Thread: How to transfer Save States to different Emulators

Thanks

Default How to transfer Save States to different Emulators

Hi Guys,

Basically.....

I have been playing FF9 and have gotten roughly half way through disk 2.
    When I try and enter a certain area the screen stays black, but the log comes up with 'Warning: ISOread Overflow' and will not go any further.
    I can see other people posting about this issue on google etc but cannot find any answers of how to solve it...

The file is saved on a 'state' and because its a cutscene of sorts, there is nothing I can possibly do in-game except wait for it to crash...

Is there any way to use the save state from Epsxe 1.7.0 on, PSXeven etc, or any other emulators?
    I have tried copy and pasting the ss file but it uses a different file format for each emulator and I cant figure out how to convert it (or if you even can).
    From what I have read about this issue, which is a lot!, this seems to be the best option in my opinion (if it is even possible).

To get it to work in general, I have tried multiple FF9 iso's/disk images for Epsxe, with no luck.
    I have messed around with the video/cd settings, no luck.
    Tried 'frameskipping' over it, no luck.
    I have also tried older versions of Epsxe, on which the save states actually do work, but they have the same error as 1.7.0 when entering the area.

Any ideas?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sadly you can not exchange save states, each emulator has its own code for save states and they are not interchangeable/convertible.

Its best to make normal saves often to avoid any save state complications.

If you want to learn how to use Mednafen for PSX emulation il teach you, it runs FF9 and 99.5% of PSX games perfectly.

only downside is its 100% accurate emulation for the most part so you will not be getting any shiny visuals like you do with epsxe/pcsx plugin based systems.
    It will look just like the real thing, it can be enhanced with various shaders to look a bit nicer but thats it.

I only use Mednafen through Retroarch since Mednafen is a commandline based emulator and even the best frontends for it are bad.

If you have a memory card save you can use it in mednafen and continue your game.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Aw, that is devastating...

I do have an actual save.... from when i STARTED disk 2.... which is miles away!

Could I use the card save with a different emu?
    If so, how would i go about it? just copy and paste?

Is Mednafen complicated to use then?
    because I dont really care about the visuals so much, and to be fair, i cant really see much difference when adjusting the Epsxe settings anyway...

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You can use a .mcr file with another emu yes.

Mednafen on its on aka Vanilla is very complicated and convoluted since it has no GUI.

Retroarch got mednafen and another PSX emu and turned them into libretro cores so using them is very easy, the other emu is PCSX ReARMed but its meant for ARM devices and not yet converted for general PC use.

yes its pretty much cut & paste but the .mcr has to be named to the way mednafen names .mcr files.

Just need to make a save in Retroarch/Mednafen PSX then replace that mcr with your old one.

I'm going to have to make a noob guide to help everyone use this since its time consuming to say it so frequently.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Load your save state and go find a save point so you don't have to go back to disc 2.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.