Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wtf Mate!

Thanks

Default Wtf Mate!

I searched the forums and I couldnt find the answer I needed..and even if the answer is there,it needs to be stickied or else how the hell is one suposed to go trough 20 pages of bs when all we need is 1 page....

I recently purchased a dreamcast and Im wondering....does dreamcast need a mod-chip in order to play burned games?(its a ntscu dreamcast btw)

And if not...what is a self-booted iso? does that mean that I can play the burned game without mod-chip?

Thanks for your time

NOTE:I am not requesting info on where to get any of the following..I am merely asking if its posible or not ok? dont want to get anyone in trouble
    Last edited by otomon; 19th-November-2005 at 20:34.

Thanks
    EP Points

DC doesn't require any modchip.

Thanks

So all I do is burn a ntscu game and Im good to go? right?

Mikey_ Guest

then again, why would anyone sticky a thread saying if a DC would work without a chip? yeah, some DC's don't need chips to run burned games. self boots are self explanitory.

Thanks
    EP Points

If your DC was produced before October 2000 (I think) then it'll run selfboot backups with no modification, and non selfboot backups with the aid of the Utopia Boot Disc, which can be downloaded for free several places.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

It all deppends on the manufacture date of your console: if it was made before October 2000, it will run backups ( I think that was the date)

Cain was faster

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by otomon
    I searched the forums and I couldnt find the answer I needed..and even if the answer is there,it needs to be stickied or else how the hell is one suposed to go trough 20 pages of bs when all we need is 1 page....

I recently purchased a dreamcast and Im wondering....does dreamcast need a mod-chip in order to play burned games?(its a ntscu dreamcast btw)

And if not...what is a self-booted iso? does that mean that I can play the burned game without mod-chip?

Thanks for your time

NOTE:I am not requesting info on where to get any of the following..I am merely asking if its posible or not ok? dont want to get anyone in trouble
    I'm rather tempted to tell you to fuck off if you aren't willing to search for that yourself, and be bitchy about it too, but noobies will be noobies.

Self-boot means that no mods are needed, just a Dreamcast that was manufactured before oct 2000, if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    If you get a Dreamcast, just make sure it is manufactured on or before October 2000. After that, they fixed the booting process to not be able to boot backups. (There is a way to aler the image to work on them, but it's not really worth editing the boot sector of over 500 games....)
    ha HAH.
    Last edited by Evans; 19th-November-2005 at 20:41.

Mikey_ Guest

i feel a burn coming on...

Thanks

And let's not forget PAL Dreamcasts. They can play backups no matter the manufacture date. If you get one of those, you don't have to worry about the manufacture date of the console. Not to mention PAL Dreamcasts play both PAL and NTSC games. Which is why I want one...

Thanks

Um my friend hooked me up with a burned version of Power Stone 2...well I pop it in and then the system bios pops up and asks me for the date and then it takes me to a screen that has 4 options(the standard ones for any console...play,memory card etc etc)

Anyways when I select "play" it just resets the whole system and doesnt play the game..

Do you guys think this is cause my dc doesnt run self-boots?
    Or is it just cause the cd he gave me is like 4 years old?

Thanks
    EP Points

Check the back or bottom of your DC and see if you can find a date. Is that CD self-boot?

Thanks

Aye sire...it seems to be since the guy who gave it to me is the guy who sold me the actual system..and therefore he played it on the dreamcast or so I presume..but maybe he never even tested it...

The reason Im asking you instead of asking him is because Im not going to see him till 2 weeks from now.....plus I dont want to look like a noob in real life(meaning outside of the Wired or Internet like most americans call it)

Note:It contains no date on the back....just some weird-ass serial numbers.....plus it says its ntscu wich we already knew...

Thanks
    EP Points

Um my friend hooked me up with a burned version of Power Stone 2...well I pop it in and then the system bios pops up and asks me for the date and then it takes me to a screen that has 4 options(the standard ones for any console...play,memory card etc etc)

Anyways when I select "play" it just resets the whole system and doesnt play the game..

Do you guys think this is cause my dc doesnt run self-boots?
    Or is it just cause the cd he gave me is like 4 years old?
    If you have to reset the clock every time you start the DC, your internal battery for the CMOS is dead. Here's a tutorial to replace the expensive rechargeable (soldiered in) battery with cheap AA or AAA batteries
    http://devcast.dcemulation.com/mods/...ce/battery.php

Thanks

Um what does the battery do exactly????? My save files are still there...

Thanks
    EP Points

Um what does the battery do exactly????? My save files are still there...
    Yeah, it's not for the memory card, it's for the internal clock in the Dreamcast. When you are setting the time/date, you are modifying the BIOS (CMOS) of the Dreamcast. The internal battery is supposed to keep these settings while the DC is unplugged.

This has nothing to do with the fact that your backup isn't playing though. You might have a bad disc. Also, Power Stone 2 comes in selfbooting and nonbooting versions.