Thread: Sound problems running games on ePSXe 1.9.25

Thanks

Default Sound problems running games on ePSXe 1.9.25

Hello everyone. This is essentially my first post. Beforehand, I apologize for my amateur nature. Also I apologize for any spelling mistake. English is not my native language, although I can assure you my spoken english is better than my writen english.

Anyways, going to the problem itself:

I have installed ePSXe 1.9.25, the best Playstation Emulator, so I hear. Excited as I was, I got hold of Policenauts (Undub version, which I had to search around the web to find). Well, at first tries, the sound was horrid, slowed down and stuttering. I went on to fix it several times, but the best I've got was a clearer, yet still stuttering sound. It stuttered at a slower pace, yet it remains unbearable. I tried another game (Martian Gothic Unification) and the problem remains.

My System specs:

Computer: Toshiba Satellite L-40 (Yeah, it's old)
    Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU T2330 1.60 Ghtz
    RAM Memory: 2,00 GB
    Graphics Board: I can only speculate here. The data is not available to me. Perhaps there is no dedicated memory. But I believe I have at least 128 MB at my disposal.

Can anyone help me? All help, even failled help, is appreciated and thanked for.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Please let us know what sound plugin you are using and how the plugin is configured, and the same information for video plugin and settings. Screenshots are good.

To find graphics info in windows you can open Start menu and type DXDIAG, press Enter, look at the second page. I do not know if it is same DXDIAG in your language.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Graphics is probably Intel integrated. Possibly X3100 but not sure because there are several L40 variants (I'm guessing X3100 because I looked up L40 with T2330 CPU).

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

My netbook was very similar, Intel Atom 4 cores @ 1.6GHz and RAM 1GB. I was able to run ePSXe well with low settings, so I think with 2 cores and more RAM he can probably get good results with the right settings

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

dxdiag would tell you what your graphics is as well as the rest of the system specs, you can get to that from the pressing the windows key then in the text box there just type dxdiag and tap enter

P.S. you may be able to update to windows 10 for free by the way http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo...%2010%20update

As for the Q try the software plugin P.E.Op.S Soft driver instead of Direct 3D or OpenGL you have a very low end system that will struggle with the more advanced plugins

But for OpenGl or Direct 3D try using the Fast Option that will give you the lower end specs for those plugins

It sounds like it's a speed issue rather than an actual sound plugin issue

P.S.S. the reason you found it hard to find an un-dub of the game is because it was never released in english to start with so was never dubbed in english (never had english voices) to be un-dubbed to Japanese but the games text was translated to english some time ago now
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-September-2015 at 14:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    P.S. you may be able to update to windows 10 for free by the way http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo...%2010%20update
    Nobody should ever, under any circumstance, upgrade to windows 10. The entire thing is a corporate data steal, which is why they are giving it away. In fact M$ is adding some of the tracking features inherent in Windows 10 to 7 and 8 through auto updates. It is time to get entirely away from MS and Windows for your own safety and security.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    Please let us know what sound plugin you are using and how the plugin is configured, and the same information for video plugin and settings. Screenshots are good.

To find graphics info in windows you can open Start menu and type DXDIAG, press Enter, look at the second page. I do not know if it is same DXDIAG in your language.
    Just used DirectX right now:

Graphics Board: Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
    Memory: 358 MB (Probably not dedicated)
    The Sound Plug-Ins I have at my disposal are:

-ePSXe SPU core 1.9.0 (Doesn't allow for configurations)

-Eternal SPU Plugin 1.50 - With the following configurations:
    Audio Device: DirectSound Buffer Size: 40
    Audio Out Method: SPUasync Async Mode: Simple
    Special Game Fix: None of the options is on.
    Misc: Wait for XA buffer is free - On Other two options: Off Fine Tune: 0 Reverb: Neill's)

-P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9
    General Settings: Mode: 0 Volume: 1 Reverd: 2 Interpolatin: 2
    XA Music: Enable XA playing: On Change XA Speed, if it is played too fast: Off
    Misc: SPU IRQ - handle irqs in decoded sound buffer areas: On Everything Else: Off)

-P.E.Op.S. Sound Audio Driver 1.10
    General Settings: Driver: 0 Mode: 0 Volume: 3 Reverb: 2 Interpolation: 2 Emulator: 0
    XA music: Enable XA playing: On Change XA Speed, if it is played too fast: Off
    Misc: Nothing on)

Video Plugin:
    -Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9 - With the following settings:
    Resolution & Colors: Window Mode: On Desktop Resolution and Window Size: Same, at 640 x 480. ColorDepth: 16-bit InternalX Resolution, InternalY Resolution, Stretching Mode and Render Mode are all at 1.
    Textures: All 0.
    Framerate: Only thing active is FPS Limit, at 200.00 FPS.
    Compatibility: All 0.
    Full Screen Filter: Nothing On.
    Misc: Nothing On.

Sorry I couldn't get screenshots. I'm such a newbie, I don't even know how to. Again I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Graphics is probably Intel integrated. Possibly X3100 but not sure because there are several L40 variants (I'm guessing X3100 because I looked up L40 with T2330 CPU).
    Yes, Intel Integrated. Just checked through DirectX.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-September-2015 at 03:44.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Like I said your machine is just too low spec, for OpenGL or Direct 3D unless you set those to Fast OpenGL2 will almost certainly be too high end though

For low spec machines you need to be using a software plugin or OpenGL/Direct 3D with Fast settings

For FPS you want...

FPS Limit on
    Plus either auto enabled or manually set the FPS, for now set auto on as you have not told us what region the game is that you are wanting play

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

dxdiag would tell you what your graphics is as well as the rest of the system specs, you can get to that from the pressing the windows key then in the text box there just type dxdiag and tap enter

As for the Q try the software plugin P.E.Op.S Soft driver instead of Direct 3D or OpenGL you have a very low end system that will struggle with the more advanced plugins

But for OpenGl or Direct 3D try using the Fast Option that will give you the lower end specs for those plugins

It sounds like it's a speed issue rather than an actual sound plugin issue

P.S.S. the reason you found it hard to find an un-dub of the game is because it was never released in english to start with so was never dubbed in english (never had english voices) to be un-dubbed to Japanese but the games text was translated to english some time ago now
    It works. Sound is working fluidly, with exception of the sound gaps every now and then.

Now I need to solve the reason why the first playable scene is a black screen.

That would explain why it took me a while. I will make better research on my target games next time around.

Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    My netbook was very similar, Intel Atom 4 cores @ 1.6GHz and RAM 1GB. I was able to run ePSXe well with low settings, so I think with 2 cores and more RAM he can probably get good results with the right settings
    I'll see what I can do on that front then. Thank you.

Like I said your machine is just too low spec, for OpenGL or Direct 3D unless you set those to Fast OpenGL2 will almost certainly be too high end though

For low spec machines you need to be using a software plugin or OpenGL/Direct 3D with Fast settings

For FPS you want...

FPS Limit on
    Plus either auto enabled or manually set the FPS, for now set auto on as you have not told us what region the game is that you are wanting play
    Put on Fast Mode. Finally working. No bumps, no nothing. The only thing I need to check now is the gameplay itself.

Most likely, this is a North American release, having in consideration what I have learned earlier.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-September-2015 at 03:45.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Sound Plugin ePSXe SPU core for sound (Should be fine for most games)
    FPS wants to be 63 for smooth play (change 200 to 63 and make sure it is selected, this is best for NTSC video games North America (U) and Japan (J)) [PAL (E) = 53]
    CD Plugin P.E.Op.S. CDR Driver 1.4 (Use default one normally but this game works best with that plugin)

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]