Thread: Anyone get Four Swords Adventures properly working?

Thanks

Default Anyone get Four Swords Adventures properly working?

I have it running functionally with my girlfriend and I.

We were both playing perfectly fine, however, how exactly do you play the game when you can't see inside buildings and so forth?

For example, when we walk into a building, it just shows our icons on our player portraits walking around a black space...we have no idea what's actually in the buildings or caves. Same thing sort of happens when you try to talk to NPC's or read signs, it just pops up with a text bubble saying "GBA".
    I tried looking at the GBA screen for VisualBoyAdvance M and it never changes, all it ever says is "Look at TV screen".

Thanks.

EDIT: I should mention, i'm talking about the gamecube version (just requires GBA to play it for some reason)

Thanks
    EP Points

The thing with FSA is when you are not in a field area the game switches to a GBA screen.

When playing Solo you'll notice this, when you enter an building for instance a GBA screen appears and overlaps whats happening on the TV view behind it.

So essentially you switch between two views in this game: TV/Field & GBA.

In this mode you don't actually need a GBA at all.

When playing Multi however you are required to use two GBA's.

See for some reason Nintendo decided that in order to properly put Multiplayer in the game it would be too hard to deal with the screen switching nonsense so when playing you only use the GBA's to play.

Normally on that note players would link up two GBA's to the Cube and look between the TV & GBA to play.

So in order to play FSA properly together use two GBA's as controllers in the Pad Section this should fix the issue.

And the Dolphin's Main Window will act as the TV while VBA-M will be the GBA.

You'll need two VBA-M's going at the same time to link up properly so make sure Pause When Inactive is unchecked.

There maybe some tweaking you'll need to do with VBA-M to link up both GBA's. Also little side note but make sure VBA-M has no game running.

FSA's linkup requires just the GBA on its own so boot the BIOS cuzz to link up on a real GBA you turn it on and wait for the connection to establish and boom done.

Let it sit on the BIOS screen and eventually a red Nintendo logo will appear when the connection works.
    Last edited by Pokemongenius; 3rd-August-2015 at 02:30.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks

I did all that you said, except one thing.

So basically what you're saying is to use a controller instead of the GBA setting on dolphin? Right now i've had it set to GBA... i could try controller tomorrow and let you know. I'm assuming it's going to use the GBA screens on VBA-M as alternates.

Thanks
    EP Points

When playing Single Player Mode you can use a controller and it's not required to use a GBA.

When the GBA Screen appears you control Link still with the controller rather than the GBA.

When playing Multiplayer Mode it's required to use at least two GBA's.

When playing Multiplayer you'll be toggling your view between what's happening on the GBA's and what's happening on the TV/Dolphin screen.

It's better to understand if you see this yourself in action. Play Single Player Mode and go into a building and when that happens a GBA screen will overlap the TV/Dolphin screen.

When that happens your still using the Gamecube controller to play.

But when you want to play Multiplayer set up the controllers in the Pad section of Dolphin as GBA's. Multiplayer requires at least two GBA's.

You'll need a Cube controller as 1P in order to navigate the menus prior to linking up since the menu of the game requires it.

I don't think you can change your controller in the middle of the game but if you can, when it's time to link up switch Cube with GBA.

Either way try that and if that doesn't work then put the GBA's as 2p and 3p and see what that comes up with. Although I have a bad feeling that might not work.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks

EDIT: I figured it out. What you were saying was basically right.

What I had to do was start with a standard controller on the main menu and switch it back to GBA when it needed to detect controllers...now everything works.

However, I do have one problem.

How do you save the game? I can't figure out how to save inside the game so I tried to use a save state, but when you load up a saved state, it just all crashes, partially because the VBA-M needs to reload both clients...then it just crashes.

EDIT: I read online there is save points after each section. Either way, I'll experiment now. I do appreciate all the help.
    Last edited by djust45; 3rd-August-2015 at 14:51.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by djust45 View Post
    EDIT: I figured it out. What you were saying was basically right.

What I had to do was start with a standard controller on the main menu and switch it back to GBA when it needed to detect controllers...now everything works.

However, I do have one problem.

How do you save the game? I can't figure out how to save inside the game so I tried to use a save state, but when you load up a saved state, it just all crashes, partially because the VBA-M needs to reload both clients...then it just crashes.

EDIT: I read online there is save points after each section. Either way, I'll experiment now. I do appreciate all the help.
    The game will prompt you to save after a level is completed. There are 3 areas per level so there are plenty of opportunities to save the game.

Do not use Save States on either emulator.