Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the new anti-CD burning laws?

Thanks

Default What do you think of the new anti-CD burning laws?

Recently programs like CloneCD and Alcohol 120% have been shut down because they are now ILLEGAL!! ...of course this really sucks for people like me...and for all the legitimate MP3 sales sites...and for anyone that wants to make HD backups...yes burning programs are illegal, next CD burners, and after that MP3 players...my opinion is...well...this really blows

Thanks

Yep. Gay as hell. No reason to try to justify it. It's shit. I hate the RIAA for this shit. Do you have a link to the law for reading? I want to see what else is gonna be illegal with this, not that I really care. I simply would like to tell my mother about this one.

Thanks

I'll try and dig up a link...I found out at the alcohol 120% site though, so you could read up a bit there...
    www.alcohol-software.com

Thanks

I second what Percent21 said.

Thanks

They are cracking down on any sort of copyright infringement...they'll probably go after emulation sites like this soon... ...the stupid thing is that they can't really stop P2P because everyone just moves somewhere else...and now with stuff like Bit Torrent they have to break the law themself to see if anyone else is breaking it...plus if they outlaw mp3 players people will just use palm pilots or laptops, or even cell-phones when they get advanced enough...government resolutions don't stop anything...just piss us off and complicate things a bit for themselves...they're digging a huge hole that everyone can get out of but them...

Thanks

Do you think this will really change anything?
    A real worry would be a virus or group of viruses designed to erase all files with extensions like .mp3, nes, gba, .gbc, .smd, .n64... you get the idea and this strategy may work because the antivirus companies would not remove it, since this would be seen as cooperation on copyright protection... I am not being paranoic but this could be a far more realistic scenario.

And that about making CD writers and mp3 players illegal could backfire since consumers can get quite angry...
    Last edited by J; 17th-July-2004 at 06:42.
    "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
    - Kabir

I will miss you guys.

Thanks

You're fugging kidding... This sounds awful, what stupid idiots, they'll never close down Emuparadise, never!
    Well, i'm not really on the legit side of the world but I can say this sucks, but if the government decide to go any further in this at all (cd writing, mp3 playing such as Galcian said ^), there will be hell.
    You are the weenie.

Thanks

EP has been shut down a couple of times in the past by the IDSA, but it's come back up every time.

That .mp3 virus thing is a good idea, somebody's bound to sell it to the RIAA some day.

Thanks

The correct amount of money, given to the appropriate senator/s, will buy you anything.
    Big business lobby groups are living proof of this.
    Greatly enjoyed Monster Hunter
    Happily playing Guild Wars
    Sorely disappointed with Star Ocean 3

Thanks
    EP Points

Ahh fuck them I am going to go OUT OF MY WAY to burn copys of cd's that I and my mates own now. Fucking pricks, anyone wanna get some metal mp3's from me?

I'll send over FTP.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks

Lol
    Yup u said it. I very much agree with u Norgus
    No one can beat the true fiend master

Thanks

^I second that

Thanks
    EP Points

The measures the govt. takes these days are pretty much the same as trying to tell kids not to do something bad. They're only going to make the situation worse.
    The more they crack down on current technologies, the more is the emergence of even better developed and advanced file sharing technology. And who in their right minds would ban CD Burning ? That's absolutely stupid, the government uses it themselves all the time.. Weirdos.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Hah, another program on my computer is illegal. Oh no what am I gonna do?

Thanks

Originally posted by Percent21
    Yep. Gay as hell. No reason to try to justify it. It's shit. I hate the RIAA for this shit. Do you have a link to the law for reading? I want to see what else is gonna be illegal with this, not that I really care. I simply would like to tell my mother about this one.
    The RIAA has nothing to do with CD/software piracy, they only care about people downloading music.
    Yeah, this totally sucks but it's about time they got their lazy asses to work on the problem. Still... what do they plan to do? ... confiscate CD burners from everyone? Hell... even Windows XP has a built-in burner, so they'll ban Windows too? I think not. Ol' Billy won't let that happen.