Thread: Does anyone here do any form of martial arts? Im looking for some advice..

Thanks

Default Does anyone here do any form of martial arts? Im looking for some advice..

hey I've been doing taekwondo for awhile but I feel like I've come as far as I am prepared to go... (Black tag)
    Im now looking for a martial art which would actually help me defend myself... as WTF taekwondo is purely for sport reason and I dont see it being used in a fight unless you were super good. Can anyone recommend anything.

Thanks

I personally think that all martial arts are for sport unless you are extremely good at it, otherwise, your ass is gonna die in a real hardcore fight unless you're big and strong

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rok124 View Post
    I personally think that all martial arts are for sport unless you are extremely good at it, otherwise, your ass is gonna die in a real hardcore fight unless you're big and strong
    Example= Ninja vs. Wrench

Thanks

A genuine self defense system is Krav Maga, the training in a proper school is very brutal though and they will expect you to work out as well as do cardio.

It can also be psychologically confronting, you will do various training like sitting in a room alone for an undisclosed time and then suddenly attacked by several people. They do lots of group work like that, as well as work with knives.

A bit too intense for me so I just run 4 times a week

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Rok124 View Post

Ever heard of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or any of those guys? They do martial arts and could beat even the biggest dudes.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=karate+street+fights

Quote Originally Posted by _User_ View Post
    Had he seen her coming she would have fared just as well as the first guy.

"When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime", freedom and liberty have become words without meanings."
    ~ Chad Dumier, "Deus Ex"

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
    Ever heard of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or any of those guys? They do martial arts and could beat even the biggest dudes.

I bet none of them ever took a nice kick in the nuts. They'd be screaming sounds like the special effects in their movies. Nice google link by the way, I found it more entertaining than British television.

If we're talking one on one, I'd say the martial artist would have the upperhand due to their probable mastery of technique, e.g. knowing how to throw a proper punch and keeping a firm base, and just general awareness of their fighting environment. But I'd also say the element of surprise is vital; doing something the opponent is completely unprepared for is key to gaining the advantage, which could be a headbutt or, as hinted on before, a low blow. It ain't unheard of for a trained martial artist to get beaten by a regular joe.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by _User_ View Post

that made my day

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Bruce Lee is a very exceptional case, he emphasized physical training, technique not being enough on its own.

Look at his forearm development.

bruceripped.jpg

It was the only set of muscles along with core abdominal that he trained daily (the rest of his body he trained according to strength training, every other day). His forearm, tricep and latissimus dorsi (lats) development gave him explosive punching power. Even in UFC you don't see fighters train their body like this and those guys work hard. His lead punch was developed as a knockout punch, most people use it as a jab to set-up a strong hook or straight, but he developed his body as well as technique to put as much of his bodyweight behind it. It's called Lead Straight or Lead Blast in Jeet Kune Do.

Even at 5'7 Bruce Lee had enormous physical strength and focused heavily on weights and cardio.

Thanks

but those guys, especially Bruce lee, are especially great at the martial arts. they're proof that if you become exceptionally good at the martial arts then you can fight just about anyone and win
    Last edited by Rok124; 13th-December-2012 at 21:34.

Rewardsgaming.net