Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Playstation 1 rpgs.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
    FFIX? I think you mean FFVIII. People still loathe that game. For obvious reasons or not.
    I'm guessing she might be referring to all the people who thought 9 was "too kiddy" after 7-8. I personally loved it, and never really thought of it as an underrated game.

I'm surprised not that more people hate Vagrant Story, the learning curve and experience you need to even get through the beginning portions of the game is astonishing. I kept picking up the game and ragequiting because it was so hard. But I kept reading on the internet that Vagrant Story is just a fuckawesome game so I had to try and try again. That was a time when I actually had patience for games.
    Yeah, that's similar to my case. I played it around the time it first came out and soon got stuck because I crafted shitty weapons. On my second run, just a few years ago, I actually finished the game and had a blast playing it. I didn't find crafting as hard as before, and realized that you can pretty much tear any boss a new one by paying attention and exploiting their weaknesses. I'm guessing many of the haters played it when they were younger, hated it, and never bothered to go back to it like you did.

Thanks

FFIX? I think you mean FFVIII. People still loathe that game. For obvious reasons or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I'm guessing she might be referring to all the people who thought 9 was "too kiddy" after 7-8. I personally loved it, and never really thought of it as an underrated game.
    I am referring to that particular complaint. I know 8 got a lot of flack, but it was the first FF I played, and 9 came right after that. I loved them both pretty equally, but they were also my first real RPGs, so I was easily impressed.

Whenever I saw 9 brought up anywhere, it was always the underdog of the series, but that was several years ago. Now I feel 12 gets the short end of the stick in the series. I haven't played it myself, but I know you like it, Gare, and that gives me hope for when I decide to boot it up

Thanks
    EP Points

I hope you'll like 12, but I won't entirely be surprised if you don't. It's really a love it/hate it kind of game, and I've yet to see someone who didn't have a strong (either positive or negative) opinion on it.

Just keep in mind that Vaan is not the main character. Like, not even close. The plot is actually about Ashe, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why she wasn't made the "official" main protagonist.

Thanks

No Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure at all? For shame people! For shame!

Sure it's short and girly but also funny. Elin knows this too.

Thanks

I hope you'll like 12, but I won't entirely be surprised if you don't. It's really a love it/hate it kind of game, and I've yet to see someone who didn't have a strong (either positive or negative) opinion on it.

Just keep in mind that Vaan is not the main character. Like, not even close. The plot is actually about Ashe, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why she wasn't made the "official" main protagonist.
    I think i'm that exception. Im in the middle. I love the combat, but i hate the character (Vaan). I love the twist on unlocking abilities, buti hate some of the stealing. I like to play it, but not as often as others.
    I love you.... Now get in your cage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fer! View Post
    No Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure at all? For shame people! For shame!

Sure it's short and girly but also funny. Elin knows this too.
    I actually have that game. But considering it was a girly, boring tactical RPG, I dropped it immediately.

Probably like everyone else.

Thanks

I would have to say that the best ps1 rpg's would be Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy 9, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Legend of Dragoon, and Suikoden 1 and 2

It's not where you are, but where you've been that matters
    Thanks

I always wished they would have made more rpg's for psx, I felt it was one of the true great systems. It was an interesting time, developers were experimenting with new types of graphics, but the games themselves were still quite good. They should have kept making games for it, instead of making the next best system and scrapping the idea. *sigh*

Parasite Eve
    Breath of Fire 3
    Final Fantasy 9
    Grandia
    Lunar Silver Star Story
    Chrono Cross
    Saga Frontier
    Wild Arms
    Last edited by Russ; 28th-December-2010 at 13:44.

Thanks

Legand of dragoon was pretty good and so was FFIX so im gonna have to go with those.

Honorable mention would have to be xenogears and legend of mana.
    Squirrels are trying to take over the world with nutclear bombs.

Join the bunny resistance!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I actually have that game. But considering it was a girly, boring tactical RPG, I dropped it immediately.

Probably like everyone else.
    Well, actually, I loved it, too.

Oh, I'm actually the first at something. I was rather ambivalent towards it. It wasn't bad, but I kinda just lost interest. I don't even remember where I left off...some point after Leviathan blew up, maybe around the Feywood or something like that? And the reason Vaan was introduced was because the Japanese staff were worried that, given how Vagrant Story fell through the cracks, that the Japanese market wouldn't accept manly Basch as the protagonist, or so I heard.

My list, reduced to three:
    Chrono Cross
    Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
    Threads of Fate - why did this game never get a sequel?

Thanks
    EP Points

Regarding FF 12, I'm pondering whether I should go along or just drop it, too. Between the sound effects of Vagrant Story, tunes that are straight out of Kingdom Hearts, gameplay that reminds me of Parasite Eve's, and just running about while my gambits do everything, I find that only the story is worth the bother at this point. Also, herp a derp, needs more desert!

As for a sequel to Threads of Fate, they ran out of pumpkins.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    And the reason Vaan was introduced was because the Japanese staff were worried that, given how Vagrant Story fell through the cracks, that the Japanese market wouldn't accept manly Basch as the protagonist, or so I heard.
    Yeah, I'm aware of that. It's quite unfortunate, really. I even caught a glimpse of a concept art of Basch's original design, when he was probably still considered the main protagonist. Oh well.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm gonna jump on board with ff12. It's fantastic. Yes the gambits detract a bit but you get to the point where you'll still run into trouble unless you spend a bunch of time setting them for every hunt, boss, summon so it's up to the player. Besides it's not like you start with all of them at once. I thought the story was a little weak but it's still one of my faves.

Psx
    In order

Star Ocean 2
    FFT
    FF9
    Parasite eve 2
    Alundra (more of a action adventure)
    FF7
    Wild arms
    Dungeon mode of ehrgiez. Seriously

Guess that's a big list for fave game but oh well one can infer that S02 is my fave, FFT comes damn close though (or tied)

Thanks

Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite RPG on Playstation 1 and the best Final Fantasy game on the system.

Followed by Xenogears.

Both those games have more mature storys and both fairly difficult.

Thanks

You know, I just realized this thread specified psx rpgs. How I missed two-fourths of the thread title, I do not know. I'm a dolt.