Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help trying to play a FDS game on Nestopia

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Need help trying to play a FDS game on Nestopia

In short i'm trying to start playing Esper Dream on Nestopia version 1.46 but the emulator says I need a FDS bios file, and I don't have one. Anyone know where I can find one?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yup, the no-intro set.

But if my memory is right, no intro FDS game images seem to not work properly with Nestopia, il have to test.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh, if possible i'd like to just grab the bios without an entire set of games coming along with it. As for the games potentially not working with Nestopia, well the only other Nes emulator I have is jnes and it doesn't even recognize .fds files.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by rmcin329 View Post
    Eh, if possible i'd like to just grab the bios without an entire set of games coming along with it. As for the games potentially not working with Nestopia, well the only other Nes emulator I have is jnes and it doesn't even recognize .fds files.
    There we go, you need to update

Currently the only way to get the latest build is either do it yourself or use Retroarch, if you wish to learn how to use it il be more than happy to teach you, I was just playing it from the no intro set, runs fantastic.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay, Nestopia is refusing to recognize the .bin format that the bios comes in after being extracted.(simply doesn't show up when I try to configure it). If i try to select the zip file instead, it says something along the lines of there not being a file it can use in the achive. Thoughts?

EDIT
    As for needing to update jnes, I generally just use the latest version from the emulator's homepage, and in the case of jnes that is 1.1, which I already have.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay, Nestopia is refusing to recognize the .bin format that the bios comes in after being extracted.(simply doesn't show up when I try to configure it). If i try to select the zip file instead, it says something along the lines of there not being a file it can use in the achive. Thoughts?
    Did you read the comments on the page I linked to?
    The bios may or may not work in every emu, if it's not working for you then I guess you could try renaming the file and see if that works
    Rename it to disksys.rom

Edit:
    There's also the SHARP Twin Famicom bios if you want to try that:
    http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_F...Japan%29/88257

Again, if it doesn't work try renaming the file.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 17th-August-2015 at 05:32.

Spoiler warning:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Do as DL said and rename it to disksys.rom and that should fix the issues.

its running fantastic in RA , I need to try in Nestopia vanilla and if no one does il attempt to build the latest source code myself.

Thanks
    EP Points

Place the bios in the root folder of the emu, not the roms folder.

Edit:
    Found another download for you to try if you need another alternative:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 17th-August-2015 at 06:01.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    Did you read the comments on the page I linked to?
    The bios may or may not work in every emu, if it's not working for you then I guess you could try renaming the file and see if that works

Edit:
    There's also the SHARP Twin Famicom bios if you want to try that:
    http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_F...Japan%29/88257

Again, if it doesn't work try renaming the file.
    First off i'll admit I didn't read the comments, i usually just skip over them honestly. As for placing the bios in the root folder of the emulator, that was the very first thing I did after downloading it. In any case renaming it to disksys.rom seems to work fine for Nestopia(this is using the bios from the main site).

EDIT
    Okay after getting to the main menu and pressing start the game screen simply states "set side B." None of the buttons I have set up do anything at all. My controller config works fine in other games on Nestopia and Esper Dream does acknowledge me pressing start after bootup so I don't think my controller configuration is the issue here. I wonder if its just the emulator having a hangup maybe.
    Last edited by rmcin329; 17th-August-2015 at 07:07.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

FDS options are under Machine>External>FDS

or just press Shift+B to switch to side B .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Warrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I hadn't realized that fds disks are double sided . Well, all seems to be working fine now.

Thanks
    EP Points

First off i'll admit I didn't read the comments, i usually just skip over them honestly.
    Yeah I usually do for games, but for bios it is sometimes a good idea to take a quick look. I don't think it's that unusual for a bios file needing to be renamed, but maybe that's only because of the stuff I've looked at quite recently

As for placing the bios in the root folder of the emulator, that was the very first thing I did after downloading it.
    Didn't think it would hurt to mention that just in case. Sometimes it will just be a small thing that is overlooked.

I hadn't realized that fds disks are double sided . Well, all seems to be working fine now.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

One last question. Does anyone have a controls list for Esper Dream? The only guide for the game on gamefaqs has a controls section in the table of contents, but when you scroll down to look for it, it isn't there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Always try searching for the game name with wiki. I typed in esper dream wiki and found this.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.