Thread: Brand new to emulating, having trouble with Pokemon Emerald

Thanks

Default Brand new to emulating, having trouble with Pokemon Emerald

I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm trying to run Pokemon Emerald with VisualBoyAdvance 1.7.2, and I can't get the game to start. I'm using the "Open..." option, selecting the ZIP archive for the game, and all it gives me is a blank screen with "loaded battery" at the bottom left. What do I do? Like I said, I'm brand new to this, so I'm sorry if I've said something stupid.

Thanks
    EP Points

Make sure your save type is like the one in the image

Thanks

I've got my settings the way they're shown there, but still nothing. The save isn't really the problem, either. I haven't been able to even get the game started at all, much less save anything.
    Last edited by KingCrow; 1st-September-2015 at 03:50.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Upload a copy of your vba.ini file please then I can see if I get the same as what you get from your settings

Though save should be set to 64k not 128k

You will also want the vba-over.ini file that you can get from
    http://www.emuparadise.me/links-and-...vba-over.ini/5
    Just follow the instructions on how to use it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-September-2015 at 04:19.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Okay, how do I upload that? I don't see a vba.ini in the folder, just vba1, vbalink, and vba-over. My computer doesn't say whether they're .ini flies, either. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, I'm not super great with this kind of thing.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Open the folder
    For Windows 10 go to View on the top menu (click it) then Options (click it) then click on the View Tab and remove the tick next to Hide extensions of known file types then hit Apply then OK
    For Windows 8 and older (If there is no top menu first press F10 to show the top menu) on the top menu click on Tools then Folder options then click on the View Tab and remove the tick next to Hide extensions of known file types then hit Apply then OK

You might want to do the same for hidden files

P.S. did you get the rom from our main site so when I do test I can make sure I have the same rom (To rule out a bad rom), I already have v1.7.2 of VBA anyway though 1.6.0 was the last official build of it
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-September-2015 at 07:27.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I finally got it to work. Not sure what I did, but thank you.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

At a guess using the vba-over file and correcting the save type

vba-over just auto correctings setting for certain games that don't normally detect correctly, the Pokemon games are in the vba-over setting as they are gamews that fail the save type detection, RTC (Real Time Clock) is also activated via vba-over so Pokemon timed events ect work

Not that it matters as long as you can play it now
    Last edited by Zorlon; 1st-September-2015 at 13:35.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

Welcome to the world of emulation man.

I got started in 1997 right when Nesticle was first released and have kept up with it over the years.

I just loaded Windows 10 on my work tablet/netbook (its a Dell Venue...look it up, its odd. Cool but odd) so I am hitting up EmuParadise for some emulators and roms when I noticed your post.

It just made me get semi-nostalgic and oddly happy for you man. Before too long you will be playing the Wii and PS2 on your pc and using ppsspp on your android phone to entertain yourself on lunch breaks.

Hope you have as much fun as I have had! peace out!