Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Games, Im a beginner

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Fighting Games, Im a beginner

Id like to win a tournament one day, and maybe become the best ever (haha), but Im not natural to it, but I hear only a few are. I have no one to play with at home and I dont know of an arcade near me. So what did you guys do when you started playing them, how did you get good? I never did play them as a kid really sorta. How long did it take to get good and beat Street Fighter 2 or other games.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Use these

http://damdai.com/supercade/

http://ggpo.net/

Many members on the forum fight each other using these (I do not) but Sheik, King, Nem, God of Battle and others play all the time. If you need help setting them up, Sheik has 2 blog entries devoted to that subject.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

first off to get goo i would suggest picking e certain "type" of fighter to practice, i dont know their actual names but

1st type Examples(2d fast fighters):
    1) Blazblue
    2) Arcana Heart 1+
    3) Persona Arena
    4) Marvel Vs Capcom 2+
    5) most any Marvel Vs game
    6) Most Street fighters

2nd type example(3d Fighter):
    1)Soulcalibur
    2) Tekken (all)
    3) DOA Dead or alive (all of them EXCEPT Extreme)

3rd type(party fighter):
    1)Smash bros

4th type (MISC)
    1) anime fighters

most of those i could break into further lists but this is just rough, and obviously doesnt list ALL fighters

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This guy is helpful if you're looking at MVC3, also dabbles in other games and watching him can help you understand lingo and some basic ideas on how fighters work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Miles923

Assist Me is a good series of tutorials on MVC3 characters, also has amusing sketches.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm only semi-competent in SSF4, and by that I don't mean I'm top-tier or anything. No way. But probably better than the average joe. What I started off with is do the Trials of my chosen character, which helps you learn some of the basic moves, combos and such. If you don't have that in your game, hop onto YT and find some tutorials. After that it's just a matter of time and constant practice - I mainly played online and against my brother. Don't give up and keep playing even if you lose a ton at first. And don't button mash. It also helps to start out with an easier to use character first just to get used to the game, and then switch onto someone else. Example: I started off with Ryu in SSF4 and only later switched to Juri and Cammy as my mains.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What do you guys think of Neo Geo games? like king of fighters and samurai shodown? are they really advanced for a beginner?

I saw a good documentary on ssf4 players.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    What do you guys think of Neo Geo games? like king of fighters and samurai shodown? are they really advanced for a beginner?
    Well, I dabble in both, an average player (when I'm not pissed at a button masher )
    I would say that The King of Fighters is probably one of the easiest games to pick up, but at the same time taxing to master. With a second being Garou - Mark of the Wolves.
    Samurai Showdown, Last Blade, and other Neo Geo titles are more technical, but all easy to pick up and wail on those who dare challenge you

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheik For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm not very good at them myself, but I can hold my own, but I will say something really important is to stay calm. Start panicking and you start to make serious mistakes.
    Worst thing about gaming is being unable to remember the name of games you had fun with...and lag.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thanks
    EP Points

Did I hear King of Fighters, Garou, SamSho, Last Blade, and all of the awesome NeoGeo fighters?

PS. my team for KoF 98 is in my sig

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't like fighters.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, as it was mentioned, you generally have to keep a cool head. Sometimes your passion to win will help you, but a lot of times being over-zealous is utterly self defeating,

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I consider myself not really above average, but I find that this helps.

For any fighter, just try fighting against a CPU enemy with every character. If you find a character you like using, then just keep practicing against all other characters as CPU opponents.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah a thing about that, I did training with Kashumi and Tina in DOA 1, but chose Kashumi for my first tournament mode since I loved her L1 kick more. Well I did well and got to place against her, and she kicked my ass 20/2 times. Then I played as Tina and beat Kashumi 2 in a row with out much damage. I think playing as a character helps and if you play as all the characters youll do better against them. Does anyone else do that?

Thanks

My fiance plays with the best in my state for Street Fighter. That actually helps him a lot. With Street Fighter our state champion memorized each movement of each character. So he can appox the distance between attacks, jumps, landings, and even supers. It's really scary. My fiance practices with him once in a while and that definley helps. It's like being thrown into the deep end you have to think fast or you'll get effed up.

Then he plays against the hardest CPU difficulty when he can. Usually the hardest CPU difficulty is extra cheap and a majority of players can't even play like that. If you can beat the crazy CPUs you're pretty much set. I think it's like that for most fighters as well. I never try games on easy mode just for this reason. Just memorize all your moves in the training and just go crazy on normal-hard mode until you get the hang of it. Then go for the hardest difficulty.

I don't care for fighters. XD I hate memorizing things but I always have a blast watching them. Good luck!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    Yeah a thing about that, I did training with Kashumi and Tina in DOA 1, but chose Kashumi for my first tournament mode since I loved her L1 kick more. Well I did well and got to place against her, and she kicked my ass 20/2 times. Then I played as Tina and beat Kashumi 2 in a row with out much damage. I think playing as a character helps and if you play as all the characters youll do better against them. Does anyone else do that?
    i'm best with Ryu, Janlee and Tina, though it still is a MAJOR Pain in the ass to beat Alpha in DOA4 (though aparently even the best players have trouble with her)

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean