Thread: Need help with BBC Micro!

Thanks

Default Need help with BBC Micro!

I'm trying to emulate the BBC Micro version of Donkey Kong Junior. I can boot up the game just fine, but inputs aren't working. I'm running a 32 bit Windows XP, tried the BeebEm and Modelb-dx8 emulators, there is a B-Em emulator but my PC won't allow me to download it due to it being a suspicious link.

In either emulator, I've managed to boot up other games and have no issue, but I'm just stuck at the title screen for DK Jr. I've tried hooking up a joypad, or messing around with the input keys for the emulated keyboard, but so far nothing I've tried has worked. Can anybody get this game up and running and tell me what my issue is? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Update:

Tried 2 more emulators, Horizon and JSBeeb, same result. Another individual managed to get the input working in MESS, but unfortunately the jump input would cause the game to freeze so it's still unplayable. I couldn't get it to boot in MESS at all, I have the BBC bios files in the right folder but I'm still getting the grey icon in the QMC Mess launcher, which means BBC functionality isn't operational.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I hope you are not just haphazardly looking for emulators on suspicious sites.

Always go to the authors site or a trusted source.

Zophar.net is a old trusted source on archiving emulators and if they are open source it will have a download for that too - http://www.zophar.net/bbcmicro.html
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

theres also this site: http://www.emulator-zone.com/

Thanks

Yes, thank you for the advice. Surprisingly it was the official site which I found rather odd, but B-Em is on Zophar's domain along with some others so I'll give them a shot.

Can't believe I forgot about both MESS and Zophar's domain, something is up XD I appreciate your help! I'll post an update in a bit

Thanks

That's the site I posted on with the individual who tried MESS which I completely forgot existed haha. Don't think they have any BBC Micro emulators though, but they do a great job with what they do cover

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sucks I couldn't help you.

Shame this excellent open source PC emulator does not cover the BBC Micro - http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/status.html
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Just finished up trying the other emulators, B-Em had the same issue. XBeeb needs an X server which I'm completely ignorant of, and pcBBC was giving me a startup issue. It would open the shut quickly when I tried to run it regularly. In DOSBox, it came to something like this:

Searching ROMIMG\*.* for ROM images...
    TUBE.ROM Tube parasite image loaded
    VIDEO.TBL Video tables loaded

FATAL ERROR: No operating system image found
    BC Rules, OK!

This is actually the first issue I had with DOSBox, everything else loaded up fine. The other emulators I didn't try were DOS based but didn't seem to be too far in development and are limited in features so I didn't try them, from what I understand they have the basic OS code but weren't really programmed to run games and all that jazz. Regardless I'm not walking away empty handed thanks to that PC emulator you linked, much appreciated, I have a feeling I'm gonna need that in the future haha