Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Playstation 3 hacked

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobolicious View Post
    I dunno, I just don't see it. The odds of a dedicated pirate buying anything new are pretty shockingly low.

If they buy it used, the dev/publisher don't get any of the money at all. It all goes to gamestop or whatever.

Maybe all I know are cheap pirates, but if they cant steal a game outright, they just buy used. Particularly during buy 2 get 1 free sales and such.
    It's not the dedicated pirate; it's the dilettante. People who would have likely bought new, but go with piracy instead because it's cheaper. Piracy's greatest impact is soon after release, typically, when the used market for the game in question doesn't exist yet. That's why most companies also adopt a "good enough" policy as far as DRM and other forms of copy protection are concerned. As long as they hold for a few weeks, long enough for would-be pirates to lose patience and spring for a copy while watching buyers playing their release copies, it's good enough for them.

Thanks
    EP Points

similar to what happened with cod and birth by sleep

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

you mean cracked and released before they were even released in stores? Herf derf. I had both codblops and bbs like a week early.

I still bought bbs because it was a good game. New, even.

There was at least 6 used copies of codblops at my local gamestop 2 days after release. I live near Atlanta, mind, but Ive never seen a new game not have used copies within a day. I guess out in the sticks it is probably vastly different, but Ive always lived near a city area.

I think the most telling bit of info on this comes from EA though. A notoriously greedy company. Theyve probably spent as much developing and maintaining things like cerberus network, which is squarely aimed at used sales, as they have on drm lately.

Thanks
    EP Points

Images of games are almost always on the internet before release. In my time I've seen games go up as early as 3 weeks before release date!

Thanks
    EP Points

supposedly EA is making something that will be like a serial number for their games and disable them from being sold used

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

Sony just filed a lawsuit against Geohot and fail0verflow for this. It's worth noting though that they've barely got a leg to stand on with the charges, as far as I can see.. But it's news worthy nonetheless.

I've been keeping extremely close tabs on the PS3 scene for months, and have even been doing a bit of minor hacking on the console myself the last few days.. If anyone is curious about anything concerning all of this, feel free to shoot a question my way.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Pretty much all homebrew ultimately sucks after a little while, so the guys at fail0verflow are full of shit. They want to pirates games as much as the next guy...they just have to say they're against it because they're the ones who can be blamed. It implies nobility where there is none.
    That's right, there is no sense in pretending that you won't pirate something at some point. The only 'homebrew' I care about are the emulators; my only reason is because I want to play stuff on my TV. Homebrew games are pretty much glorified flash games.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocobolicious
    Used, yes, which in the end does nothing for the companies anyway. So all piracy really hurts is gamestop.
    Somebody had to buy it new for it to be used so yeah, only Gamestop gets the blow . Except for NIS games (I just gotta buy em') I just buy used when I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy4
    supposedly EA is making something that will be like a serial number for their games and disable them from being sold used
    Crazy DRM like that only pisses off the people that actually buy the game.
    Last edited by Slacker Magician; 12th-January-2011 at 18:36.

Getting around to it... | Available via Retroshare 16/7.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shardnax View Post
    That's right, there is no sense in pretending that you won't pirate something at some point. The only 'homebrew' I care about are the emulators; my only reason is because I want to play stuff on my TV. Homebrew games are pretty much glorified flash games.
    I honestly find this to be a pretty narrow-minded viewpoint.. Homebrew has a vast greater application than you give it credit for. Take the PSP for example, through Homebrew it's possible to take a screenshot at any time of any game you're playing, quite nice a feature that should honestly be a standard in all consoles these days but for some reason isn't. Likewise thanks to homebrew you can modify game memory on the PSP, which while to some simply screams "cheats!" it in reality has a lot deeper usage than that.. As a hobbiest game hacker over the years, I've had a lot of fun tinkering with games by altering their memory.. And besides the hobbiest approach to that, there are technical advantages as well! Take Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for example.. The SOTN remake included in that package does not offer a wide-screen resolution, whereas with a little memory tweak you can force the game into displaying in wide-screen mode. (Which quite frankly, makes the entire play experience better in my opinion.)

Likewise, the PSP's processor is actually underclocked by default, and via homebrew the processor can be brought up to its actual capacity, allowing it to run better than normal, vastly increasing performance in some games!

Also yes, load-times are vastly superior by copying your game to a memory stick as opposed to running it through the UMD drive. You don't HAVE to resort to piracy to take advantage of using backups, the advantage is already there. (Furthermore, the UMD drive is responsible for the majority of the battery drain on the PSP, so this extends your playtime.)

I could go on, but I don't think it's necessary.. There is PLENTY of valid application to Homebrew that has nothing to do with Piracy. The PS3 in particular has a ton of potential, and I can honestly say there is a LOT more I want to do with it than pirate games. (I don't claim to not want to pirate games on it, I do actually, but that's hardly my only reasoning behind it. And if I could never pirate a single game on my PS3, I'd still want it hacked.)
    Last edited by Krisan Thyme; 12th-January-2011 at 18:54.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Krisan Thyme View Post
    I honestly find this to be a pretty narrow-minded viewpoint.. Homebrew has a vast greater application than you give it credit for. Take the PSP for example, through Homebrew it's possible to take a screenshot at any time of any game you're playing, quite nice a feature that should honestly be a standard in all consoles these days but for some reason isn't. Likewise thanks to homebrew you can modify game memory on the PSP, which while to some simply screams "cheats!" it in reality has a lot deeper usage than that.. As a hobbiest game hacker over the years, I've had a lot of fun tinkering with games by altering their memory.. And besides the hobbiest approach to that, there are technical advantages as well! Take Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles for example.. The SOTN remake included in that package does not offer a wide-screen resolution, whereas with a little memory tweak you can force the game into displaying in wide-screen mode. (Which quite frankly, makes the entire play experience better in my opinion.)

