Thread: PS1 games not working!

Thanks

Unhappy PS1 games not working!

Okay, here's the deal: I've been emulating some PS1 here and there with no problems to speak of, it's been working with flying colors and it's been extremely enjoyable, other than a few random issues that randomly solved themselves such as framelimit not working etc., well, after a month or two I decided to play Resident Evil 2 and some other classics that I haven't played, so I launch Windows, go into my PS1 folder, launch ePSXe, and run the iso.

Nothing happens.

Just a black screen with absolutely nothing happening.

Okay, so I head into my video and audio settings, change the plugins and what not and nothing really seems to fix it, it's just the exact same thing. Well, guess I'll redownload ePSXe.

Still doesn't work.

So I decide to reinstall my graphics driver: and you guessed it.

Doesn't work.

Well, fuck, how about downloading some new isos? Maybe that was the issue all along? And once again, it wasn't. Still doesn't work. Well, this time Silent Hill actually went into the splash screen or whatever that disclaims the content but then it just freezes too.

So I try the one game that I have save states on: Metal Gear Solid. So I go into one of the save states that is in the middle of one of the cutscenes, and the camera moves backwards slightly as it's supposed to, then stops, then, wait, everything stops? Like, everything such as the graphical effects such as the snow and explosions are still happening, but it's like the coding has just come to a halt, nothing happens. So I try another one that is mid game. The one thing that has a graphical effect in this save state is the soliton radar, my little dot there is blinking, and nothing else. Nothing else is happening, can't control anything at all.

And so here I am, completely lost. Very literally completely. I've had some odd issues with a game, that being MW2. The launcher says that it couldn't specify an audio device or something (also mentioning DirectX in there), then after some time I tried launching it again and then it says fatal error, almost as if it crumbled down into a worse and worse mess by itself somehow. Counter Strike, I have to wait for five seconds for some reason suddenly with the Motds at the exact same time as the MW2 issue showed up. Just some random issues that cropped up at the same time that might have to do with my computer, and as such, the emulation? Look, I have no idea, this is a painful mess really that I have no idea how to deal with right now.

Thanks
    EP Points

please post you're system specs, which plugins you were using and the settings for said plugins.

http://ns348841.ip-91-121-109.eu/psx...sc-u_list.html could try the settings shown there though come to think of it, i think those might be outdated now at sepsxe is at 1.9.25 (or have i missed an update?).

also, don't know what you're referring to by MW2 (call of duty: modern warfare 2? if so then that obviously wouldn't work on this emulator or if that's a pc related problem then it probably goes in that sub-forum).

Thanks

Nvidia GeForce 9400m
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz
    2GB RAM
    Windows 7.

Pete's D3D DX6 Driver 1.77
    PEops Audio Driver 1.10

Also, the referral to MW2 was merely me brainstorming if it could have to do with my computer, that also affects and causes the issues I have with emulation and ePSXe.

Appreciate the response!

Thanks
    EP Points

i'd say its more a issue with the plugins as i think you're system could run it without any real problems (psx isn't too resource intensive).

on the audio plugin, leaving it set to the default ePSXe PSU core plugin is usually fine and poses no problems in general.

since the problem seems to be a black screen and nothing more (you didn't say anything about the in-game audio), maybe try a different video plugin and see if that helps. could simply be that that particular video plugin doesn't work well with that game.

as for MW2, that sounds like you may or may not meet the system requirements or something...or theres an incompatibility somewhere but that shouldn't affect you're emulation at all since it's a pc game and not related to the emulator in question at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    i'd say its more a issue with the plugins as i think you're system could run it without any real problems (psx isn't too resource intensive).

on the audio plugin, leaving it set to the default ePSXe PSU core plugin is usually fine and poses no problems in general.

since the problem seems to be a black screen and nothing more (you didn't say anything about the in-game audio), maybe try a different video plugin and see if that helps. could simply be that that particular video plugin doesn't work well with that game.

as for MW2, that sounds like you may or may not meet the system requirements or something...or theres an incompatibility somewhere but that shouldn't affect you're emulation at all since it's a pc game and not related to the emulator in question at all.
    Tried it all out, every single one I got, none work. Still just a black screen (and no audio, it's just frozen simply, not the application, the emulation). I'm actually really sure it's the system at this point, or maybe a fucked registry file for EPSXE, any ideas? Also, tried the BIOS and it works at least.
    Last edited by Laserdust; 25th-September-2015 at 21:11.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All I can say is ditch epsxe and use a better emulator for playstation.

Mednafen psx through retroarch is the most accurate with no bullcocky, the other PCSX ReARMed is being recoded to work on non ARM hardware.

if you need help il be glad to help you set it up and be rid of epsxe.

BTW, you check the cue of the image you are trying to run?

Open it up in a text editor and see if it matches the bin.
    Last edited by Warrior; 25th-September-2015 at 21:21.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
    All I can say is ditch epsxe and use a better emulator for playstation.

Mednafen psx through retroarch is the most accurate with no bullcocky, the other PCSX ReARMed is being recoded to work on non ARM hardware.

if you need help il be glad to help you set it up and be rid of epsxe.

BTW, you check the cue of the image you are trying to run?

Open it up in a text editor and see if it matches the bin.
    Thanks so much for the response! I'd really appreciate the help to set one up please, long as you don't mind .

Thanks
    EP Points

hey, zorlon, maybe you could figure this one out. tried my usual choice of video plugin and my alternative one i use for specific games (like when i had to change plugins for legacy of kain and misadventures of tron bonne) but nothing i can think of seems to help.

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,773 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdust View Post
    Thanks so much for the response! I'd really appreciate the help to set one up please, long as you don't mind .
    I don't mind helping at all.

first off you have directx redist installed?

That helps with alot of things game related it seems.

you on win 7 64 bit right?

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...61#post1826961

That should help, grab this file - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly...roArch_full.7z

if on 32 bit grab grab it off of the buildbot, that is for 64 bit windows.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.