest

The best you can do though is overscan (cut off parts of the image) and move the screen around a bit without skewing the image (without changing it from 4:3 to 16:9) you may be able to get some games playable full widescreen, others will still have black left and right borders it depends on the game and where information/game play area is shown and what you can live without.

PSone Classics and PSX2PSP converts both use the exact same emulator known as POPs though and no 3D or 2D widescreen hacks are used not on the emulator end anyway, the best screen adjustments are via the later versions of POPs though older versions only have 3 options full 4:3 full 16:9 (but image gets skewed) and original that is slightly smaller than full 4:3 so slight black borders at the top and bottom as well as the sides
    Alright, sorry for being sensitive, but with the "kinda obvious" and "simple answer is still" it just feels like I'm a dumbass or something .

As for the widescreen, the custom adjustments I've made I'm quite content with honestly. I really appreciate all the help given! Now I finally have PSX games on my PSP, as well as an up to date CFW PSP .