View RSS Feed

Miniature Giant Space Hamsters

Piracy: A Crime?!

Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
4. use of copyrighted material without permission: the taking and using of copyrighted or patented material without authorization or without the legal right to do so

No... freaking.... way !

Updated 28th-April-2011 at 03:46 by Colonel Guile

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Kermit Da Frog's Avatar
    NONSENSE COMMENTS!
  2. Raype's Avatar
    WHY YES, IT VERY MUCH IS THE CASE. YOU CAN TELL BECAUSE A QUICK GOOGLE SEARCH WILL LEAD YOU TO THIS INFORMATION.

    WHY AM I TYPING IN CAPS?
  3. Colonel Guile's Avatar
    YOU'RE WRONG!
  4. Kermit Da Frog's Avatar
    YOU'RE PART IVOLT?
  5. Colonel Guile's Avatar
    IT'S ALL WRONG UNLESS THIS BLOG POST GETS 56 COMMENTS.
  6. Colamisu's Avatar
    So, does this apply to trademarks too? Because I totally read a magazine that mentioned Mario without getting written consent from Nintendo.

    Wait, I just did, too.

    Shit.
  7. Supreme Warrior's Avatar
  8. Colonel Guile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colamisu
    So, does this apply to trademarks too? Because I totally read a magazine that mentioned Mario without getting written consent from Nintendo.

    Wait, I just did, too.

    Shit.
    I've already alerted Nintendo of your treachery.

  9. deadlegion's Avatar
    *makes note*
  10. Mistral's Avatar
    Argumentum ad Populum. You argue that software piracy is theft as the word "theft" includes as a subset this particular definition, but dictionaries by nature identify meanings for words from vernacular convention, which is to say, common usage. Therefore, it is only defined as theft because an arbitrary and ill-defined "people" or "society" has reached the "consensus" that "theft" "includes" and "encompasses" software "piracy". Your argument is therefore flawed, and therefore, software piracy is not a crime.
    Updated 29th-April-2011 at 00:45 by Mistral
  11. Raype's Avatar
    BIG WORDS CONFUSE ME. CAN'T WE JUST EXPLAIN IT USING GRUNTS?
  12. Colamisu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral
    Argumentum ad Populum. You argue that software piracy is theft as the word "theft" includes as a subset this particular definition, but dictionaries by nature identify meanings for words from vernacular convention, which is to say, common usage. Therefore, it is only defined as theft because an arbitrary and ill-defined "people" or "society" has reached the "consensus" that "theft" "includes" and "encompasses" software "piracy". Your argument is therefore flawed, and therefore, software piracy is not a crime.
    So basically, you're saying piracy is stealing, right?

    If not, I'm not particularly interested in your opinion.
  13. Nick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral
    Argumentum ad Populum. You argue that software piracy is theft as the word "theft" includes as a subset this particular definition, but dictionaries by nature identify meanings for words from vernacular convention, which is to say, common usage. Therefore, it is only defined as theft because an arbitrary and ill-defined "people" or "society" has reached the "consensus" that "theft" "includes" and "encompasses" software "piracy". Your argument is therefore flawed, and therefore, software piracy is not a crime.
    From what I think I read there. I'm guessing what ur trying to say is, It's not stealing because you are copying it and you are not physically taking it? Well just so you know. Stealing is seen as a crime. Stealing has categories as well. You wont get much detail from a dictionary about the law you know. I guess a better option would be a law book . But if you suggest it's not stealing because you are copying it and you are not physically taking it... It's pretty stupid. Because I don't know if you are familiar with the term "Identity theft"? It's strangely pretty similar in concept. You don't physically take said persons identity from him. You copy it and use it as your own for your own personal gain. It's still seen as theft(among other things) and a crime. (P.s. Use English next time. Don't try and confuse us with the "big words")

    It's a crime... But who cares anyway!

    Peace
    Updated 29th-April-2011 at 12:47 by Nick
  14. Raype's Avatar
    Guys guys guys, if I take a book from the library and then create a perfect copy by copying it, I'm praised for my ability to transcribe.

    If I take one type of plant and create an entire field of plants from it, I'm complimented as a great gardener.

    If I take a sheep and clone a flock from it, I'm a renowned scientist.

    But if I do it with games, I'm a criminal.

    Where's the justice?
  15. Nick's Avatar
    Lol... sorry.. I'm slow.
    Updated 3rd-May-2011 at 10:35 by Nick
  16. Mistral's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    From what I think I read there. I'm guessing what ur trying to say is, It's not stealing because you are copying it and you are not physically taking it? Well just so you know. Stealing is seen as a crime. Stealing has categories as well. You wont get much detail from a dictionary about the law you know. I guess a better option would be a law book . But if you suggest it's not stealing because you are copying it and you are not physically taking it... It's pretty stupid. Because I don't know if you are familiar with the term "Identity theft"? It's strangely pretty similar in concept. You don't physically take said persons identity from him. You copy it and use it as your own for your own personal gain. It's still seen as theft(among other things) and a crime. (P.s. Use English next time. Don't try and confuse us with the "big words")

    It's a crime... But who cares anyway!

    Peace
    Ajokesayswhat?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raype
    Guys guys guys, if I take a book from the library and then create a perfect copy by copying it, I'm praised for my ability to transcribe.

    If I take one type of plant and create an entire field of plants from it, I'm complimented as a great gardener.

    If I take a sheep and clone a flock from it, I'm a renowned scientist.

    But if I do it with games, I'm a criminal.

    Where's the justice?
    And you missed the joke here. At least for the first two: illegal copies of books being redistributed was the primary motivation behind copyright being instituted in the first place, and genetically engineered plants can be legally copyrighted and are frequently designed to be nonviable as seed stock (i.e. can't grow new ones from what you plant; you have to buy new seed from the company). The nonviable seed stock isn't just to protect genetic information, either; multiple lawsuits have been filed at the past from farmers with conventional or organic crops (which I still think is a pretty silly term) upset at potential or actual cross-pollination between their non-GM crops and GM crops on nearby farms.
  17. Nick's Avatar
    Soooooo basically pirating is stealing? Right?
  18. Mistral's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Soooooo basically pirating is stealing? Right?
    There, there.
    *pats on head*
    Yes, it is. At least, as far as I am concerned. Hence my posts to that effect in the other blog post that was being joking about with this one.
  19. Nick's Avatar
    Whooo! Do I get a prize?
  20. Mistral's Avatar
    Sure.
    *rummage*
    Ummm, here. You can have one happy QB.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
About Us

We are the oldest retro gaming forum on the internet. The goal of our community is the complete preservation of all retro video games. Started in 2001 as EmuParadise Forums, our community has grown over the past 18 years into one of the biggest gaming platforms on the internet.

Social