Likewise, the PSP's processor is actually underclocked by default, and via homebrew the processor can be brought up to its actual capacity, allowing it to run better than normal, vastly increasing performance in some games!

Also yes, load-times are vastly superior by copying your game to a memory stick as opposed to running it through the UMD drive. You don't HAVE to resort to piracy to take advantage of using backups, the advantage is already there. (Furthermore, the UMD drive is responsible for the majority of the battery drain on the PSP, so this extends your playtime.)

I could go on, but I don't think it's necessary.. There is PLENTY of valid application to Homebrew that has nothing to do with Piracy. The PS3 in particular has a ton of potential, and I can honestly say there is a LOT more I want to do with it than pirate games. (I don't claim to not want to pirate games on it, I do actually, but that's hardly my only reasoning behind it. And if I could never pirate a single game on my PS3, I'd still want it hacked.)
    The processor speed is automatically controlled last I knew. Homewbrew has other uses but aside from emulators and cheating, I can't think of much else that I would use on the PS3 though. Since the PSP is portable stuff like an eBook reader and music/video homewbrew has use. The person that only uses a hacked console (or handheld) for homebrew is pretty rare.

Thanks

It's actually intentionally underclocked because it drains the battery life a lot faster at its stock speed. As such, it's not an ideal hack for on the go use, but it's nice for the certain choice game you play at home.

Anyway, there is quite a bit that can be done with Homebrew is the point. Just because you yourself do not find a lot of uses for it does not mean they're not there or that everyone must resort to piracy.

As for some of the applications to having a PS3? Try having a means of ripping Blu-Ray media, or the implementation of MKV support on the PS3 so that you can watch more types of media on the system. Or hell, try Linux itself once they get it on there. Other OS actually severely limited the access Linux had to the hardware, but being able to boot directly into Linux with full hardware access? There's a lot of fun to be had there for geeks. The Cell Processor alone is masterful at its sheer number crunching capabilities. (There's a reason the PS3 is commonly used with Folding@Home or why the Military bought them in bulk so they could setup the systems as cheap super-computer clusters.)

Thanks
    EP Points

The first two 'applications to having a PS3' are both based on piracy
    (ripping Blu-Ray...sure you can rip your own, but why?)
    (MKV files...nobody does that for storage. They are downloaded)

You can bet a dollar to a doughnut: If I ever get a PS3 and hack it, it's for one reason alone. Piracy.

See? Simple and honest.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprung For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The first two 'applications to having a PS3' are both based on piracy
    (ripping Blu-Ray...sure you can rip your own, but why?)
    (MKV files...nobody does that for storage. They are downloaded)

You can bet a dollar to a doughnut: If I ever get a PS3 and hack it, it's for one reason alone. Piracy.

See? Simple and honest.
    There is justification to ripping Blu-ray media for personal use. Neither my Desktop nor Laptop computers have blu-ray drives.. Yet ripping a movie or video from a blu-ray disc would allow me to watch them elsewhere than in my living-room. There's nothing illegal in keeping personal backup copies.

Likewise viewing MKV's on a PS3 was meant more for the usefulness the format has, not for storage but because of how versatile the media is. It's practically the ideal format for things like Anime. (Where you can add multiple subs or subs to a single file. And adding support for this filetype itself isn't piracy, how you obtain the MKV's might be but not support for the file format.)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's actually intentionally underclocked because it drains the battery life a lot faster at its stock speed. As such, it's not an ideal hack for on the go use, but it's nice for the certain choice game you play at home.

Anyway, there is quite a bit that can be done with Homebrew is the point. Just because you yourself do not find a lot of uses for it does not mean they're not there or that everyone must resort to piracy.

As for some of the applications to having a PS3? Try having a means of ripping Blu-Ray media, or the implementation of MKV support on the PS3 so that you can watch more types of media on the system. Or hell, try Linux itself once they get it on there. Other OS actually severely limited the access Linux had to the hardware, but being able to boot directly into Linux with full hardware access? There's a lot of fun to be had there for geeks. The Cell Processor alone is masterful at its sheer number crunching capabilities. (There's a reason the PS3 is commonly used with Folding@Home or why the Military bought them in bulk so they could setup the systems as cheap super-computer clusters.)
    If somebody enables Linux with support to access all the processors I'll use it to convert videos, otherwise I'll just use Linux on my computer if I want it. The PS3 supports a lot of media as-is, and I use TVersity to watch anything on it so I can be lazy.

Thanks
    EP Points

There is justification to ripping Blu-ray media for personal use. Neither my Desktop nor Laptop computers have blu-ray drives.. Yet ripping a movie or video from a blu-ray disc would allow me to watch them elsewhere than in my living-room. There's nothing illegal in keeping personal backup copies.

Likewise viewing MKV's on a PS3 was meant more for the usefulness the format has, not for storage but because of how versatile the media is. It's practically the ideal format for things like Anime.
    I hear ya.

Thanks

I hear ya.
    I personally do have interests regarding piracy myself when it comes to homebrew, I admit. So I'm kinda with you there, if it can be hacked I'll probably pirate at least one game for it (look where we are, after all). But yeah, there is stuff you can do with homebrew (a lot of stuff) that doesn't have to boil down to piracy, and even if I couldn't pirate anything I seriously would have it hacked just for the other stuff I could do.

You know one thing I'd kill for? Being able to take screenshots of my PS3 game on the fly.. Such a simple feature, but it would be so awesome to have.