Thread: Games when they are first released against GOTY

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Games when they are first released against GOTY

Fallout 4 will be here soon. Bought a PS4 to get it plus a few other games, but it occurred to me that I always get goty editions of fallout games. I'll probably wait for this one to get to GOTY as well, which raises the question is it worth getting games when they first come out at a time where the games can be half finished and patches are introduced later, or getting the game when its a complete version plus the DLC.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'd get it now if you want to play it and can afford it, then get the GOTY edition in the future if you don't want to buy the DLC separately as it releases (or via season pass).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

If it's a game you really want to play, get it now. There's no point in waiting 1.5/2 years to play it, unless you already have games to keep you busy until then.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

If you're really keen get the standard version asap and play it. Then trade it asap and buy the GotY/complete version when it's available.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

Well, I usually wait on most games to get a good bundle or a nice discount. However, I make an exception for games by certain publishers, including Bethesda.
    -HaloEliteLegend. Remember that.

Thanks

Grab it now while you're at the peak of actually wanting to play it now - it's genuinely fun that way!

Thanks

Yea get it when you want it. Fallout 4 will be really buggy and they probably won't even have removed dragon shouts out but I have a feeling it will have a better fallout vibe. Fallout New Vegas felt like a cowboy game instead of 1950s sci-fi apocalypse if you don't know what I mean

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's a Bethesda game, it's never worth getting on release because of how broken their games are. That's why I always wait at least a year, by then it's half playable from official patches, or mostly playable due to fan patches.

That and I refuse to ever pay full price for anything labeled DLC.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolus Aeneas View Post
    It's a Bethesda game, it's never worth getting on release because of how broken their games are. That's why I always wait at least a year, by then it's half playable from official patches, or mostly playable due to fan patches.

That and I refuse to ever pay full price for anything labeled DLC.
    OP is talking about PS4. Beth games are very playable by the time they get to complete editions, sure you might see the odd weird thing (invisible dragon etc) or a console freeze but you can minimise that by taking simple precautions. With Fallout games on PS3 you avoid things like using energy weapons all through the game (leaves goo/ash piles everywhere which don't disappear), minimise your total amount of saves, don't jump around in combat with a heap of enemies around, if the game seems to lag when loading a new area then stop and wait. If you see enough lag and it's bothering you (or any other weird shit) exit the game, start it again and clear cache.

I've seen quite a few non-Beth games that have worse issues that are pretty much unavoidable and praying is the only precaution
    Tomb Raider PS3 mp was a glitch fest, really badly broken.
    Metro Last Light PS3 had a chance of corrupting your save rendering it completely unusable (which isn't fun if you've nearly finished a run on hardest difficulty, a Shadow Ranger run...this game isn't easy imo). You can't backup save to USB iirc but you can use cloud if that's available for you.

Spoiler warning: