Thread: Will a PS2 card to USB adapter allow me to install Free Mcboot without swap trick?

Thanks

Default Will a PS2 card to USB adapter allow me to install Free Mcboot without swap trick?

Hey there guys, I have a bit of a question to ask and I tried looking at the Mcboot site with not a clear answer to the question. I spotted a adapter that allows you to plug your PS2 memory card into your PC via USB. There were no answers if it acted like a hard drive when using the adapter, but I was wondering if I could install Mcboot on a PS2 memory card using this method instead of a swap magic trick or sending it off to somebody I don't know.

The closet thing I found was a Memor32 install guide, but it requires you use a modded PS2 card from the makers of Memor32, not just a simple PS2 to USB adapter. A detailed answer as to why it can or cannot work will be helpful. Thank you for your time and I hope any one of you can provide the answer I'm seeking.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

The only usb adaptor for ps2 cards I know of is for ps3.
    It won't work on pc afaik, because there aren't any drivers.

It's been a while since I looked at this kind of thing, so maybe I'm wrong

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

*activates Shard signal*

Also Nemo, you know us.

Thanks
    EP Points

nemo are you from europe? if so send us your memory card and ill install it for you
    also i get why your cautious but you have nothing to worry about, all your details will be kept private
    *Computer Specs*
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.1GHz
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 8GB GDDR5

If You Find My Help Useful In Any Way Please Click Thanks.
    Bennieboi's Question Of The Day (now defunct)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

SharkPort is the only thing I can think of. I've never used it though.

The easiest method, in my opinion, is to use a Gameshark, a PSOne game, and a flash drive.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 30th-May-2012 at 22:16.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bennieboi20 View Post
    nemo are you from europe? if so send us your memory card and ill install it for you
    also i get why your cautious but you have nothing to worry about, all your details will be kept private
    I'm an Amurikan living in the of land of the red, white, and blue (which makes me wonder, who copied who first, France or the U.S.?)
    Trust isn't the problem, I would also like to use the adapter for it's intended purpose (transfer saves for storage) on top of being able to install Free Mcboot. Ideally it was a thought of icing on the cake, which most of my ideas involve low expectations with a potential bonus (aka, using the A4-3400 as my new computer with the potential for playing a PS2 emulator. Thanks to that third core hack, the A6-3600 would have been a better option since the graphics card isn't powerful enough to play most of my personal collection and an extra two cores for the same wattage would have been sweet. Will probably buy that as an upgrade down the road if the FM2 aren't a better choice).

Tangent aside, I was hoping for some confirmation on this thing. If not, oh well, but it would be awesome to do that so I can return the favor and do the same for others. It would certainly make converting memory cards a lot faster with less hassle if this option was possible.

Thanks
    EP Points

According to This, I would assume the answer is 'no'.

Free McBoot MUST be installed to a Memory Card and can not be copied off another. A copy will only work on the MC it was installed on.
    EDIT:
    I know it's computer to MC and not MC to MC, but, like ^this^ implies, installing FMCB is not just a simple transfer of files (formatting the MC, signing DVDELF, etc.) so you actually have to run the installer.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 31st-May-2012 at 04:37.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks

I understand the bit about not being able to copy and paste, I was more curious about installing it via my PC. As in, having a PC program that can run .elf files and install it on my memory card in the same way people can install linux OS on their flash drive. I was thinking more along the line of that. Still, it doesn't seem like it's going to work if nobody thinks it can. I'll give it a few more days before closing the thread if anybody else doesn't think it is possible. Thanks for the help so far.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    I'm an Amurikan living in the of land of the red, white, and blue (which makes me wonder, who copied who first, France or the U.S.?)
    Trust isn't the problem, I would also like to use the adapter for it's intended purpose (transfer saves for storage) on top of being able to install Free Mcboot. Ideally it was a thought of icing on the cake, which most of my ideas involve low expectations with a potential bonus (aka, using the A4-3400 as my new computer with the potential for playing a PS2 emulator. Thanks to that third core hack, the A6-3600 would have been a better option since the graphics card isn't powerful enough to play most of my personal collection and an extra two cores for the same wattage would have been sweet. Will probably buy that as an upgrade down the road if the FM2 aren't a better choice).

Tangent aside, I was hoping for some confirmation on this thing. If not, oh well, but it would be awesome to do that so I can return the favor and do the same for others. It would certainly make converting memory cards a lot faster with less hassle if this option was possible.
    You can copy saves to and from with uLaunch once you've got FMCB installed, you just need a flash drive.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    I understand the bit about not being able to copy and paste, I was more curious about installing it via my PC. As in, having a PC program that can run .elf files and install it on my memory card in the same way people can install linux OS on their flash drive. I was thinking more along the line of that. Still, it doesn't seem like it's going to work if nobody thinks it can. I'll give it a few more days before closing the thread if anybody else doesn't think it is possible. Thanks for the help so far.
    I say no as well. If you tried to emulate a hacked copy of 007 like the normal way, then it would load a file directory of the USB devices connected to the emulated PS2. Unfortunately, this would be none becuase they are in your PC, not PS2. And even if you got that step figured out, you would have to somehow set up your physical mem card as an emulated one...FreeMcBoot is very specific to the mem card hardware and can therefore not be copied and pasted from one to the next.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    I say no as well. If you tried to emulate a hacked copy of 007 like the normal way, then it would load a file directory of the USB devices connected to the emulated PS2. Unfortunately, this would be none becuase they are in your PC, not PS2. And even if you got that step figured out, you would have to somehow set up your physical mem card as an emulated one...FreeMcBoot is very specific to the mem card hardware and can therefore not be copied and pasted from one to the next.

I agree and it is proven by the Mcboot guys it can't be done. I was asking about installing (as in, executing the .elf file) on the memory card when I use a PS2 to USB adapter to link it to my PC. I apologize if my intentions weren't clear, but that is what I'm asking. Upon further investigation, I saw you can run .elf files if you are using a Linux OS. With that in mind, would it be possible to run and install Free Mcboot to that PS2 memory card via Linux? I'm thinking it would be like installing a program to a specific hard drive, a portable one for example, instead of the standard C: section. I'm more than likely unable to do that, but the possibility intrigues me.

If it is possible, I will probably run Linux off my flash drive, then install it under Linux.

Thanks

That use to be the case. On PSX-Scene there now is a way to install Free MCBoot via the PS3 card reader from a PC. A driver was finally made. I've done up one before but just seems faster doing it on the old PS2. For those who want it, link's below. On a side note, installs are now region free installing this way. I mostly just use the reader now to read/write to PSX memory cards for use with ePSXe. That however requires a seprate driver.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/...s-released-40/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ma Troy For This Useful Post: