Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beating Retro* Games: How do you feel about it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealSpiders View Post
    I use save states, because they're fucking convenient. I don't think it really has any real effect on the whether or not you can consider a game beaten.
    +1

However, save states backfired on me once with PS Tomb Raider (via ePSXe emulator) as the file somehow ended up corrupted and as I hadn't saved the game "the old way" (using crystals), I had to restart the WHOLE game. Still, I am in agreement that save states are extremely handy if you don't have much time on your hands - like me. A painful lesson learnt though... save in-game soon as opportunity arises just to be safe lol.

Thanks

lol I never thought of save states as ruining the beating of the game but now I kind of do, sooo crap....
    And since the only 2 games I actually COMPLETED I used save states on, so this topic bugs me now -.-
    I'm so not going through those games again, while trying to complete them and without save states, so yeah apparently it makes me think I ruined the game like cheating.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 160 Posts
    EP Points

I`m not afraid to use save state function in games like ,.. Ninja Gaiden-Final Boss stage[for the PCE ] or Battletoads for NES.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

If it's an RPG or something save states are usually fine (unless you're saving after each enemy attack or something), but for other games it's cheating. I don't care, some games are hard, but it's still cheating.

I used save states (between some levels and stuff) to beat Contra III for the first time. Now I beat it on hard with no continues, no problem. That's truly beating a game.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Armitage View Post
    If it's an RPG or something save states are usually fine (unless you're saving after each enemy attack or something), but for other games it's cheating. I don't care, some games are hard, but it's still cheating.

I used save states (between some levels and stuff) to beat Contra III for the first time. Now I beat it on hard with no continues, no problem. That's truly beating a game.
    I meant to say something like this. I don't really play platformers anymore though and when I did I was just kid that surely didn't even know what an emulator was.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I don't really play platformers anymore though and when I did I was just kid that surely didn't even know what an emulator was.
    I am thinking about Sonic for Mega Drive/Gens... (and I was 4 back then. )
    As for me, save states in a retro Sonic game seriously feels like cheating.
    Since you have to time your jumps in many platform games, and in Sonic "1",
    particularly, the idea of restarting each jump sounds really ridiculous.

(Though if you are new to it and are really desperate to see the ending,
    go ahead, but it really kills that sweet sweet feeling of acomplishment. )

So: " - 1 " to it.

But then there is...

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Armitage View Post

RPG...

Hm, I will just comment platformers because save states are actually nifty in other genres... ^^'

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Rocket propelled grenades are my favourite games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Rocket propelled grenades are my favourite games.
    And can you use save states on those?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by foggy_han View Post
    And can you use save states on those?
    I wish, they're a nasty bunch. Assuming they aren't duds.

Thanks

I use save states when they are needed.Since the dev's of retro games (NES,Snes,Genesis) really had no other way of extending a game besides adding ridiculous difficulty (Ninja Gaiden NES anyone?) save states are a godsend.I would have never finished T.M.N.T on the NES without them!

Thanks

I use save states when they are needed.Since the dev's of retro games (NES,Snes,Genesis) really had no other way of extending a game besides adding ridiculous difficulty (Ninja Gaiden NES anyone?) save states are a godsend.I would have never finished T.M.N.T on the NES without them!
    Oh yes, those games almost feel like they need to have saves in order to be beaten! I remember beating Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, except for the third one (which I feel is impossible). I was actually able to beat some NES games that I couldn't beat when I was a kid *looks at Gargoyle's Quest II* .