Thread: WP 8.1 Rom Packages

Thanks

Default WP 8.1 Rom Packages

I think this is in the correct area.

This is a quick question...sort of. I have a windows phone. I found the original ps1 Final Fantasy Tactics on the windows store. It isn't a rom and my windows phone isn't a psx but I played it all day. Brings back memories.
    So what I want to know is: Are these prepackage rom/emulators? The reason I ask is because when I was a kid I had heard that doing that was not legal so I totally didn't have like 20 of them on my desktop. Can anyone give me son insight into how they did this without any legal issues.

Main reason? I would love to do this with Vagrant Story

Thanks
    Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Thread moved.

Edit:
    There seem to be Android/IOS versions of The War of the Lions. If that's the same game you have on your phone it I don't think it's the original PSX game, it's technically the updated PSP variant.

If they're ports available via official stores then they would be licensed I guess.

I can't see Vagrant Story listed for Android or IOS (they are the 2 main platforms that usually see ported games, and emulators)

There are some nice ports out there for Android and/or IOS. Resident Evil 4 and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic are 2 good ones that spring to mind.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 13th-August-2015 at 04:37.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Certain things have been ported over to smart phones. Never knew about FFT being ported to windows based phones though. And if it was ported and you bought it on the windows store then of course it's most likely legal.

Emulators are a gray area depending on the laws of certain countries. However generally speaking as I know it an emulator in of of itself is legal but not downloading the bios itself unless you flash it from your own system. Furthermore with an emulator being legal and you actually own the game and played it straight from the disc then it's ok. Possibly even ripping it yourself and putting it on your portable device which can simply be considered as backing up your owned media would be ok too.

In the end though of course almost no one does this themselves (anymore) and it's safe to say that pretty much any and all emulation violates some aspect of a copywrite law and hence illegal. But who cares? Out of the billion or so people who commit some sort of piracy per day do you really think you'd be thrown in the slammer for downloading an old game hmm? Go ahead and grab your Vagrant Story.

Edit: @ DL the RE4 port is absolute garbage it's just parts of levels and it looks like a camels bum. KOTOR is the full game and it's fantastic no matter what platform even Android. Not to mention all the PS2 versions of the GTA games have been fully ported over to Android too. Halflife 2 and Doom 3 bfg have also been recently ported too. And of course my fave Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 plus expansionns. Hell even all the Telltale games have been brought over. It's big business now. But not so much on Windows phones unfortunately.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 13th-August-2015 at 04:47.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Edit: @ DL the RE4 port is absolute garbage it's just parts of levels and it looks like a camels bum.
    You know why? It's an old game based on the Degeneration engine afaik. KOTOR looks good because it's quite recent, but I'm sure that would've looked worse and been cut down (although with a game like that cutting stuff out wouldn't be as simple as what was done with RE4) had it been released years ago for less powerful devices.

Baldur's Gate looks like shit

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Well I still have my original Vagrant Story disk so I am going to try it

The link below points to the windows phone store with the ps1 and the gba versions

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sear...tics&form=apps

Forgot. Can't put links in yet. And thank you for moving tho to the right spot

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    You know why? It's an old game based on the Degeneration engine afaik. KOTOR looks good because it's quite recent, but I'm sure that would've looked worse and been cut down (although with a game like that cutting stuff out wouldn't be as simple as what was done with RE4) had it been released years ago for less powerful devices.

Baldur's Gate looks like shit
    I don't agree at all. It was just a shitty attempt with RE4. Period. And BG looks better than the original PC versions. But it is an old game to begin with even with the so called enhanced editions. But I suspect you're just trying to be an ass on that point

Edit: but you're right about the port for re4 being older. But the gta games were around the same time and they work fine.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 13th-August-2015 at 05:05.

Thanks
    EP Points

Only teenagers care about GTA games

Spoiler warning:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlegion For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh cool. I didn't know this was place where I could ask a question and have it turned into a pissing contest ������ Well I guess I will go figure out how I packaged them before and see what I can do with the WP 8.1 dev kit. Thanks fellas

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Riesengarde View Post
    Oh cool. I didn't know this was place where I could ask a question and have it turned into a pissing contest ������ Well I guess I will go figure out how I packaged them before and see what I can do with the WP 8.1 dev kit. Thanks fellas
    Welcome to EP

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Yeah . If there was a welcome mat to this forum I think it would say" we are no help but we are entertaining.....sort of." Sorry but I don't have time to listen to what seems to be a married couples bickering. I'm an adult, mostly. Have fun with you lovers quarrel and I will find help elsewhere.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah . If there was a welcome mat to this forum I think it would say" we are no help but we are entertaining.....sort of." Sorry but I don't have time to listen to what seems to be a married couples bickering. I'm an adult, mostly. Have fun with you lovers quarrel and I will find help elsewhere.
    Well your poorly put together question was answered as far as possible. Sorry if some of us have known each other for years and play a bit which you can tell by the smilies.

Seems to me you just couldn't wait to insult someone here.

On a personal note you can simply take your holier than thou attitude and just fuck off. Damn trolls.
    Last edited by Zaladane; 15th-August-2015 at 08:26.

Thanks

Oh I'm terribly sorry if I am not aware of the fact that you are butt buddies butt if you will read both of your comments back to yourself you understand that a new comer wouldn't know that you are friends. And holier than though couldn't be further from reality. But as i said I don't have time for childish antics. As a real business man, not a burger flipper or a lacky in some cubicle, I have shit to do.have a good night and eat a dick and good luck grabbing at the crumbs that you likely call a paycheck. And now I will also tell you to fuck off as you so maturely put it. Fuckin piece of shit

Thanks
    EP Points

Lol.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh I'm terribly sorry if I am not aware of the fact that you are butt buddies butt if you will read both of your comments back to yourself you understand that a new comer wouldn't know that you are friends. And holier than though couldn't be further from reality. But as i said I don't have time for childish antics. As a real business man, not a burger flipper or a lacky in some cubicle, I have shit to do.have a good night and eat a dick and good luck grabbing at the crumbs that you likely call a paycheck. And now I will also tell you to fuck off as you so maturely put it. Fuckin piece of shit
    I don't get paid for anything here. I just hang around moving threads, fix things when people can't be bothered reading and that sort of rubbish.
    Your maturity has left me stunned.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I'm an adult, mostly.

Thread closed.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookie Monster For This Useful Post: