Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: what RPG'S took you forever to beat

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

literally all of them

Thanks
    EP Points

FFXIII was one of the FF MMORPG games wasn't it? how can you "beat" an mmo? aside from that, i'm still working on dark souls 2 but after getting stuck around the giants memories part its more of a off and on thing now. recently restarted FFVIII but thats going about the same as dark souls 2 so i'm in no real rush to finish off either of them currently.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    FFXIII was one of the FF MMORPG games wasn't it? how can you "beat" an mmo? aside from that, i'm still working on dark souls 2 but after getting stuck around the giants memories part its more of a off and on thing now. recently restarted FFVIII but thats going about the same as dark souls 2 so i'm in no real rush to finish off either of them currently.
    No it wasn't.

Doesn't stop it from being one of the worst and gayest games ever though.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 3rd-June-2014 at 00:26.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    No it wasn't.
    It was a live-turn by turn (I don't know the proper term for it), but you charge up your attacks over time and they can attack you during that time, they also have a slight charge time as well. When you attack, your characters automatically move around the battlefield and stay there, so if you get really strategic you can dodge some attacks this way with the one character you control (out of 3). You can also use this to interrupt attacks, and enemies can use it for the same purposes but that is just coincidence when it happens for them.

Thanks
    EP Points

Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSONE, I played those games until my playing time reached at it's maximum the game can record, and Dai 3 Ji Super Robot Taisen Alpha 3, took me almost two years to complete the game's scenario chart without using cheats and finished it 18 times.

Thanks

Azure Dreams. I was so addicted to that game at the time that I would sneak out of bed late at night to play it. I would have Toonami on one tv for outlaw star, & azure dreams on the other tv.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sheras View Post
    It was a live-turn by turn (I don't know the proper term for it), but you charge up your attacks over time and they can attack you during that time, they also have a slight charge time as well. When you attack, your characters automatically move around the battlefield and stay there, so if you get really strategic you can dodge some attacks this way with the one character you control (out of 3). You can also use this to interrupt attacks, and enemies can use it for the same purposes but that is just coincidence when it happens for them.
    turn based combat with an ATB bar, i don't remember what that abbreviation is but its fairly common. and i finished FFXIII not long ago and don't want to play it again. i still say its the worst FF game i've ever played all the way through (only went and finished it as it was bugging me that i owned a FF game and hadn't finished it off. if not for that i'd sooner trash it than replay it.), i'd definately agree with you on that, Zaladane. don't particularly like the combat system of lost odyssey or that games NG+ setup but i'd still prefer replaying that over this horrible game.

plot sucked (and was vague and confusing a lot of the time), characters were...when were the characters NOT annoying as all heck? combat system REALLY sucked (eidolon battles that bord on scripted battles in terms of how much strategy is available to you, F that, never doing that again), no economy at all really. no towns or any real exploration till your 3/4 or farther through the game and even then it wasn't much. its like the exact opposite of XII and one of my only complaints with XII was the final boss was a waste of time as you could build 1 character up and solo the entire game more or less.

anyway, i got a disc cleaner now so my ps2 is working again (just needed cleaning) so i can go back to playing the RPGs i have on that console for now.
    Last edited by treos; 16th-June-2014 at 12:13.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    They have gotten bigger recently, but the older games (Morrowind in particular) can take a while if you explore everything. And the travel system for that game isn't really extensive, but you can use magic to a degree.
    And extra content adds a bit.
    I guess it really depends if you just rush through the main plot or grind to max out, hoard a heap of stuff, explore and do a heap of side quests

It has been a while but I would guess I put a heap of time into Morrowind when I first played it. I did that on purpose though. It's possible I actually put more time into Oblivion, and it just seems Morrowind took more of my time because it was earlier.
    There are Silt striders for inland travel, ferry boats for ocean travel, teleports between Mages guild halls, Mark and Recall spells to set your own teleport location, Almsivi Intervention for Temple recall, Divine Intervention for Imperial Cult recall, Temples with Teleporters you need a key stone to activate, walking, running, flying... The game with the most extensive range of travel options, and it isn't really extensive...

Probably just means I've put a ton more time into this game than most people.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by skullpoker View Post
    There are Silt striders for inland travel, ferry boats for ocean travel, teleports between Mages guild halls, Mark and Recall spells to set your own teleport location, Almsivi Intervention for Temple recall, Divine Intervention for Imperial Cult recall, Temples with Teleporters you need a key stone to activate, walking, running, flying... The game with the most extensive range of travel options, and it isn't really extensive...

Probably just means I've put a ton more time into this game than most people.
    Mark and recall is limited, you can't mark a heap of places and select where you want to go.
    Intervention is a one way ticket to the closest relevant temple.
    Silt striders, Mage's guild etc require you to get to those locations so you can use those options.
    The teleporters, well you have to collect all the stones first.
    Flying, you have to level up a bit before you create a ring that has constant levitation...and movement isn't that fast anyway so travellling large distances can take a while.

The game doesn't have a fast travel system, and in order to have all the travel options fully accessible you need to play the game for quite a while.
    Still a great game though, and forcing you to do a heap of stuff to level up your character isn't a bad thing.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 17th-June-2014 at 09:07.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yeah, I usually made a Levitation item that i had to recast every 3-5 seconds, since I could cast it so many times I could fly anywhere. And with a silt strider and Mage guild in the first 2 towns the game sends you to, I always though of them as being extremely convenient. Take the SS to Balmora, Guild port to Vivec, access the Ferry in the canal there... fairly quick and easy to open up all those options. Or you could substitute Sadrith Mora for Vivec, getting you that much closer to Azura's Star and Summon Golden Saint.

Mark, Recall, and Intervention tended to be "Mark when you can't walk, Intervention, sell the load, Recall".

And for leveling quickly I tended to use the "Drain Skill on self for 1 sec/train for 1 gold" bug at the low level trainers. I figure you're supposed to be a demi-god, may as well exploit. Suddenly, 100 Enchanting makes my Levi pants recharge almost as I cast.

<3 Morrowind.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 17th-June-2014 at 08:45.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I bought the goty retail for xbox (PAL) and pretty much played it strictly noob-like. Although I did a lot of jumping around
    Didn't get my console modded for a while and when I did I had already finished the game...but I eventually tracked down an NTSC-U version that had some ported mods included.

I spent so much time on that game, it was like other games didn't exist

Spoiler warning:

I dont know where, I just woke up, an island maybe?
    Thanks
    EP Points

I just beat persona 3 fes on hard mode, my god I thought I would never see the end of it, I had 60 hour's on it and tried to beat nix (cheating useing save state's) till pcsx2 kept crashing on me,
    so I had no choice but to level up till I reached LV 85, and beat him at 80 hour's Im DONE with SMT game's