Thread: Linux OS and desktops / WMs

Thanks

Default Linux OS and desktops / WMs

Which one are you running? why? FC 3 for me - for gnome and japanese language support. I haven't tried anything else out so I have no idea whats good! Anyone using Asian language input with other window managers? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I'm not currently using linux on my desktop, but I generally use fluxbox or gnome. Xfce looks good and I think I'll try that when I get round to installing debian.

Uncle Evil Guest

I currently dont use any distro, but i normaly use Suse mainly because its most user friends linux. (im a complete linux n00b) and i have only used KDE as my desktop. I have heard good things about XFCE but never tried

Thanks

FreeBSD! It's not linux, but it's godly. I'm using fluxbox right now, but have also been tempted to try xfce.

Thanks

I'm thinking of using Fedora, a RedHat derivative. Actually, I probably don't know what I'm saying, as I've heard it's pretty difficult.

There's probably Asian language support...if you code it.

Thanks

I usually use fluxbox or KDE, and Slackware. I don't like Gnome for some reason...
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

KDE on gentoo
    People, in general, are stupid.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
    George S. Patton

Thanks

I personally have to advise against using fedora. For a couple of reasons.

1. It is very very large...well, using it's default gnome setup is rather large anyway.

2. RPMs are really really bad. They are pretty much worse than compiling strictly from source.

However, it does come with many packages on the cds which is a plus...as long as you don't plan on installing much afterwards, it might be all right.

If I couldn't use FreeBSD though, I'd choose either debian or gentoo for their package mangement systems...Trust me, you really really want a good package management system. From what I had seen of Fedora, it RPMS were definately not that.

It's not particularly hard to get asian language support.

http://home.sandiego.edu/~reinholz/freebsd/

Go to the section on the guide on enabling japanese input. I've tested it with fluxbox, but I'm sure you could get it going under any other window manager easily enough. Sure it won't be exactly the same because you're not using FreeBSD, but I bet it might help.

Edit: If you have any suggestions for the table of contents, I would be open to taking them.

For some reason I really really really hate KDE. I think it looks like total shit. However, K3B is a very nice app, so I'm forced to have those libs on my computer. That said, gnome apps look so much nicer. GTK2 is a great widget set.
    Last edited by Xaenn; 19th-January-2005 at 21:34.

Thanks
    EP Points

KDE, gnome shucks.

Thanks

i mainly use KDE, but i have the complete GNOME library set and have things set up in a way that makes it hard to tell the difference between the KDE and GNOME apps. SuSE actually makes it easy to do things like that. as for the pre-compiled vs. source d/l debate, i just use whatever's more convienent. usually that actually == the source but when i just can't get it to compile, i'll fall back on someone else's work...

Thanks

On that note...can anyone tell me how to configure qt so kde apps don't look like total shit? I believe what I have is the default, but god...it's painful. Oh, and it'll have to be in some text files as I don't have the whole suite of kde.

Thanks

>It's not particularly hard to get asian language support.
    >http://home.sandiego.edu/~reinholz/freebsd/

Wow sweet. nice job thanks for link Im downloading iso's right now, when I get installing I'll send you any comments i have, but looks great. Have to follow your tut and try out flux then That and xfce.. Gnome on my laptop at work is horrid, 512MB of ram is barely enough though theres some java bloatware we have to run to interface with the rest of our windows apps..

Id heard good things about debian and apt-get vs red hats rpms which have been annoying me :/, but I hadnt heard that freebsd had a good system. Be cool to try out.

Thanks

Excellent. Glad to have another person trying FreeBSD out. The guide should be relatively flawless, as we tested almost all of it after writing. Be sure to let me know about any problems in it though. Also tell me what you think of FreeBSD. Good luck.