Thread: Basic Emulator Question

Thanks

Default Basic Emulator Question

I apologize for asking what must be a really dumb question. But I'm completely confused and don't know where to begin. I read the FAQs and watched the video on "how to play this game" but I still have questions.

I want to play Oids on my Windows Vista machine.

That page has a link for the direct download "Oids (1987)(FTL) (276K)" and the operating system "TOS 1.02 and 2.06 (United States) [230K]". If I am understanding correctly, these are the ROM and OS respectively.

The ROM is an .stx file and the OS consists of two .img files. I don't know which of the two .img files I need and none of these are executable, so obviously I need something else.

I looked under Emulators but can't seem to find one for "Atari ST". I downloaded "Atari 5200" and it does have an executable, but it doesn't seem to be what I need.

I *think* all I need is the correct emulator, but as I'm new to this, any help would be appreciated!

Could someone please help me out?
    Last edited by melissa22; 8th-September-2015 at 00:16. Reason: fix link

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You have 2 choices, Hatari or Hatari coreran through Retroarch.

http://hatari.tuxfamily.org/

http://www.libretro.com/

I never emulated the system so I don't know much else.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

Thank you!

I downloaded hatari and managed to get oids to load. it crashed during the splash screen but at least it loaded. The hatari docs state that the tos that ships with it is buggy, so hopefully once i figure out how to load the tos from emuparadise instead hopefully everything will work.

I'm much closer now!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Glad I could help you somewhat, wish I knew more .

Well look for the No-intro and TOSEC romsets for Atari ST, those should prove useful.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks

I used the TOS 1.02 downloaded from the Oids page (linked in top post) and it worked great! Thanks again for the heads up on the hatari emulator. That did the trick. I am so happy to finally have my favorite game playable on a PC !!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by melissa22 View Post
    I used the TOS 1.02 downloaded from the Oids page (linked in top post) and it worked great! Thanks again for the heads up on the hatari emulator. That did the trick. I am so happy to finally have my favorite game playable on a PC !!!
    That's great!