Thread: Opera vs. Firefox

Threaded View

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
    Opera is no doubt the better browser. Firefox is way over rated only because its open source, like that's a really big deal. For a bare minimal browser, Firefox takes a hell lot more memory than Opera, and this slowness only goes up with their crappy third party plugins. I tried Firefox, while I was using IE, after a friend insisted on how good it is. Given its much better than IE, its really not as great as the hype claims it to be, and I switched to Opera after two weeks.

Firefox also has the shittiest excuse for tabbed browsing without some sort of tabbed browsing plugin. It's just a really really bad browser in general. And what's with that spreadfirefox site spending $250,000 pulling one terrible ad in the NY Times, you'd think they spend $250 sending a competent programmer to Morzilla to fix the memory leak in the software.
    You seem to have used FireFox when it was in its early stages. No plug in is required for tabbed browsing in Firefox... It's tabbed browsing doesn't look like ass either, and works quite nicely since you can scroll between tabs using mouse gestures(right click+mwheel, but you can change this. There's a mousegestures thing with a GUI, but that's fancy and resource consuming. I prefer the simpler one which I mentioned since it works fast and accurately)

Why not give it another try? I'll promise to give Opera a try myself...

Btw, Firefox works like lightning unless you're running a very shitty comp. If you get some slow preformance, tweaking some settings in the about:config page fixes that. It doesn't run all that great on this Pentium Celeron 2.2Ghz I'm on, but it works with absolutely no slowdown on a P3 clocking in at 533Mhz. At times it does fill up your memory if you've browsed a lot and left it open for a long time, even when you've closed all the other tabs and shit, but restarting FF clears that up very nicely. It's not like it slows it down or anything though...
    Last edited by Soeru; 22nd-January-2005 at 01:15.