Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tsunami attack....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner8
    Joke EDITED OUT.
    I saw this in one the retro too and this proves how stupid you are.
    Almost 80.000 people died there and you are posting offending jokes about something what happend a few days and costed so much lives.
    This is no form of owning a tread or acting cool for others , it's just the dumbest shit joke I've ever saw.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 30th-December-2004 at 18:06.
    meh

Thanks

There are times when a man goes too far...
    This, my friend, was not funny at all. It can be very offensive.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 30th-December-2004 at 18:05.
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks

Unlucky, glad I wasn't killed by a giant wave of doom.

Naturally, where Japanese schoolgirls dwell.
    Thanks

It is always the utterly poor that get struck by disasters like this. They must be thinking their Gods have forsaken them, which is a crucial matter, considering how much importance these people place on their beliefs nowadays, as it is the only thing that keeps them going.

Thanks

Eh.. While I don't have a horrible sense of humour for populistic purposes, I do apologise if you were too offended by that joke. Should you wish to see the post deleted, all you'll need to do is ask Cyber to do it. I'd do it myself, but I'm leaving for Gothenburg in 15 minutes or so.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner8
    On a related note, a lot more people died here than in the World Trade Centre attacks in 2001. Although I understand it's not the same since this was a natural disaster and not a terrorist attack, it'll be interesting to see how many people will be mourning about this.
    That statement brings to mind a comment a member on this very board made about the 9-11 attacks, and how they weren't a huge deal because the death toll wasn't that large.

I understand that's not what you're trying to say. It's just that....your comment made remember that. It's something that will always stick in my mind because I couldn't believe that there's someone out there who gauges the impact of a tragedy on how many people died in it. It should never be about that. When something terrible happens, it's terrible regardless of the magnitude of the damage done to property, or loss of human lives. This incident just plain sucks.

Oh yeah, I went ahead and deleted that comment for ya. It's best to nip that one in the ass before it gets outta hand.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I probably made derogatory comments about 11th September. Any comments I made I will stand by and I have no reason to apologise for such.

Thanks

^ Good show. I'm starting to believe I wasn't the only person who laughed maliciously at Skinner's joke.

(80,000? This really is a lollocaust!)

"Violence is always the answer. If you somehow believe violence is not the answer, you are asking the wrong questions. If violence is not solving your problems then you're not using enough of it."

Visit my Deviant Art Gallery here:http://sspirate.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks

What is a tsunami?

Thanks

What is a tsunami?
    A really big wave.
    Last edited by Schutzstaffel; 30th-December-2004 at 21:28.

"Violence is always the answer. If you somehow believe violence is not the answer, you are asking the wrong questions. If violence is not solving your problems then you're not using enough of it."

Visit my Deviant Art Gallery here:http://sspirate.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    When a tsunami wave is in deep water, it's nothing more than a ripple of water. Well, technically the water isn't actually moving horizontally to a significant degree (Only vertically, note the behavior of a cork in choppy waters, for instance...it bobs up and down with the water level, but it doesn't move with the waves very much). It's only the energy used to create and maintain the wave that's being moved...when the energy within the wave reaches shallower waters, it drags against the oceanbed, and it lifts the water further, generating the wave you can see. At this point, I believe, it actually is moving water from nearby into the wave, hence why the water recedes from the shoreline shortly before a tsunami or other large wave strikes.
    I think I screwed up, somewhere. This isn't something I know as much about, though I know a little.
    I learn this in physics. It's quite complicated if you do not understand the wave concept.

A wave motion is circular . That's explain why the water makes a wavy motion(many circles close together). What causes the wave to raise, like eg in a beach, is that circle is reaching to the beach, before the beach, there is a angled surface where the circular motion will hit, causing a distorted circle to be an oval on an angle towards the beach, causing a high wave (where surfer can surf through a "tunnel").
    However, in a tsunami, the ground in the sea has been lift up by the earthquake in quite an angle that distort the perfect circular motion into an oval (high angled slant) big enough to reach land.

If only i have a graphic illustration to show you this concept.
    I always have trouble explaining physics stuff. My physics teacher say i can top the class BUT i have to improve my English(my grammar and explanation needs improvement ).
    Last edited by happy_gal; 31st-December-2004 at 00:47.

Thanks

(I remember mushindo after reading that post...)
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes that reminds me of mushindo. I have no idea what happened to her. She told me how to get in contact with her, but she hasn't answered back.

Back on note.

I have good news to say that 2 of the people I know that were in Indonesia were fine. They happened to be far away from where it happened. I also know one other guy from Indonesia. I haven't been able to contact him yet.

Thanks

The main problem is that we'll nevr know how many people have been lost in the disaster, considering the state in which most of the people there lived. Bamboo shanties and stuff like that. We'll never actually know what effect this disaster is gonna have on some people, cause they mightn't ever find their loved ones at all.