Thread: New to scene. xbox modded, looking for advice/emulators/previews/etc

Thanks
    EP Points

Default New to scene. xbox modded, looking for advice/emulators/previews/etc

Ex emulator user from way back when. Just decided to mod my original xbox for a project yesterday, mostly for the emulation. Looking for a good mame, nes, gen, and snes to start. right now running neogen25, nestopia2.0, and snes9box. All smooth so far, I chose those 3 for the look and layout mostly, like the preview images, etc (although the neogen runs way, way slower than the others scrolling through games, if someone has a better one).
    For mame, i tried final burn 1.13, liked it a lot, 1.20 didn't work, and coinops haven't tried yet (any experienced advice on which is better?).

I plan on slowly building a base of roms, images, carts, previews, etc. My big question as I'm new to this scene is how does one go about this? Obviously I tried to grab some big pre built packs (from newsgroups,torrents, here, etc), hit and miss, a lot of incomplete stuff or busted downloads. Seems like the mame stuff I can find a big pack for fbl or coinops, but the NES/GEN/SNES packs with images, previews, etc, seems hard to find. I plead ignorance here, don't know if this is a community no no to try and find others extras, or is there a nice community build up somewhere for these?

I certainly don't mind doing the hard work, the roms arn't hard to find, lil work getting the correct formats etc, but if the extras are already done super well somewhere that would be great obviously.

Few extra questions...
    If i someday build a pc for the same purpose is there any reason my database of roms/previews/etc couldnt be moved over from xbox(obv different emulators)?
    When I was FTPing, I noticed a group of roms wouldn't work each time, some research seems to be a char limit on xbox filenames, so big ones won't go. Is there a fix for this other than renaming all these myself?

Thanks all for reading, glad to be part of the community, if anyone still messes with these things that is

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?62260

Extra's very few excpt MAME is limited on the Xbox Coinops is MAME by the way though they did expand that to include other systems now and combines alot of other systems and other arcade emulators though I still prefer to do all those separately myself you can now use Coinops as a Dash though or just as another app if you wanted if I was to use it it would be as an app not a dash, I like XBMC myself anyway

There are other Arcade emulators though a couple of those target certain hardware (CPX3 [CPS3 game only a few exist anyway] ki-xxx [Killer Instinct 1 & 2] & DaphneX that plays Laser disc games) a few others are also multi machine emulators like FBA aka Final Burn Alpha, Kawa-X known as Kawaks on PC and Raine ports those will run a few games better than MAME can but don't target as many systems but for the sake of quality over quantity you are better off with those, though you can have both if you really wanted though they use different rom sets anyway

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?87071 is well worth reading to avoid certain issues the xbox has with both running games from HDD and with hitting the save limit bug that would prevent anything new to that xbox from running

For the other arcade ports you do need the correct roms otherwise no the games will not work, best to use an audit tool via PC first to verify roms/build rom sets correctly or just download the rom sets from our user uploads section of the forum http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?79829

Preview images don't seem to be shared that often now but packs can be found for Coinops
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-September-2015 at 07:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,220 Times in 1,445 Posts
    EP Points

final burn legends v1.20 and preview vids+marquees.
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...s-and-Marquees

mameoxtras + romset with screenshots.
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ght=mameoxtras

kawax and arcade romset(arcade emulator)
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...Arcade-Rom-set

cpx3 + romset
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...%28MOD-HACK%29

kixxx and romset (plays arcade killer instinct 1 and 2)
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...8NEW-UPDATE%29

xraine and romset(arcade emulator)
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...ARCADE-EMU%29*

NeoGensPlusGX v1b02 Public Beta(brand new megadrive/genesis emulator,port ofgens plus gx)
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...8new-update%29

Thanks
    EP Points

thanks everyone, never expected replies so fast. Working on trying coinops now, if it works well for everything I might just stop there. I do love the layout of fbl1.20, vids and everything, although I have about a 30% unable to load rom. Anything bigger/newer it seems, SFIIIs, metal slugs, etc seem to not load, whether in 480/720/1080, not sure why, memory maybe?

Thanks
    EP Points

streetfighter 3 needs the 128 mb ram upgrade to work on fbl but it plays fine with the cpx3 emulator on xbox.
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...%28MOD-HACK%29

all the metal slug games work fine for me on fbl on my xbox.

Thanks
    EP Points

so i was reading up on the metal slug, neo geo games not working. It says to change to the neogeo bios, but how do i do that for a game that wont load? (ive only found the bios menu by hitting r3 once the rom loaded, if it wont load how do i change bios? also what do your files for the slugs look like, i got all mine from the packs on here, but some said the type of file might need to be different for fbl. mine are all mslug.zip, mslug2.zip, etc

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

edit...

good Q actually and not a one I can answer off the top of my head, but will give it a go

though it should still load the rom it just will not do anything if you need to change the bios that I imagine you do after loading the rom rather than before

not sure about coin ops but most emulators if you hit X or Y instead of A I forget the exact key it will bring up a settings menu before the game is started
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-September-2015 at 19:05.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

crazy as it seems, dont think its possible ha. tried every button, every combo, nothing goes to settings unless you load rom first. white button adds to favorites it turns out, but no dice getting to settings or running any neo geo on fbl

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStu9 View Post
    so i was reading up on the metal slug, neo geo games not working. It says to change to the neogeo bios, but how do i do that for a game that wont load? (ive only found the bios menu by hitting r3 once the rom loaded, if it wont load how do i change bios? also what do your files for the slugs look like, i got all mine from the packs on here, but some said the type of file might need to be different for fbl. mine are all mslug.zip, mslug2.zip, etc
    if you have been downlaoding from different packs for fbl then no wonder your roms are not working.
    this is the full set for the newest version of final burn legends,just use that.
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...s-and-Marquees

if any of your metal slug games are loading then you will get a green screen appear,click down on the right thumbstick and that will bring up the ingame menu and change the bios to uni bios,then reset the game in the same options menu.
    or if your neogeo roms are not loading then it will be because you dont have the neogeo bios file,it goes in the roms folder.
    the bios file is called neogeo.zip.
    Last edited by fumanchu; 29th-September-2015 at 22:17.

Thanks
    EP Points

you make an excellent point sir, i have been downloading and compiling a list through all kinds of places. Starting over with the fbl roms, just redownloaded the 1.19,and 1.20 updated roms (full 1.18 set downloading now, much bigger), and even just the 20 or so the updates have, I can play everything, except the mslug2 that was in there. something about the neo geo games. Is it possible my xbox is an older model with less ram? don't know if they have multiple versions, but seems like anything past 1995ish has trouble

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All xbox's have less ram it's a hardware mod involving soldering an extra ram chip

The extra ram has nothing to do with neo-geo based games though

There are also tons of versions of the neo-geo bios, you need the exact version for that version of MAME or the other arcade emulators including the actual game dumps

Yup newer games are not going to work or not work well on the xbox

Don't know if I mentioned this or not but it is best to audit your roms and verify they are correct, MAME or Coinops is the hardest to do that with though as, as far as I know there is no dat file for it as it a hacked up version of MAME and not based on a single version

I do have a full set of the Final Burn Legends 1.12.4 beta Roms though verified by the dat

I will attach the bios rom from that set for you
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-September-2015 at 04:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I thought Debug Xbox consoles came with 128MB

Spoiler warning:

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No idea but that is not a retail xbox either, but more a developers tool

There is a free ram solder point though so that would follow, that some limited supply of bricks would have extra ram but no retail brick does unless it was fitted later and re-sold with the extra ram pre fitted

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]