Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vagrant Story

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SpuzzHardwick View Post
    Is that bigger than most Psx image files? And if so why do you think that is?

If youre gonna be playing it too, keep me posted on where you're at in the game. I'm finding it to be pretty tough.
    Nah, that's actually very small, even for an archived image file. Decompressed it's actually 781mb, guess it just compresses really well

In any case I'll probably start playing this tonight & get back to you guys on the difficulty tomorrow.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

It's because almost all of the music is chip-based, there's no voice acting, and all the cutscenes bar the short opening movie are engine-driven. Streaming audio / video tends to be what makes most Playstation games compress so badly. The less of that they have, the smaller they tend to be.

On a side note, the Japanese version of Brave Story on the PSP compresses very well for similar reasons. I think it's only about 150MB as a .cso despite being one of the prettier RPGs on the console.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Elin likes it.

I have to play it now.

Thanks
    EP Points

Grabbing it myself right now too.

Once again I can't remember if I played it on the system back when, guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Weak points:
    Legend of Dragoon-like combo system(copying such a weak game was a bad move.)
    Replay value. Once you've been through the game once to 100%, it's absolutely agonizing to play again. Note: You have to be on your second playthrough or later to get 100%.
    Player puts out LOW numbers. Even once you understand the monster-type/Element affinities, you won't hit as hard as the enemies, and enemies can only have crippled Legs

Strong Points:
    Combo system is so much deeper than LoD, including healing and status-curing abilities.
    Great Puzzles.
    Quick menus for magic, items, etc.

The story is good, very engrossing the first time. The fight system is unique, somewhat turn-based, somewhat ATB. The varied chance to hit and damage based on location add depth that really wasn't necessary for any but the largest enemies. And by the time you cripple an enemies' legs, they are close enough to dead that it's almost pointless to try. Better to just finish them off.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Legend of Dragoon? Weak?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I couldn't play it for 10 minutes. After having played Square RPGs, LoD just wasn't interesting. It's personal preference.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    I couldn't play it for 10 minutes. After having played Square RPGs, LoD just wasn't interesting. It's personal preference.
    I loved it myself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wyrm For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Weak points:
    Legend of Dragoon-like combo system([b]copying such a weak game was a bad move.[b])
    Im seriously gonna have to disagree with you hating on LoD like that

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Definitely wasn't one of my favourites. Average gameplay, weaaaaaaak plot. Part of the problem might be that I tried to get into it after going through Chrono Cross.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsco View Post
    Definitely wasn't one of my favourites. Average gameplay, weaaaaaaak plot. Part of the problem might be that I tried to get into it after going through Chrono Cross.
    Chrono Cross has better production value (for its time) than most games ever so that does not surprise me that LoD paled in comparison.

Good to see my thread is getting lots of people like me who haven't played Vagrant Story yet it to give it a chance. It's a great game!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Good to see my thread is getting lots of people like me who haven't played Vagrant Story yet it to give it a chance. It's a great game!
    YES! Absolutely loved it the first time. The New Game+ was good because I had read up on how to max out your weapon.
    What really killed it for me after that: affinities. At times it seems like you spend more time re-equipping for each fight than you spend beating the enemies down.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I just got to the Golem boss. How far into it would you say I am?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
    Elin likes it.

I have to play it now.
    You haven't played it? Shock! Definitely give it a go~

I just got to the Golem boss. How far into it would you say I am?
    That's still within the first major dungeon, as far as I remember. So not very far at all. :'D It's a fairly long game, especially for an action-RPG.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    That's still within the first major dungeon, as far as I remember. So not very far at all. :'D It's a fairly long game, especially for an action-RPG.
    Oh cool! I read some review somewhere that said one of its cons was that it was short. Shows that they know.